Eurovision Song Contest

Hydroblade

16 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Okay so, I have no idea which skater might go well with this favourite of mine, but I was obsessed with this song exactly during the summer of 2010 and I don't even think it's that bad! 

Plus, I think it might be musically perfect for a nice Short Program! :laughing:

Wasn't she the one that almost drowned while recording the song's music video? Why do I still remember all these random facts, Jisus XD

14 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Oh, look, when Spain's song actually represented our feelings towards our participation in Eurovision: TROLOLOL :darklordyuzu:  (We don't talk about what happened last time, we're still pissed we didn't get our deserved 0 points. Really, Europe? ¬¬)

1 minute ago, Valkyria said:

Wasn't she the one that almost drowned while recording the song's music video? Why do I still remember all these random facts, Jisus XD

Oh God. Random Eurovision facts I was not afraid of. 

Bringing the MOST QUALITY EUROVISION EXPERIENCE because no thread or conversation about this mighty contest of talent should ever be without it. It is known.

(I dare any skater to skate to this. Instant success, all the awards, etc.)

2 minutes ago, Valkyria said:

Bringing the MOST QUALITY EUROVISION EXPERIENCE because no thread or conversation about this mighty contest of talent should ever be without it. It is known.

(I dare any skater to skate to this. Instant success, all the awards, etc.)

I would unironically love a program to this :knc_brian1:

3 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Oh God. Random Eurovision facts I was not afraid of. 

This is what happens when you've been a loyal watcher for years and your country's commentator is a bottomless source of random stuff (he's also quite misogynistic, which makes me love the new option to just leave the original broadcast as is. Thank you, technology)

Just now, Valkyria said:

This is what happens when you've been a loyal watcher for years and your country's commentator is a bottomless source of random stuff (he's also quite misogynistic, which makes me love the new option to just leave the original broadcast as is. Thank you, technology)

Notice my intention was writing 'I was not aware of' but it works either way :laughing: Yeah, I'm not completely fond of Italian commentary either. I mean, truth is I'm not fond of 80% of the songs who actually go to Eurovision. More than encouraging cultural curiosity towards european countries... mostly it encourages the homogenization and flattening of musical taste. Those 20% of songs that do the opposite, though, are kinda worth it. 

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

Notice my intention was writing 'I was not aware of' but it works either way :laughing: Yeah, I'm not completely fond of Italian commentary either. I mean, truth is I'm not fond of 80% of the songs who actually go to Eurovision. More than encouraging cultural curiosity towards european countries... mostly it encourages the homogenization and flattening of musical taste. Those 20% of songs that do the opposite, though, are kinda worth it. 

Globalization at play, I'm afraid. Even if not all countries are in it to win, most contestants are chosen via public voting and it seems logical that the genres and kind of songs we see in the final product are all similar to what is mainstream and widely liked. Now it's a novelty every time we get a more traditional or culture representative song :shrug:

But still, nice music is nice music and most of the time the songs at the top are good, even if we have to wade through a million diva-type songs or ballads to get there :smiley-sick030:

Just now, Valkyria said:

Globalization at play, I'm afraid. Even if not all countries are in it to win, most contestants are chosen via public voting and it seems logical that the genres and kind of songs we see in the final product are all similar to what is mainstream and widely liked. Now it's a novelty every time we get a more traditional or culture representative song :shrug:

But still, nice music is nice music and most of the time the songs at the top are good, even if we have to wade through a million diva-type songs or ballads to get there :smiley-sick030:

Yes, this year public vote demonstrated both that people don't care but they also do care, which is actually encouraging! A song like Moldova's song, which has everything but culture in it, and uses a meme to obtain votes, was voted by a looot of people. But then, a lot of people also voted Hungary's song which took Eurovision's theme to heart and whose artist wasn't afraid to use a language different from English - and hey, it wasn't even such traditional music, it mixed different genres, it represented a minority that is veeery discriminated in a lot of European countries (Romani people). Curiosly, Hungary was barely taken into consideration during National votes, and was re-evaluated by popular vote. Who knows why.

But I also did like Portugal's song very much! It was a fair and deserved win. Doesn't happen every year though.

42 minutes ago, Valkyria said:

(We don't talk about what happened last time, we're still pissed we didn't get our deserved 0 points. Really, Europe? ¬¬)

I don't remember who gave you points. It was a sacrilege. Not even Portugal gave you points, that should tell you something. :laughing: