Team Spain

1 hour ago, Yatagarasu said:

Since the Spanish Nationals are approaching, guys are you interested in a Nats thread? I thought I'd check first. Last season we had a livestream so maybe it'll happen again.

Er... how many competitors do they have? Maybe, we could just do it here? 

1 minute ago, Yatagarasu said:

We can but thought I'd ask.

There are 10 seniors entries, and about 30 junior entries. 

Hmmm, some hope for them with 30 juniors. Ten seniors is... lovable. They'll be over with them more quickly than we with one discipline. But it's gotta begin somewhere! 

1 minute ago, Fay said:

Hmmm, some hope for them with 30 juniors. Ten seniors is... lovable. They'll be over with them more quickly than we with one discipline. But it's gotta begin somewhere! 

It's mostly girls. I didn't include Novice girls but there are 32 of them, then we go to 21 Junior girls. So that is encouraging for sure, you do have to start somewhere indeed.

I am sort of more discouraged by the numbers in the boys. Only 5 Novices, and 5 Juniors. It's the worst in Pairs/ID but that's not so odd. I did expect more boys though. 

21 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Macho culture plus the Great God⚽️

so many talents lost because they'd rather run after a ball (like thousands of other kids) :tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

To be fair, there are still not so many ice rinks there, but yes, I think macho culture is what really holds down figure skating, in Spain and in western countries in general. No amount of sad total-black costumes can change that most people think fs is girly:13877886:when it requires such dedication and mental strenght! To think that skating is not suited for "true men" also belittles girls who have more grit and work harder than many grown "true men" (whatever "true men" are:facepalm:)

I wonder if documentaries on the physics of  figure skating wouldn't help change the image of the sport, making people realize it's as hard as running on the grass after a ball.:facepalm: Japanese documentaries sometimes get a bit overly dramatic, but they succeed in making you appreciate those athletes.

Of course, you have to make people watch those documentaries...:shrug: But they could...I don't know, make some reality show where soccer players get to learn to skate? That could get some attention (then make them go against junior skaters and watch as those muscular guys are soundly beaten :evilgrin0030: I so want to see this :devil3::devil3::devil3:)