Cats

robin

40 minutes ago, mercedes said:

LOL it's brilliant...I also wants to see the whole cat,judging from the tail he/she must be huge and a real beauty!

I've just found his photos... not sure how big he is, but he is cute!:tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw:

Hello everyone! I'm sorry, I don't really have a cat or a cat story to talk about here, and this is probably off topic, but I'm desperate. I have a cat that lives in my backyard that my family and i have been feeding for a while now. I'd really like to eventually bring her into the house, but right now just isn't a good time. We've been feeding her for maybe 3 months now? 

Anyways, my question is, are there ways to earn a cat's trust? She lets me get somewhat close to her now when I feed her, but she's still very tensed whenever I'm next to her. I just want to somehow convey to her that I don't want to hurt her, but I've never had a pet, so I'm not really sure how. 

Thank you all in advance! Sorry that this doesn't really relate very much to the criteria for this thread...:thankssign:I'd really appreciate any advice from people who have experience with cats! :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

Just now, Hope_and_Legacy said:

Hello everyone! I'm sorry, I don't really have a cat or a cat story to talk about here, and this is probably off topic, but I'm desperate. I have a cat that lives in my backyard that my family and i have been feeding for a while now. I'd really like to eventually bring her into the house, but right now just isn't a good time. We've been feeding her for maybe 3 months now? 

Anyways, my question is, are there ways to earn a cat's trust? She lets me get somewhat close to her now when I feed her, but she's still very tensed whenever I'm next to her. I just want to somehow convey to her that I don't want to hurt her, but I've never had a pet, so I'm not really sure how. 

Thank you all in advance! Sorry that this doesn't really relate very much to the criteria for this thread...:thankssign:I'd really appreciate any advice from people who have experience with cats! :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

Do you think this cat is feral or a home cat? And in the latter case, do you think you are just one of his yummy halts to escape diet food at home because her humans found she was too fat, or that she is homeless?

5 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Do you think this cat is feral or a home cat? And in the latter case, do you think you are just one of his yummy halts to escape diet food at home because her humans found she was too fat, or that she is homeless?

Thank you for replying! Sorry, i should have clarified. I could be wrong, but I think she's feral. She is uneasy around humans, and she also does her business in our backyard. Also, I've known her since she was a little kitten. In fact, she was born in my backyard. 

So I'm quite sure that she's feral. But I'm also aware that some of my neighbors feed her occasionally. Thanks for the response, and I'm sorry that i forgot to clarify. But i could be mistaken, these are just my thoughts based on my observations. :thankssign:

One of my relatives managed to partly get a feral cat to settle, but outside, a bit like a farm cat but in town, by providing somewhere sheltered to sleep ( it’s a catnip fiend which helps, so some of that sprayed on an old rug in a hutch type arrangement worked) and regularly feeding.  They also put crushed worming tablets in the food to try and help health wise, and flea stuff, though they couldn’t face trying to get him to the vets for anything more invasive.

I found this vid v amusing

1 hour ago, Sombreuil said:

One of my relatives managed to partly get a feral cat to settle, but outside, a bit like a farm cat but in town, by providing somewhere sheltered to sleep ( it’s a catnip fiend which helps, so some of that sprayed on an old rug in a hutch type arrangement worked) and regularly feeding.  They also put crushed worming tablets in the food to try and help health wise, and flea stuff, though they couldn’t face trying to get him to the vets for anything more invasive.

I found this vid v amusing

We had three when we had a large garden, three males, born there, we didn't interfere with the mother when she bred them, but the next spring we tried to establish relations by feeding and getting closer and closer; only one of them answered, and accepted to sleep inside (we had to open the door before 7am, otherwise we had to clean, he never learnt to use a cat WC).

Unfortunately, three months later he went missing (either he died, or he was "trapped" in a house, or he lost his way). The two other ones remained but wouldn't let themselves approach — or even feed, the surroundings abounded in rodents and other prey. But they warmly welcomed the young female we had adopted then, when we let her out, exhausted by the repetition of her heats. She had two very nice kittens, who found a well situated home, and was patiently taught hunting. 0:)

On 7/24/2020 at 12:49 AM, Hope_and_Legacy said:

The two cats I have lived with were both feral cats when they met my family, but I am not sure if they were born feral, so I am not sure if I know how to befriend a cat that has never lived with a human... but when I want to get close to a cat, I don't try to get physically close to them from the beginning. I say hi to them, maintaining a distance. I try not to move fast or make a big noise. I also try not to look directly into their eyes. I would narrow my eyes or blink slowly when our eyes meet. (I may look creepy while doing all this...:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:) When the cat is curious enough to come a bit closer, I make a fist and put it closer to their nose to let them sniff it. If the cat is relaxed enough to sniff it, they often let me stroke them and wear their smell. Most of the cats become less tense after we finish this greeting.

Also, both of the feral cats chose to live with us when they really needed to do so. One met with us in snow and the other was found taking shelter under a snow fence at my home, so it may be easier to invite the cat when the weather isn't good.

43 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

The two cats I have lived with were both feral cats when they met my family, but I am not sure if they were born feral, so I am not sure if I know how to befriend a cat that has never lived with a human... but when I want to get close to a cat, I don't try to get physically close to them from the beginning. I say hi to them, maintaining a distance. I try not to move fast or make a big noise. I also try not to look directly into their eyes. I would narrow my eyes or blink slowly when our eyes meet. (I may look creepy while doing all this...:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:) When the cat is curious enough to come a bit closer, I make a fist and put it closer to their nose to let them sniff it. If the cat is relaxed enough to sniff it, they often let me stroke them and wear their smell. Most of the cats become less tense after we finish this greeting.

Also, both of the feral cats chose to live with us when they really needed to do so. One met with us in snow and the other was found taking shelter under a snow fence at my home, so it may be easier to invite the cat when the weather isn't good.

I believe the slow blink means "I am in peace with you" but implies no direct contact at the moment. I learnt it from a mother cat given to my parents, she had that longer nose of the second generation of feral cats though she had been bred as a farm cat and was an extraordinary hunter, even of snakes; and I think she accepted me as a friend, more or less. She also taught me that when a cat wants no more strokes and hits you with the claws out, you have to stay still during the hit, otherwise you get scratched, because it is a warning hit, meant not to scratch, just stopping when hitting. Yet I was rather dumb, I think.

I find it extraordinary how Yuzuru Hanyu, who has no cat (but who seems to feel what others feel), can establish an immediate and intimate relationship with a stranger cat.