Chopin

3 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

I confess that I like Chopin 1 costume better than the second version! :7938863:

Me too........what will he be wearing for this season's version I wonder??!! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw:

I actually like Chopin 2.0, both the programme AND the costume, better than Chopin 1.0. I'm in the minority (?) It seems :laughing:

While the previous choreo was made to fit the musical structure of Ballade more accurately, it seemed kind of empty and stale to me...I liked the programme, but that's it.

Chopin 2.0 accuented the "mellow/dreamy" aspect of the first half and the "rebellious/tormented" aspect of the second half better imo. Yuzuru's posture also improved A LOT, of course, and his arm movements, while still sharp, were not as frantic as in the previous version.

Imo, Chopin 2.0 is more organic, too. It looks like a coherent piece unlike the 1.0 ver, which looked like a bunch of movements thrown here and there with the only purpose of fitting the music.

"Restrained madness" is what I associate with Ballade. I hope that the 3.0 ver, with its maturity, won't lose its abandon and wildness:tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

Ps. @SparkleSalad I love you for making this thread:tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw:

8 minutes ago, Saya said:

I actually like Chopin 2.0, both the programme AND the costume, better than Chopin 1.0. I'm in the minority (?) It seems :laughing:

While the previous choreo was made to fit the musical structure of Ballade more accurately, it seemed kind of empty and stale to me...I liked the programme, but that's it.

Chopin 2.0 accuented the "mellow/dreamy" aspect of the first half and the "rebellious/tormented" aspect of the second half better imo. Yuzuru's posture also improved A LOT, of course, and his arm movements, while still sharp, were not as frantic as in the previous version.

Imo, Chopin 2.0 is more organic, too. It looks like a coherent piece unlike the 1.0 ver, which looked like a bunch of movements thrown here and there with the only purpose of fitting the music.

"Restrained madness" is what I associate with Ballade. I hope that the 3.0 ver, with its maturity, won't lose its abandon and wildness:tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

Ps. @SparkleSalad I love you for making this thread:tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw:

I save up all my real world usefulness and channel it into 5 second thread creations. It's a really tough job so I appreciate your lovin'.

I prefer 2.0 as well, the costume too, though I love the very pale blue he wore for 1.0 at CoC. My ideal would be CoC shirt with gold or silver belt if he's not going with anything dramatically different. (Tatsuki Machida's Beethoven costume otherwise.)

I like the CoC costume colour too - especially if we get a black/ red Seimei, a pale and delicate blue will be a nice contrast - both with the FP costume and scary Chopin face which I hope to see in PC

10 hours ago, Saya said:

I really think those two spins during the first musical climax in Chopin 1.0 fit the music perfectly. Putting two spins on a musical climax highlights the music; putting steps + quad combination on a musical climax exploits the music but it doesn't necessarily highlight it. On the contrary, Chopin 1.0's 3A is done out of the blue, during an almost completely silent section of music. Music retreats to leave space to skating. This way, it becomes sort of like a game; sometimes skating gives in, sometimes music gives in. Everything to come together during the Step Sequence, in which skating and music become one, completely fused, in a way I have never seen in any other skating performances. 

I absolutely love both Chopin 2.0 and 1.0. I think Chopin 1.0 plays with the music a lot, and I appreciate it. Both versions are from another planet.

8 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

I really think those two spins during the first musical climax in Chopin 1.0 fit the music perfectly. Putting two spins on a musical climax highlights the music; putting steps + quad combination on a musical climax exploits the music but it doesn't necessarily highlight it.

!!!!! i know right?? im so, so glad that Chopin 3.0 put the two spins back there and change it so that the sit spin (and those hand movements) fit in with the climax more! i could scream about this forever. like, especially if you listen to the whole piece of Ballade No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 23, you know that steps-quad-steps just doesnt cut it, or more like, the steps dont cut it. here, it used to be like this, from 1:19 to 1:51

yes, its a quad-triple combo n every steps n hand movements match with the music and its awesome already, (the quad-triple took the highlight though as i assume ppl will be more interested in whether he land it or not. its also the combo jump) but that climax part is long and imo every note there (1:19-1:51) deserves to be highlighted. i also feel like that note after the quad combo (1:39 -1:45) is such a waste to be only steps (yes yes he hopped and they did what they could with the choreography and i still appreciate it )

on another hand, the second half, 2:32 - 2:39, is really suited to steps-quad combo. that note at 2:39 especially feels really good after he lands the quad-triple. sorry yuzu that hand movement is not enough for me :sadPooh:

disclaimer, i'm not a die hard classical music fan nor i understand anything about classical music (other than occasionally making it my background music as i do something), but if you guys have moments to spare please listen to the whole piece of ballade no 1, here 0:00 - 09:00, its the first one. i feel like maybe people will have a new perspective after that (like i did before bc i initially doubt the placement of the first spin but its actually a perfect place and his hand movement in the donut spin improved it more :smiley-love017:)  sorry for blabbering i just really love this program, a lot. 

4 hours ago, swanbeau said:

but that climax part is long and imo every note there (1:19-1:51) deserves to be highlighted.

Yes, exactly, that section is extremely Chopin-esque meaning that it's a sort of 'conclusion' that gets delayed, and delayed, and delayed, and the more the pianist tries to finish, the more notes he finds on the sheets, and Yuzuru spinning there is a fantastic metaphor of the notes creating a tornado in which the skater gets caught - I even think that spinning there helps Yuzuru feel the music more! I have tried playing Chopin ballade and that climax is one of the 2-3 parts in the whole piece which are really really difficult. So, really, doing anything that 'distracts' from the music doesn't give it the right importance. 

Now I really wanna see some new spin variations tho. 

13 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Yes, exactly, that section is extremely Chopin-esque meaning that it's a sort of 'conclusion' that gets delayed, and delayed, and delayed, and the more the pianist tries to finish, the more notes he finds on the sheets, and Yuzuru spinning there is a fantastic metaphor of the notes creating a tornado in which the skater gets caught - I even think that spinning there helps Yuzuru feel the music more! I have tried playing Chopin ballade and that climax is one of the 2-3 parts in the whole piece which are really really difficult. So, really, doing anything that 'distracts' from the music doesn't give it the right importance. 

wow i love your description about it being a tornado that the skater gets caught! i cant play piano but that climax already sounds really difficult to me :laughing: (pity they dont include the other climax bc its also beautiful, although i think yuzu's choice of cuts are already perfect)

21 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Now I really wanna see some new spin variations tho. 

i wonder what new spin he could add though? i used to think the camel+donut spin is too 'calm' (?) for that part but then he added the hand movement n it feels different already (i kinda wanted more stuffs to happen but like, what? i feel like changing position after donut in that part will disturb the flow, or maybe he could change position on the note where he start the hand movement but idk enough figure skating knowledge to imagine what position n i dont want him to scrap the hand movement completely)

the sit spin is his forte n he has a lot of variations on this, so this part could be more likely to get something new added. but personally, i just really want him to dicth the A spin n skate-over-head spin in the last part lol but since those variations are the ones he practices the most n therefore he could spin really fast (which fits with the music), i'm not holding my hopes up :sadPooh: