General Yuzuru Chat

I appreciate those who responded to my recent post although I think they perhaps misread what I was saying.  My understanding is that Brian almost certainly saw Yuzu's talent for what it was.  He would have seen the vast potential that Yuzu was showing back then.  What I was wondering, though, is whether Brian had any inkling of the sheer public phenomenon Yuzu would become, particularly after that pivotal 2013-2014 season when Yuzu became the first male in more than a decade to simultaneously hold the Olympic title, World title, and GP title, and this at the age of nineteen.  Even then, though, I think he must have been surprised by just how good Yuzu would become.  Just look at his expression at the 2015 GPF when Yuzu finished breaking the three records he had set just two weeks before.  I don't think any coach, no matter how prescient, could have foreseen those two weeks in late 2015.  I'm not even sure Yuzu did, although look at Yuzu's expression after he finished his long program when he was skating around before taking his formal bows.  That expression seems to be pure  - There, I told you so - as if he knew he was capable of being the GOAT and had just proved it.  What I find most admirable about Brian, though, is that he readily accepted Yuzu's desire to keep improving and did everything he could to bring about that improvement.  We all know about Brian's own skating record and it is a very admirable legacy, but I really think his greatest legacy will be his coaching of Yuzuru Hanyu.  I have a strong suspicion that Brian is the only coach out there who could have done the job.  I might add that Javi should also be recognized as the constant rival Yuzu needed to keep moving forward.  Yuzu has been quite vocal about his desire to get a second gold at the Winter Games but I think it's been the constant presence of Javi that has stiffened Yuzu's determination and kept him from overconfidence.  Those two World Championsips Javi took are a blessing in disguise.  They kept Yuzu properly aware that he was not invulnerable, just as his recent misperformance of his long program at ACI acted as a wakeup call.  It was good, also, that he came in second behind Javi.  At least we can be comforted that the Yuzumania has been going on long enough for the entire Yuzu team to acquire the skills and mindset to handle it.  At Sochi the press interest in Yuzu was primarily from the Japanese.  This time the press will be from all over since during the time since Sochi Yuzu has genuinely established himself as a living legend.  It's gonna be a real circus out there this time.

7 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I appreciate those who responded to my recent post although I think they perhaps misread what I was saying.  My understanding is that Brian almost certainly saw Yuzu's talent for what it was.  He would have seen the vast potential that Yuzu was showing back then.  What I was wondering, though, is whether Brian had any inkling of the sheer public phenomenon Yuzu would become, particularly after that pivotal 2013-2014 season when Yuzu became the first male in more than a decade to simultaneously hold the Olympic title, World title, and GP title, and this at the age of nineteen.  Even then, though, I think he must have been surprised by just how good Yuzu would become.  Just look at his expression at the 2015 GPF when Yuzu finished breaking the three records he had set just two weeks before.  I don't think any coach, no matter how prescient, could have foreseen those two weeks in late 2015.  I'm not even sure Yuzu did, although look at Yuzu's expression after he finished his long program when he was skating around before taking his formal bows.  That expression seems to be pure  - There, I told you so - as if he knew he was capable of being the GOAT and had just proved it.  What I find most admirable about Brian, though, is that he readily accepted Yuzu's desire to keep improving and did everything he could to bring about that improvement.  We all know about Brian's own skating record and it is a very admirable legacy, but I really think his greatest legacy will be his coaching of Yuzuru Hanyu.  I have a strong suspicion that Brian is the only coach out there who could have done the job.  I might add that Javi should also be recognized as the constant rival Yuzu needed to keep moving forward.  Yuzu has been quite vocal about his desire to get a second gold at the Winter Games but I think it's been the constant presence of Javi that has stiffened Yuzu's determination and kept him from overconfidence.  Those two World Championsips Javi took are a blessing in disguise.  They kept Yuzu properly aware that he was not invulnerable, just as his recent misperformance of his long program at ACI acted as a wakeup call.  It was good, also, that he came in second behind Javi.  At least we can be comforted that the Yuzumania has been going on long enough for the entire Yuzu team to acquire the skills and mindset to handle it.  At Sochi the press interest in Yuzu was primarily from the Japanese.  This time the press will be from all over since during the time since Sochi Yuzu has genuinely established himself as a living legend.  It's gonna be a real circus out there this time.

I don't think Brian could guess just how far Yuzu would go. As you say, he surely saw the potential, but turning that potential into results depends on a lot of things, so potential isn't a good indicator.

However, I don't think Brian thinks of success in the same way we do. I don't think an awesome skate equals record breaking to him. It's hard to explain what I mean, but I think the things that matter to Brian and make him satisfied and happy with what he's achieved are different and the medals and records are more like the cherry on top. Proof of that, to me, is Tracy saying that when Javi won his first title - so after Yuzu's hat-trick and 10 records broken - Brian told her that that was their greatest success story. Because Javi was pretty much a mess when he first went to Toronto and they were able to help him go from there and achieve his potential and become a World Champion. With Yuzu... I guess in a way it was expected of him, because he was a prodigy and dubbed a genius ever since before he'd landed his first quad. Of course, few probably believed he'd get this far - and this is where the support and the things you mentioned later, which I absolutely agree with, come in - but in a way it was expected he'd get far. So there's different kinds of success. But I'm pretty sure Brian and Javi and everyone know Yuzu is probably the GOAT, and I think, at the end of the day, when he breaks records, laughing and shaking their heads in disbelief is pretty much all they can do.

As for Yuzu at GPF15 - and all his other "I did it!" faces - he knows when he did well. Subconsciously or otherwise, he knows he just blew the rooftop off and was either perfect or nearly so. But at GPF15 he said in that recent show that he wasn't sure he'd broken the record he'd set at NHK, until he saw the score. So, for him, too, a good performance, even a perfect one does not necessarily mean a broken record. Especially when it's close and he can't know how the judges will feel. Also, it's one thing to expect a record breaking score and it's another thing to have it confirmed.

And like I said, I fully agree Brian was probably the only coach who could help Yuzu grow like this. And it's funny, in a way, because it wasn't an easy road and they had their hurdles, even as far as communication goes, but even with that, I don't think anyone else could have given Yuzu the support and guidance that helped him get to where he is now. And with Brian comes the whole TCC crew, including Javi. And I agree with you there, too, that Javi played a big role in Yuzu's growth as well.

And you know who alone probably saw all this coming - if maybe not to the full extent? Yuzu himself. He chose Brian and TCC and Javi. And they were the people/things that helped him reach his goals and probably even go beyond them. His ability to spot opportunities and see the bigger pictures is amazing. (Just like he always knew how big and important quads would become, when many others didn't believe it.)

I have no idea if that actually went close to what you wanted to discuss, as I got a bit carried away again. It's a really interesting topic, so I can't help it. ^_^;

Anyway, I hope we'll get another Team Brian book post-Pyeongchang. I'd hope for more interviews, maybe with all three of them... so maybe on day we'll hear it all from Brian himself.

4 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

Me right now:

COR is so near: :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n2pje2YFXq1qdlkyg::10636614::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

COR IS SO NEAR: :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid::tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_mqt4gqDerH1qz4rgp::14066882:

There's no in between... :13877886:

A few more days. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

I don't know what to think. Lol. I'm excited :smiley-happy085:but anxious at the same time :tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid: 

I read somewhere about not putting our hopes up with the way Yuzu have before he doesn't go full out until NHK. :shrug:

1 hour ago, Sammie said:

I read somewhere about not putting our hopes up with the way Yuzu have before he doesn't go full out until NHK. :shrug:

But he already proved to have changed by breaking that SP world record in ACI... so you never know...

My expectations this time around are just enjoying his skating... I just love Chopin and Seimei so much, I want him to enjoy them as well... so my tiny hope is just NOT to see a complete bombing, a la ACI Seimei. I want his mind to be on the game. 

Just a few days until the season really begins.... I hope Yuzu can win, but don't expect, or hope for, a great performance. I don't want him to be like 2015, where at gpf he was worried any  mistake he made would make him get less than the nhk score, thereby putting too much pressure on himself and feeling fear. I want him to land his lutz ( if that is the plan) to get that out of the way, and then skate a good, but not perfect, Seimei. They timed it perfectly last season... hopefully they can do it again.

13 時間前, SparkleSaladさんが言いました:

Lewl Nobu. :biggrin: Is the Eros comment about YoI? (Still haven't seen it.) Who wants to expain to me?

Hahaha, I love him. 

13 時間前, kaerythさんが言いました:

I know the "eros" comment is from YoI but I've forgotten what it meant. I have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot of Yuri on Ice during the GP series (TV Asahi owns the rights to show the GP series / final in Japan as well as Yuri on Ice).

11 時間前, Aotoshiroさんが言いました:

:offtopic:Not to mention the fact Nobu did have a Cameo as himself in YoI (The best parts of the series tbh, were cameos from the skaters) xDD

As for Eros-technique on ice so alluring you don't care about gender of its user, only it's so good (of course, played for laughs with the nosebleed from the female part of the audience). 

I can already imagine Yuzuru teasing Nobu about that...so so much xD

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but the narrator's the same guy who voices the protagonist.

9 時間前, KatjaTheraさんが言いました:

Hanyu Yuzuru Selfie Exhibition? :mischief: That's an interesting campaign title...

9 時間前, Xenさんが言いました:

Do you think he takes many selfies? :headdesk:

9 時間前, KatjaTheraさんが言いました:

Didn't Kanako say he's a narcissist? (j/k, I know the Japanese meaning is different and it was more teasing than serious)

I think I'd like a definition of selfie, though, because there's no way any of the pictures shown along with the title were selfies lol (Although a Yuzu selfie CM or so could be really fun)

There's apparently going to be a photo exhibition of sorts featuring Hanyu to commemorate the product's 20th anniversary where people can take selfies with the guy. Whether it's with the guy himself or just the exhibited photos of him remains unclear.

(Those pictures we see are the ones printed on the clear folders they're giving away as part of the campaign, I think, or they could be the photos on exhibit themselved.)

3 hours ago, liv said:

Just a few days until the season really begins.... I hope Yuzu can win, but don't expect, or hope for, a great performance. I don't want him to be like 2015, where at gpf he was worried any  mistake he made would make him get less than the nhk score, thereby putting too much pressure on himself and feeling fear. I want him to land his lutz ( if that is the plan) to get that out of the way, and then skate a good, but not perfect, Seimei. They timed it perfectly last season... hopefully they can do it again.

same~ I really hope Yuzu will win over Nathan but really a silver would not be the end of the world so i'm kind of relaxed about it XD I don't really think Yuzu will bomb but i'm not expecting flawless performances either. 

If we see 4lz I hope he can land it even if it's a Javi-save type landing :laughing: 

14 minutes ago, CupidsBow said:

same~ I really hope Yuzu will win over Nathan but really a silver would not be the end of the world so i'm kind of relaxed about it XD I don't really think Yuzu will bomb but i'm not expecting flawless performances either. 

If we see 4lz I hope he can land it even if it's a Javi-save type landing :laughing: 

I think its kinda an immature pride thing for me that given he's the only one in the top 6 who didn't win a gold in his first comp, i'm aching for him to get a gold here (over another top 6!) just to cement that he going into this Olympic season not just a contender, but the one to beat! :hachimaki:

But like I said, I'm aware its a really illogical, immature purely pride driven sentiment, and my logical side knows that really isn't whats really truly important in the big picture. :tumblr_m9gct8HYvv1qzckow:

It's hard to argue with emotions sometimes though..... :acceptable:

3 hours ago, kelly said:

:offtopic:but do any of you guys know if the men's practice on September 23 at ACI was live streamed? I can't find it on Skate Canada's Dailymotion

Looking at Skate Canada's DM account these were the only ones they've published.

21 September

Spoiler

22 September

Spoiler

There are fancams though..

Spoiler

Spoiler