Team Spain

If he wants to promote FS in Spain ( or indeed his own career) he needs to be the unreconstructed football loving Latin bloke and grab these opportunities.

1 hour ago, Sombreuil said:

If he wants to promote FS in Spain ( or indeed his own career) he needs to be the unreconstructed football loving Latin bloke and grab these opportunities.

Unfortunately true but I do think he likes it as well.

Though you know, I genuinely wonder if he can do anything. Usually it'd need someone coming right after him, at least a good Junior to keep the interest going but there's nobody there. He's got an uphill battle ahead of him.

Since the topic came up, my two cents... I do find what Javi does for figure skating in Spain is very admirable and I think it's great he has such big plans and I really hope they work out, but I'm afraid a day will come when he'll be badly disappointed, because he really is alone in this battle and the "oooh, Olympic medalist!" charm will wear off, sooner or later. Especially since he's retiring. It would have been different to go hard at it while still active, I think. OK, he did that a bit after his first world title and GPF in Barcelona, but it was hard while also training and it didn't really take off. I don't know, it feels a bit like he's fighting windmills (which I guess is somewhat appropriate ^_^; ). I sometimes wish he were a little more selfish and do more for himself. The million ice shows are for himself, yes. But I do think he should try to further increase his popularity in Japan, where the FS money really is... (I'm always surprised that although he is popular among Yuzu fans, and he did gain some popularity when he was dating Miki, he doesn't seem THAT popular in Japan? Or maybe I'm wrong and he is...) If he misses CiONTU as it now seems he will, I think that's actually not a great decision... (unless, of course, he didn't actually get invited, but that would be even weirder, to me). But we'll see I guess. He knows his priorities better and all we can really do is support him. And I really hope in the future his ice shows will happen earlier in the year, too, so I can go, too!

On 13.4.2018. at 4:47 AM, KatjaThera said:

I don't know, it feels a bit like he's fighting windmills (which I guess is somewhat appropriate ^_^; ). I sometimes wish he were a little more selfish and do more for himself. The million ice shows are for himself, yes. But I do think he should try to further increase his popularity in Japan, where the FS money really is... (I'm always surprised that although he is popular among Yuzu fans, and he did gain some popularity when he was dating Miki, he doesn't seem THAT popular in Japan? 

I do think he is fighting windmills, without a doubt.

One possible avenue for him would of course be accepting international students, and I am sure he will. If he achieves success with them, then that might help keep him afloat and in the public eye at least somewhat, which would help. But that is a very big if because it's not just about the skill of the coach (which is also untested yet) but also partially if you'll luck out in that one talented person to work with, who can have visible results, and of course, that person needs to be able to work with him.

I'm glad he is doing the shows but that's a very limited reach, at least in Europe, outside of Russia. But that is more of a general problem that I don't think Javi alone can work on. He could perhaps try poking and prodding at ISU, coordinating that with Ari and all those folks who have already been trying for years but I'm skeptical. It may take a full generational change before something moves there, if then.
As for Japan, I genuinely am not sure, we'd have to ask a Japanese member here but hmm, yes, I am not sure you're wrong. The money is there though he may be more reluctant to travel frequently so far, if he's really set his eyes on the coaching bit so what he has now, may be enough for him.

Javi will appear on a Japanese TV show "Honoo no Taiiku-kai TV" (not sure when)

He is known as Yuzu's teammate (and also as Miki's ex)  and his performance at PyeongChang seems to have been received favorably by general viewers in Japan. He'll join Fantasy on ice tour too, so he'll have some more media appearances in Japan. But I think he has already been doing as much as he can in Japan as a foreign skater. Even though figure skating is popular in Japan, it's not like you can appear on ice shows and TV shows all through the year. Also, we don't know how long the sport will stay popular in Japan. So relying only on Japan is not wise. I think he is right to put his priority now (right after his biggest achievement) on promoting FS in his own country even if it might seem to bring not much profit at first.