Team Spain

Javier Fernandez's last bow to Europe and the world

Q: Could you talk about the way you see skating evolve? You seemed quite angry coming out of the short program. 

Javier: Yes, I was angry that my quad Salchow was deemed underrotated when it was not. Throughout my career I’ve been mad when the judges put me first after a bad skate. But I’m mad also when I skate well and get penalized. Judges have the slow motion and they can check.

You know what action I would like this to open? Judges consider landing to evaluate a jump, which is fine. But they should also consider the take-off. So many skaters rotate half a turn less just in the take-off. What is fair? And what is not?

Another interview on Marca.com in Spanish 

He sounded really angry about his scores in this interview haha (but I don't think Kolyada's scores were more problematic than Samarin's...)

3 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Another interview on Marca.com in Spanish 

He sounded really angry about his scores in this interview haha (but I don't think Kolyada's scores were more problematic than Samarin's...)

Oh wow, should i translate this :P? He is very angry lol he said some... stuff hahaha

ETA: Translated here, under spoiler because ouch...

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Hydroblade said:

Oh wow, should i translate this :P? He is very angry lol he said some... stuff hahaha

ETA: Translated here, under spoiler because ouch...

Hide contents

Thanks for the translation! I translated it with google translate and I could totally feel his anger lol :laughing:

Now he has every right to speak out but I don't necessarily agree with him in some parts. His PCS in the SP was more than okay (if not generous a bit), it may have been higher a bit had he competed during the SP. But he made a mistake and Kolyada was completely clean so no wonder he got high PCS too (not that I agree with that score!). 

And he did get level 3 StSq sometimes - not often, but it happened a couple of times in the past years. He even received a level 2 StSq at Autumn Classic last season.

His 94+ PCS in the free skate was really generous. But they had to give him such a high score because Samarin got crazy 88 PCS. I can't imagine what would have happened if they'd given him 91-92 PCS and Samarin had won the title...

16 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

His PCS in the SP was more than okay

It's funny, 'cause yes, if you look at Javi's scores alone (not talking about that questionable UR now), they are okay. But when you look at Samarin's after that... Honestly, I don't know how they could give him 42 in SP, that SP is c-o-m-p-l-e-t-e-l-y empty. I was shocked watching it at arena, like, just preparation for elements and elements themselves. How could such program get 42? So if Samarin got 42, Javi should have got about 50, which is impossible. Judging was really weird...

5 hours ago, Arwen said:

It's funny, 'cause yes, if you look at Javi's scores alone (not talking about that questionable UR now), they are okay. But when you look at Samarin's after that... Honestly, I don't know how they could give him 42 in SP, that SP is c-o-m-p-l-e-t-e-l-y empty. I was shocked watching it at arena, like, just preparation for elements and elements themselves. How could such program get 42? So if Samarin got 42, Javi should have got about 50, which is impossible. Judging was really weird...

Yes, they had to give higher scores for Javi and Kolyada, after they gave those PCS to Kovtun and then Samarin. Imagine if there were only 2 or 3 points difference in PCS between Samarin and Javi...they didn't want to make it happen.

https://twitter.com/LaLigaSports/status/1091324400446697472?s=19

I: What differences have you noticed between the Javi who first came to Toronto and Javi now, after 8 years?

Brian: Listening to him now at the press conference, maybe it is his English what has improved a lot. From his first conference until now... Before he would only say: "I'm just so happy".

But I watched him grow and become responsible. There are some things he always used to forget and I told him: "Have you sent a photo or email to this person?" expecting "no" for an answer but he told me "Yes, I sent it yesterday". Wow, ok. "Have you got your skates checked?" "Yes, I've already given them to X". Wow, when it used to be me who had to take care of that. He's taken all of those responsibilities even for his shows and the camps... There were some days when he had to come early to training to teach kids and there he was. He's more punctual when he's a teacher than when he's a student, for the kids he does arrive on time.

What has been your most important competition alongside him?
Brian: I don't know. There's many, for many different reasons. The first European title was very special. I knew what a challenge it was for an athlete to win Euros. Participating in the European Championship and winning it is huge. I remember that when I skated as a kid, I watched Euros to know who would win. We always knew the European Champions were great skaters, so I knew how important it was for him to win that title first. Also, his first medal at Skate Canada, everyone was crying.
And he's always been grateful. With his family, with the team, he's always said good things about us, about Tracy and David. We've had the same team since the beginning, with no changes, organizing everything. We planned the programs, the music, the costumes... I usually brought the ideas for the music and costumes. And I knew I could put a trashbag on him and he'd have worn it. He's always believed in us and we've always believed in him. That's why it has worked. We've been together for 8 years and he's the student I've been teaching for the longest time. With Yuzu it's been 7 years. Javi could have fired me... but not anymore because it's over (T/N: I guess he means "he's finished his career?), so I'm good, we've overcome it.

I: Everybody in Spain knows Javi.
B: Really?
I: I believe so.
Brian: You know what? The first year he won Euros no one knew who he was. And now they do. But to get there, at first, he had to be consistent with the European titles. And then he has his Worlds titles and Olympic medal. I think that's enough for his name to become known. In addition to all the work by the media supporting him. It's a complete effort.

I: What advice do you give him for his next chapter?

B: You're on your own, friend (joking). Keep being yourself. He has all the tools to be successful in everything he does. He already knows what it's like to work hard, organize, lead people... He can live on his own, counting on people. I'll always be there for him, so will Tracy. Sometimes he asks for advice and I'll always give him my opinion, I'm happy for that and I hope it can continue that way. But now he has all the tools to go on with his life.

Do you think he could be a good coach?
Brian: I think he'll be a great coach when the time comes. I don't think he should start coaching now, because he still has the athletic level (T/N: aka he's still fit) to keep skating as an entertainment. I've told him: do that as long as you can and afterwards you could start coaching. And he'll be a great coach.

Laura Barquero and Aritz Maestu are also competing, and apparently Valentina Matos also qualified for Worlds :congratualtions:

I’m so happy Sara and Kirill were chosen to represent Spain in ice dance. I have nothing against Adrian, but Olivia’s constant saltiness and shade made me really dislike their pair :tumblr_inline_n2pje39gH11qdlkyg:

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/deportes-invierno/20190204/46195478257/sara-hurtado-y-kirill-jalyavin-iran-al-mundial.html