General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, SparkleSalad said:

He looked so happy by the boards but now I'm worried. Does he really need to take this risk? :13877886: Or will we see a beautiful, perfect, amazing 4lz?

I think this is like the 4S during 2014 Olympics. He knows he can do the jump and taking it off because he can't land it will be like not doing his best.  

I've been thinking about Yuzu's priorities for the season just underway.  Obviously the Olympics comes first as far as competitions go.  What comes second?  As far as official stature goes, Worlds would be next, with the GPF third.  However, I'm wondering if the GPF might actually be second for Yuzu.  Think about it.  He's won Worlds twice, but between the first and second win he came away with silver.  Right now it appears he owns the GPF.  Four straight.  Nobody's done that.  Four total.  Plushenko's done that but not consecutively.  With five straight Yuzu would probably lock up the GPF record book permanently.  No male skater has had five GPF victories.  With a fifth GPF victory Yuzu would be well on the way to being able to claim 'absolute champion', depending on his getting a second Olympic gold.  Worlds this coming spring would be potentially icing on the cake.  There have been three-time World Champions aplenty.  There was even this fellow in the early 20th century who won Worlds ten times, with plenty who have won four and five times.  I don't think Yuzu is willing to go the distance to get eleven world championships, besides many of these super-multiple winners were decades ago when men's figure skating was a very different thing than it is now.  The GPF, however, does not have a long lineage yet, only coming into existence back in the '90s, just as the World Championships began back in the 1890s and have occurred every year since, except for interruptions due to the two world wars.  Just like that Swede, Ulrich Salchow (now we know where that jump came from) with his ten victories (two sets of five consecutive wins) established a record that will certainly never be broken, I think Yuzu is seeing his GPF wins as the record he sets that might never be broken, not simply for the number but also their consecutivity.  If he continues competing after this year he might use his GPF results as a means of deciding when to retire, leaving competing when he finally is defeated at a GPF.  Of course there is another record he might decide to equal (I don't think he could break it) and that is Gillis Grafstrom's three consecutive Olympic golds in 1920, 24, and 28.  We just might be seeing a 27-year-old Yuzuru Hanyu competing in Beijing in 2022.  Just some food for thought, everyone.

25 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I've been thinking about Yuzu's priorities for the season just underway.  Obviously the Olympics comes first as far as competitions go.  What comes second?  As far as official stature goes, Worlds would be next, with the GPF third.  However, I'm wondering if the GPF might actually be second for Yuzu.  Think about it.  He's won Worlds twice, but between the first and second win he came away with silver.  Right now it appears he owns the GPF.  Four straight.  Nobody's done that.  Four total.  Plushenko's done that but not consecutively.  With five straight Yuzu would probably lock up the GPF record book permanently.  No male skater has had five GPF victories.  With a fifth GPF victory Yuzu would be well on the way to being able to claim 'absolute champion', depending on his getting a second Olympic gold.  Worlds this coming spring would be potentially icing on the cake.  There have been three-time World Champions aplenty.  There was even this fellow in the early 20th century who won Worlds ten times, with plenty who have won four and five times.  I don't think Yuzu is willing to go the distance to get eleven world championships, besides many of these super-multiple winners were decades ago when men's figure skating was a very different thing than it is now.  The GPF, however, does not have a long lineage yet, only coming into existence back in the '90s, just as the World Championships began back in the 1890s and have occurred every year since, except for interruptions due to the two world wars.  Just like that Swede, Ulrich Salchow (now we know where that jump came from) with his ten victories (two sets of five consecutive wins) established a record that will certainly never be broken, I think Yuzu is seeing his GPF wins as the record he sets that might never be broken, not simply for the number but also their consecutivity.  If he continues competing after this year he might use his GPF results as a means of deciding when to retire, leaving competing when he finally is defeated at a GPF.  Of course there is another record he might decide to equal (I don't think he could break it) and that is Gillis Grafstrom's three consecutive Olympic golds in 1920, 24, and 28.  We just might be seeing a 27-year-old Yuzuru Hanyu competing in Beijing in 2022.  Just some food for thought, everyone.

Kind of a tangent, but why not since it made me consider: I do think Yuzu covets and prioritizes his GPF streak; he's made history with it unlike the other titles (even OGM where he'll be second man in modern history, which is a feat in itself, but). Plus GPF is a priority as he probably knows winning GPF this season is the best indicator of momentum and strength going into the Olympics.

Also that a repeat of Sochi season might play a factor. Yuzu was always a threat to Patrick during Sochi, but he became the biggest threat with his GPF win. So if Hanyu doesn't take his fifth GPF title this season, we'll at least know, not through these GPS imo but with the GPF, who the biggest OGM contenders and favorites going to the Olympics are. Or more like whoever breaks Hanyu's winning streak at his claim to the GPF throne (much like how he was the only skater to beat Patrick's winning streak during the Sochi season) will be a force to reckon with not only at PC but in the upcoming era.

I'm assuming Hanyu will also like to go to PC as the absolute champion, as the reigning Olympic, World and GPF champion. So this season I also see GPF as a bigger priority than Worlds just for that (though I see him going to Milan to defend his title for that too).