Team Spain

9 hours ago, crazykuroneko said:

@kaeryth I was just about to post it lol.

It says Laura, Javi's sister, took part in technification of Madrid Federation. I wonder what the 'technification' means here?

Hahaha... yeah. I sometimes check Hieloespanol's twitter for Javi updates then I saw "Laura Fernandez".

Maybe trying to get minimum TES to be able to compete? /just a wild guess/

I hope he manages to keep the momentum going for Spain.  In the 70s everyone in the UK thought John Curry and Robin Cousins meant a new renaissance for FS in the UK but it faded away.  Social media might help him keep the profile of skating high- back then if the TV wasn't showing it momentum disappeared rapidly - now we get coverage very quickly on the internet (always excepting Fuji TV) and social media spreads the gossip.  That isn't always a positive thing but it's less likely to sink without trace- and he has the charm to keep it going which JC and RC didn't.

I hope spain seriously considers taking the lead in developing figure skaters in western europe. There is not that many outside of ice dance, and I for one do not understand why that is the case.

Lack of money, very few rinks, shortage of high profile competitors to get people interested in being involved.  There was a children's programme on BBC about the Nottingham rink where Torville and Dean trained and one girl who was half of a promising novice team ( ice dance I think) was having to live away from home during the week in order to train which isn't easy at 13 or 14.  When the point came to move up to Juniors with all the extra training and even less time with parents and friends she chose to stop - it was too much.

hace 8 minutos , Sombreuil said:

Lack of money, very few rinks, shortage of high profile competitors to get people interested in being involved.  There was a children's programme on BBC about the Nottingham rink where Torville and Dean trained and one girl who was half of a promising novice team ( ice dance I think) was having to live away from home during the week in order to train which isn't easy at 13 or 14.  When the point came to move up to Juniors with all the extra training and even less time with parents and friends she chose to stop - it was too much.

The best Spanish skaters train abroad. Currently I don't think it is possible to compete at highest level if you train in Spain. Javi had exceptional talent for jumps from the start and it helped him to get noticed by foreign coaches. 

Exactly - and he had to move abroad at what - 17? That's quite a hard thing to do, I know several young language students who have trouble at the age of 20 when their university requires them to spend a year abroad to immerse themselves in the language and they are functioning in the shelter of an academic framework.  It's quite intimidating to live in a foreign culture, hard enough to adapt from the UK to Paris or Berlin, even more so to move to Brazil or Tokyo for a year.  It must be doubly difficult if you're not a language student and you have to tackle that barrier as well.

1 hour ago, Floria said:

The best Spanish skaters train abroad. Currently I don't think it is possible to compete at highest level if you train in Spain. Javi had exceptional talent for jumps from the start and it helped him to get noticed by foreign coaches. 

And Javi spent part of those initial pre-Orser and Toronto days moving around with Morozov, right? I don't think he trained in the same country/rink all the time. 

hace 12 minutos , xeyra said:

And Javi spent part of those initial pre-Orser and Toronto days moving around with Morozov, right? I don't think he trained in the same country/rink all the time. 

He trained in New Jersey with Morozov. I have read in some spanish source that he spend sometime in  Moscow also.

Just now, Floria said:

He trained in New Jersey with Morozov. I have read in some spanish source that he spend sometime in  Moscow also.

I remember some Javi interviews mentioning Morozov wanting to relocate more than once which is one of the reasons (beside the focus on Amodio) that led to Javi changing to Orser, but I guess it was just New Jersey and Moscow?

That's still a lot of cultural dislocation - Madrid to New Jersey to Moscow.  And Moscow is not just another language it's another alphabet- the person I knew who went to Brazil to study Portuguese at least had it easy on that score- the one doing Japanese studies had kanji and hiragana to cope with and it wasn't easy even after three years study at a top uk university.  I can't imagine trying to get to grips with Russian if you'd no background in it.