Team Spain

1 minute ago, SparkleSalad said:

I was prepared for retirement but not for leaving TCC. :sadPooh: I feel so shaken. My legs are weak. I'm in a bit of shock. 

I mean idk why I didn’t equate the two but yeah that hit me like a train as well, I’m so sad he’s leaving (and after all that “stay as long as they want” talk) :sadPooh:

I'm so sad???? I was prepared for a lot of retirements including Javier's but I didn't expect he would leave Cricket :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid: I don't know, with Brian saying he's allowed to stay for as long as he wants, and Javier saying he wants to coach(?), I would have thought he'd stay as like a student teacher/coach. I should have seen it coming, but for some reason I just didn't expect it. I'm so sad now :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

Anyway, good luck to Javier, if this is really what he wants and what he really thinks is the best for him, I can only wish him all the good things, I'm curious of how his coaching situation will be like since he apparently still wants to compete in Euros but that's for another time.

Uh guys, let's not get too depressive. Javi's devoted many years of his life to skating. Right now, give him some time to catch up on the rest of this thing called life. He might want to stay a year or 2 in Spain, get stuff done for skating in Spain (lots of work), you know he's also at an age where he might be looking into marriage and getting a family started. But once that settles down, he might still go back and apprentice under Brian. There's also the possibility he might still go back to Toronto from time to time, just not in a permanent basis, so there's no point to maintain a year-long apartment lease.  Who knows, he might start a brother/sister rink in Spain with TCC? 

If he wants to promote FS in Spain he has to ride the impetus of that Olympic medal, and if he's going to semi retire he can't do that from Canada - he's got to be there in Madrid, doing his ice show and exhibitions and the public coaching sessions.  Canada was for hard core competition training, for which he's given up a lot of years, lived away from home on his own, in a climate that is very different to his own country.  The fact that he was able to function in a normal way in Canada, living in a flat, fending for himself, managing to cope with a foreign language etcetc doesn't mean that it was ideal, and if he's decided to retire going home to Spain seems logical.  It's a pity that the need to ride that Olympic impetus means that he can't take up the offer to learn about the  coaching side from Brian, but in real life things often don't line up perfectly.  Having said that, he's been away a long time and it will be interesting to see if, as he mentioned himself as a possibility, he gets bored!

1 hour ago, Sombreuil said:

If he wants to promote FS in Spain he has to ride the impetus of that Olympic medal, and if he's going to semi retire he can't do that from Canada - he's got to be there in Madrid, doing his ice show and exhibitions and the public coaching sessions.  Canada was for hard core competition training, for which he's given up a lot of years, lived away from home on his own, in a climate that is very different to his own country.  The fact that he was able to function in a normal way in Canada, living in a flat, fending for himself, managing to cope with a foreign language etcetc doesn't mean that it was ideal, and if he's decided to retire going home to Spain seems logical.  It's a pity that the need to ride that Olympic impetus means that he can't take up the offer to learn about the  coaching side from Brian, but in real life things often don't line up perfectly.  Having said that, he's been away a long time and it will be interesting to see if, as he mentioned himself as a possibility, he gets bored!

Yep to all this.

It's ok to be sad, I too am sad about this.

But let's also be real. 

If this is how devastated we are when it's Fernandez, I think we need to start crowdfunding for the therapy we'll need when 'the inevitable' happens. 

Something must be wrong with me because I am not sad at all. I know I will miss him so much but at the same time I'm very happy for him. I was a bit sad after the free when I thought about it most likely being his last competition. That all changed when I saw the photos of the reception he had at the airport and the other pics with his family and fans. He is happy and satisfied and I am so happy for him :happy:

I agree that he needs time now for himself after devoting so many years to skating, so I will only wish him the best of luck and pray that his future endeavors are successful  :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

There is a real joy in watching someone who worked so hard achieve their goal and I am experiencing that joy right now with Yuzu, Javi, Aljona and others :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Aw, so sad to hear this move from Toronto... but, he often spoke of missing Spain and his friends/family.... and he's achieved the goals he probably didnt think he'd ever achieve. His popularity in Spain is at an all time high... opportunities are all over the place for many of his dreams... and now he has a Spanish girlfriend... I am sure the strings pulling him home are very strong. It makes me wonder how soon the strings from Japan will pull on someone else....