Romeo + Juliet 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

On YouTube there is a brief comment by a French commentator when the camera shows a close up of his face after he finished: his eyes were closed, he was dripping with sweat, gasping for air, absolutely radiant with youth and she said, “My god, that face.” Because he truly looked like the most beautiful, passionate, desperate youth one could imagine falling hopelessly in love. It’s stunning. He is stunning. 

On 01/09/2017 at 1:06 AM, SparkleSalad said:

:sadPooh::sadPooh::sadPooh:

Is there a word for painful nostalgia? I feel like there must be but I can't think of it. 

On 01/09/2017 at 1:09 AM, Hydroblade said:

Japanese to the rescue. I feel 「懐かしい」 (natsukashii) when watching Nice's Romeo. It's the perfect word :sadPooh:

I know this is rather old posts from over 6 months ago but I just couldn't let it pass.

To me, the emotion that Yuzu's performance at Nice evokes is 「懐かしくて胸がキュンとする」

It's the feeling that you get when you look back your younger days. The memories of love, heartbreak, friendship, ect that you've once had. After you're grown up, when you see a young person in the middle of it all, you relive that moment through  them. His performance brings me the feeling of young and helpless as well as desperately wanting to have something or someone that is unattainable. The feeling that I almost forgot that I've felt once comes back every time I watch this performance. Romeo yearning for Juliet. He's desperately fighting and refusing to accept the fate. When you're young, things look just black and white or all or nothing.

Jumping technique or skating skills can be taught but the ability to evoke such feeling through performance is a gift. Like a painter paints a picture and a composer creates music in order to express the shape, colour or world that exist in their souls.

I have never cried watching a figure skating performance before until I saw Yuzu's RJ1 Nice. Ever since, I am like a broken tap but only he knows how to turn it on:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

5 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I know this is rather old posts from over 6 months ago but I just couldn't let it pass.

It's the feeling that you get when you look back your younger days. The memories of love, heartbreak, friendship, ect that you've once had. After you're grown up, when you see a young person in the middle of it all, you relive that moment through  them. His performance brings me the feeling of young and helpless as well as desperately wanting to have something or someone that is unattainable. The feeling that I almost forgot that I've felt once comes back every time I watch this performance. Romeo yearning for Juliet. He's desperately fighting and refusing to accept the fate. When you're young, things look just black and white or all or nothing.

Jumping technique or skating skills can be taught but the ability to evoke such feeling through performance is a gift. Like a painter paints a picture and a composer creates music in order to express the shape, colour or world that exist in their souls.

I have never cried watching a figure skating performance before until I saw Yuzu's RJ1 Nice. Ever since, I am like a broken tap but only he knows how to turn it on:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

:thanks:  Thank you for sharing it even after all this time. I'm sure I'll use that phrase often from now on.

If you compare other top skaters at the same age as this baby Romeo, you can see they might have a lot more strength and stamina but, as you said, he has the artist's gift. A genius. No one else can make me cry, either. :)

1 hour ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I think it was on this thread, but someone said how they wish they had known of him back in 2009/10/11/12.  I feel that “kuyashii” as well. How could this talent, this beauty, this lovely boy, develop and me not know about it? But if I dwell on it, I will be  spending my time regretting what can’t be undone—he is simply not 17 and I simply did not know of him. And so I can just look upon his 23 year old self and my ( ahem) self and live a good life, as he would recommend. But at the risk of sounding like a pervert, my word he was beautiful. Still is, but geeze...

懐かしくて胸がキュンとする」 that means the nostalgia that makes my chest hurt?  If so, yeah. わかった。

16 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

Thank you for posting, you expressed so well how he can evoke such strong feeling and bare his soul in his performances. R+J1 wasn't the first skate of Yuzu's to make me cry, but once I discovered it... yeah.

edit- to phrase things better! sorry, I'm tired :13877886:

On 9/1/2017 at 5:51 AM, Murieleirum said:

I don't feel nostalgic at all. Yuzuru is the same Romeo he was back then. The same pure, naive fierceness and passion. I bet if he put on the Romeo costume today (would it fit? mmmh... maybe too much muscle now xD) and did the program, he would find within himself the same spirit he had back then, and maybe he would be surprised by it too.

The only thing I could be sad about is that when he was growing up and giving the world such treasures already, I had no idea he existed and I was living a miserable, lonely life. Not that now I'm happy because of him excusively, but I think he would have been a hope, for me, growing up, and instead I only got to know him when both me and him were already, basically, adults. I hope lots of adolescents and pre-pubescents will get to see him, because he really goes a long way to show that fighting is always worth it, whatever monster you are fighting, whether it is outside of you or inside of you, or maybe both. This program is more than just a figure skating routine. Yuzuru takes you so deeply within his own heart and your own heart, you're really not sure where you are in the end. 

Ahh I just found this post since I'm new(ish) to the forum, and it made me smile, since we just saw him in the costume again. Reflecting on this for me personally, it's not a "nostalgic" feeling for past me or past Yuzuru that I get watching this program... I get the feeling of fighting with everything in your soul, and rediscovering the strength to fight when it's been lost. This program really touches me in that way. I guess there is also a part of me that feels sad I didn't discover him sooner, too... What Yuzu says about each person's individual experiences affecting how his performance is received is really true ^^

1 hour ago, Whee1000 said:

This is an old post but why were his lips purple? Asthma? Thank you!

It's never been explicitly confirmed, but it would be in keeping with his history of asthma. I used to be extremely stressed watching him, and felt like yelling, 'SOMEONE GIVE THE KID AN INHALER and WHY ISN'T HIS COACH WAITING THERE WITH AN INHALER??" Like my rational mind knew that they must have planned for this and received the approval of his doctor, but my medic mind was like, someone with a history of asthma, working that hard to breath, using his accessory muscles like that, and with blue lips needs his freaking inhaler! 

3 hours ago, Noelle said:

Ahh I just found this post since I'm new(ish) to the forum, and it made me smile, since we just saw him in the costume again. Reflecting on this for me personally, it's not a "nostalgic" feeling for past me or past Yuzuru that I get watching this program... I get the feeling of fighting with everything in your soul, and rediscovering the strength to fight when it's been lost. This program really touches me in that way. I guess there is also a part of me that feels sad I didn't discover him sooner, too... What Yuzu says about each person's individual experiences affecting how his performance is received is really true ^^

Aaaaah thank you for making me read my words from (almost) a year ago! xD He did find his old spirit, didn't he? Watch how that pre-step sequence scream was unleashed! He's still the same little beast he was at 16, if not even more dangerous! Ah, quoting Max Ambesi, how can you not love him... 

• 4 weeks later...

Coming back after watching Romeo and Juliette in opera...I can appreciate this program even more. The opera had glamorous stage sets and lighting design, dialogues, lyrics, an entire orchestra, numerous supporting characters, and 2.5 hours...Yuzuru had his music, choreography, and skating. Yet he told the story in 4.5 minutes.

Of course some lines and sentiments were skipped, coming from a 16/17 year old and in such short time frame, but wow the frankness is so pure.

And for the millionth time, kudos to Nanami-Sensei for this piece.

• 2 years later...