General Yuzuru Chat

I am positive no one will ever land 4A before Yuzuru (I mean, he has already landed it, we know it thanks to Max Ambesi, but not in a competition). Because, as I understand it, to land 4A you have to have:

1) huge speed going into the jump. Most skaters slow down considerably before quads.

2) huge height going into the jump. (we've seen it, it should be 17 cm higher than Yuzuru's 3A... I don't even know if any skater's ever jumped that high.)

3) firm control of these two things. Probably very soft knees.

4) But most of all, absolute mastery with the 3A.

All of these characteristics are Yuzuru's strong points. Big jumps, in and out of them with speed, soft landings, the best 3A out there. Even the top skaters that compete with him don't have all of these 4 characteristics together. So, for me, it's a done deal. Yuzuru's gonna do it. We just don't know when.

I am positive no one will ever land 4A before Yuzuru (I mean, he has already landed it, we know it thanks to Max Ambesi, but not in a competition). Because, as I understand it, to land 4A you have to have:

1) huge speed going into the jump. Most skaters slow down considerably before quads.

2) huge height going into the jump. (we've seen it, it should be 17 cm higher than Yuzuru's 3A... I don't even know if any skater's ever jumped that high.)

All of these characteristics are Yuzuru's strong points. Big jumps, in and out of them with speed, soft landings, the best 3A out there. Even the top skaters that compete with him don't have all of these 4 characteristics together. So, for me, it's a done deal. Yuzuru's gonna do it. We just don't know when.

I hope you will land it and I think he will be the first, he has great technique with his 3A, I think he has the best 3A out there. :bow:

And to think that a couple of years ago nobody would talk about 4A seriously... Yuzu the trend-setter :rofl2:

oh no, then that means one day, serious quints talk will come into play :omg: the terror! :ohno:

That would be the day my soul leaves my mortal body for sure. Just thinking about it is giving me a headache... :rofl2:

The skater also has to be able to rotate extremely fast in the air and have a controlled air position... this even rules out quite a few "big" jumpers.

I don't want to be mean, but I snicker a bit at some suggestions about who could do a 4A. Nathan obviously is a great quad jumper (though I don't like the quality on his jumps, he does have 4 types with clean rotation, most impressively 4Lz and 4F with clean take off edges!), but his 3A is by faaaaar his weakest jump. It is usually barely rotated with a lot of skidding at the beginning, he slows down considerably going in, and he lands it on the wrong edge very often. That's just not gonna happen.

It's Yuzu after 2018 Olys or far into the future, IMO.

Happy one week anniversary!

Thank you for admins, mods, and everybody who created this place. :goe: :bow:

And thank you all for updates! Good to know that Yuzu is now back in Toronto. Hope he has a great off-season.

MCM was the first skater who landed 3A in his country, wasn’t he? Maybe he has a special passion for Axel jumps like Yuzu does. I saw Artur Dmitriev’s attempt few years ago, and Yuzu and Mura’s attempts in 2014. But I haven’t seen any attempt which didn’t look scary. Seeing Yuzu landing beautiful 4A is my dream, but I hope he will head for his goal very carefully.

I had the weirdest dream today where there was a curse on the whole planet and the only cure was to solve a giant sudoku on the ice (like, each case of a classic sudoku was another sudoku) and instead of numbers, there were jumps name, and to resolve it one had to carve the letters with skates then jump it.

And since there was a 4A, everybody just turned to Yuzu with Princess Leïa face in Star Wars and "Yuzuru Hanyu... You are our only hope"

And Yuzuru was "Okay, I will do it, that's mine to resolve" :hachimaki:

And the rules to resolve it were so complicated that everybody else just gave up and only our neird Yuzu was still stuying it.

But then he said there was something very important he needed to do before trying... And that was to hug someone.

Then it was pretty much chaos because everybody wanted to give him the hug :rofl2:

What followed is church classified

But in the end he managed to save the world by solving the giant sudoku and doing 4A after 4A

The skater also has to be able to rotate extremely fast in the air and have a controlled air position... this even rules out quite a few "big" jumpers.

I don't want to be mean, but I snicker a bit at some suggestions about who could do a 4A. Nathan obviously is a great quad jumper (though I don't like the quality on his jumps, he does have 4 types with clean rotation, most impressively 4Lz and 4F with clean take off edges!), but his 3A is by faaaaar his weakest jump. It is usually barely rotated with a lot of skidding at the beginning, he slows down considerably going in, and he lands it on the wrong edge very often. That's just not gonna happen.

It's Yuzu after 2018 Olys or far into the future, IMO.

thank you both for the analysis! :goe:

i didn't know yuzu already landed the 4A!!! was this top secret or something??? (maybe in a practice session that wasn't open to public or something...?)

i also agree very much with your analysis. even some of the best jumpers of the young generation have troubles with the 3A, and certainly they can't jump it as high and fast and land it as well as yuzu can.

to do 4A, the 3A must absolutely be mastered first and i see even top skaters messing up the 3A sometimes

(granted, yuzu has messed up his 3A in galas but that was because he was most likely tired after many competitions and also some of his "messed up" 3A were jumped from almost standing position with no long run into it...)

Max tweeted about it a while ago (I think a few months ago? I can't remember off the top of my head)

Also, I remember reading somewhere that the media are only allowed to have one day every year where they can film Yuzuru practising at TCC. Is that still the case?

sublimeskating said:

i didn't know yuzu already landed the 4A!!! was this top secret or something??? (maybe in a practice session that wasn't open to public or something...?)

There's nothing official, but :

- Max Ambesi has tweeted that he's had reports of Yuzu landing 4A at the cricket club a few months ago. He's usually a reliable source.

- Miki Ando said on japanese TV that she had seen Yuzu land a 4A. She could well have seen him at TCC one day she was visiting Javi...

- Brian Orser has said in interview that he was absolutely SURE SURE SURE he would see a landed 4A in a very near future (you can bet he already has but can't tell anyone)

- Yuzu has claimed his love for the axel all year and said on TV he was pretty sure he could land it - and honestly, when has Yuzu said he could do something he couldn't ? :devil:

But of course, there's no footage, no official announcement, we know nothing about quality of said jump, nor success rate ... so we can let our imagination go wild :rofl2:

oh no, then that means one day, serious quints talk will come into play :omg: the terror! :ohno:

That would be the day my soul leaves my mortal body for sure. Just thinking about it is giving me a headache... :rofl2:

urgh, tell me about it. i hate that I have to live on the edge of my seat always pondering yuzu's next move lol. is it another quad? another quad combo? AXEL as a quad? a freaking QUINTUPLE? and none of those he hasn't verbally mentioned at least once :omg:

he has too much power over my life :rofl2:

All this talk of a 4A, its scary. Why if you look for an advantge in the olympics to have that jump would be huge advantage, but saying you can do it to early means that others will try to do something that will compensate for that advanged. And here comes my nightmare, what if Yuzu does a 4A yolo in the olympics. Well there will be no way anyone can change their strategies when the competition is on. So maximum impact. :devil:

The reason why people think it is him who can land it is because he jumps pretty big and he rotates fast. This is a jump that really needs height and that extra airtime. Speed can help you get more height, maybe, but it is height mostly that is needed to get this jump happening. Yuzu can jump 3A from a stand still and land (+fully rotate) it quite often, moreso than others who spend 1000 years setting up for their 3A and still flop it; so speed imo does not play much role as long as you can get the height needed. More speed can get you more distance too, though it does not necessarily mean you will get more airtime. I actually read the jump height analysis someone made, and airtime is highly dependent on the height, not the distance/speed. Those with similar height of their jump will get almost identical airtime, regardless of their speed.

Due to these, you can rule out those that jump small and those who do not rotate fast + have tight air position. Hence, not many people left available.

I also think you probably need lighter boots to make it happen.

All the talk about 4A and quints (what even?!) is making me equal part anxious and excited.

I am training to be an applied mathematician in physical field, the math of quintuple jumps make my hips and knees tingle.

So glad to see Yuzu back at TCC (and yes, how on earth he looks 16? oh, well. He is in his own planet, so...) and hopefully, more news start coming in.

I have a question, but I am so afraid to open a potential can of worms. Have just started following Yuzu since 2014 (and has just recently decided to be more involved), and so do not know his history before then.

I had a conversation on tumblr the other day, and was given the impression that I would understand better Yuzu's somewhat awkward relationship with JFS if I know what happened in 2012 Japanese National. I mean I got the gist of it, I think, but I am not sure. Anyone got links to any discussion about that? If you would pretty please pm me? Thank you! :bow: :bow: :bow:

The reason why people think it is him who can land it is because he jumps pretty big and he rotates fast. This is a jump that really needs height and that extra airtime. Speed can help you get more height, maybe, but it is height mostly that is needed to get this jump happening. Yuzu can jump 3A from a stand still and land (+fully rotate) it quite often, moreso than others who spend 1000 years setting up for their 3A and still flop it; so speed imo does not play much role as long as you can get the height needed. More speed can get you more distance too, though it does not necessarily mean you will get more airtime. I actually read the jump height analysis someone made, and airtime is highly dependent on the height, not the distance/speed. Those with similar height of their jump will get almost identical airtime, regardless of their speed.

Due to these, you can rule out those that jump small and those who do not rotate fast + have tight air position. Hence, not many people left available.

I also think you probably need lighter boots to make it happen.

Very insightful analysis, mcq! :clap: :clap:

I agree a lot with the concern about height. Certain body types just don't allow you to jump very high, it's not something you can work on to improve. So even if one skater has a good 3A, he might never be able to fully complete 4.5 rotations for the same jump. Especially if you look at 'easier' quads he can land and see that his airtime for the quad is almost the same as that for the triple :roll:

I had the weirdest dream today where there was a curse on the whole planet and the only cure was to solve a giant sudoku on the ice (like, each case of a classic sudoku was another sudoku) and instead of numbers, there were jumps name, and to resolve it one had to carve the letters with skates then jump it.

And since there was a 4A, everybody just turned to Yuzu with Princess Leïa face in Star Wars and "Yuzuru Hanyu... You are our only hope"

And Yuzuru was "Okay, I will do it, that's mine to resolve" :hachimaki:

And the rules to resolve it were so complicated that everybody else just gave up and only our neird Yuzu was still stuying it.

But then he said there was something very important he needed to do before trying... And that was to hug someone.

Then it was pretty much chaos because everybody wanted to give him the hug :rofl2:

What followed is church classified

But in the end he managed to save the world by solving the giant sudoku and doing 4A after 4A

:rofl2: OMG that is the funniest story I've ever heard... :goe: