General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, kaeryth said:

Japan Open is in collaboration with IMG (talent agency) and Yuzu is not affiliated with any talent agency (as far as I know) which is pretty rare for an athlete his caliber. I think it's his own personal preference not to be managed by a talent agency (he's done well for himself so far - thanks mama Hanyu). He was invited as a special guest in 2011 after the Tohoku earthquake though. Truthfully, I think the timing of the event is the biggest barrier for him attending.

And it not giving any ranking points, being a fluff competition and only letting you skate the FS. :laughing:

15 hours ago, kaeryth said:

I've been reading about Yuzu doing '200 forms of fanservice' during ACI medal ceremony. Can anyone who attended elaborate for us poor folks?

14 hours ago, kiches said:

I meant to blog about it but haven’t gotten to it yet! Basically he was acting all kinds of cute, I think he was doing it as fan service because he felt bad that he didn’t win and so many came to see him. A couple of things:

- Crouching down by the boards and peaking out with just his eyes. 

- He apologized (he had nothing to apologize for!).

- He went around and basically acknowledged each of the banners. 

- He was gesturing really cutely with Shirota about the gloves. 

- There was more but honestly I can’t remember, normally I would record the medal ceremony and but since I was facing the judges and Yuzu didn’t win this time I wasn’t up for it. 

14 hours ago, Floria said:

I am at work so I can't do a large report right now, but I think @kiches mentioned almost everything he did. He also made a gesture imitating Pooh ears as he noticed fans wearing Pooh headbands. He tried his best not to look upset about the result. I filmed almost everything from the medal ceremony except the medal ceremony itself since there is official footage of it. It is in this playlist starting from number 7.

Reveal hidden contents

kiches and Floria posts basically cover Yuzuru's fan service and Floria's videos reveal a lot.

What I remember is the following:

When he came out just before the medal ceremony, he had his hands together and kept bowing to the audience as if begging for forgiveness. He did this in every direction.

After the photo session with the three medalists following the medal ceremony, Yuzuru stayed back and allowed further photos of just himself after the other two skated away.

After the photo session on the judges' side, the three medalists got together briefly for a picture by Keegan Messing's coach. After that photo was taken, Javi and Keegan looked like they might be heading off the ice. Yuzuru motioned with his arm to them indicating a skate around the rink for the fans. If it wasn't for Yuzu doing this, the other two may not have done it.

During the skate around the rink, the other two went quite quickly. Yuzuru took his time and seemed to be making eye contact with individual fans or groups of fans as he waved. His smile never went away.

My wife and I were the only two in the corner of the rink kitty corner from the Kiss & Cry. Our two friends were temporarily away from us taking pictures. When Yuzu skated by our corner, my wife was standing up and waved at him with a big smile. He looked directly at her, gave a huge smile and waved at her. Really made her day. (I don't think it had anything to do with me sitting there with an upside down banner and two captive kids sitting on my lap.)

He seemed to take a long time leaving the ice after the skate around the rink. He kept interacting with the audience. He seemed reluctant to go. He spent a long time squatting and touching the ice as he left the rink.

And as I said, throughout this whole period of time, his smile never left his face. He must've been crying on the inside, but he kept smiling.

A very special guy.

4 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

kiches and Floria posts basically cover Yuzuru's fan service and Floria's videos reveal a lot.

When he came out just before the medal ceremony, he had his hands together and kept bowing to the audience as if begging for forgiveness. He did this in every direction.

After the photo session with the three medalists following the medal ceremony, Yuzuru stayed back and allowed further photos of just himself after the other two skated away.

After the photo session on the judges' side, the three medalists got together briefly for a picture by Keegan Messing's coach. After that photo was taken, Javi and Keegan looked like they might be heading off the ice. Yuzuru motioned with his arm to them indicating a skate around the rink for the fans. If it wasn't for Yuzu doing this, the other two may not have done it.

During the skate around the rink, the other two went quite quickly. Yuzuru took his time and seemed to be making eye contact with individual fans or groups of fans as he waved. His smile never went away.

My wife and I were the only two in the corner of the rink kitty corner from the Kiss & Cry. Our two friends were temporarily away from us taking pictures. When Yuzu skated by our corner, my wife was standing up and waved at him with a big smile. He looked directly at her, gave a huge smile and waved at her. Really made her day. (I don't think it had anything to do with me sitting there with an upside down banner and two captive kids sitting on my lap.)

He seemed to take a long time leaving the ice after the skate around the rink. He kept interacting with the audience. He seemed reluctant to go. He spent a long time squatting and touching the ice as he left the rink.

And as I said, throughout this whole period of time, his smile never left his face. He must've been crying on the inside, but he kept smiling.

A very special guy.

My heart :sadPooh:

36 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

You really did it! :xD: The Yuzu fan equivalent of dropping a handkerchief!

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

A very special guy.

Very special indeed :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

I also noticed that he waved and gestured to all 360 degrees of the rink, even around the rafters where very few people were standing. If you were standing on the balcony above the short ends of the rink, you probably got a personal eye contact + big smile + wave from him, just by virtue of being one of very few people there. :laughing:

Just now, yuzuangel said:

Very special indeed :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

I also noticed that he waved and gestured to all 360 degrees of the rink, even around the rafters where very few people were standing. If you were the only one standing on the balcony above the short ends of the rink, you probably got a personal eye contact + big smile + wave from him, just by virtue of being the only one there. :laughing:

That's why my wife knows that she received personal fan service from him in the form of direct eye contact, huge Yuzu smile, and wave. We were the only people in that corner balcony when he came by and she was the only person standing, smiling and waving at him.

@Geo1  I like your report very much Geo1. You really describe what It was the interaction between Yuzuru and his fans that night.

Thank you.

Yuzuru must feel less sad that night and proud for the love and support of all his fans. I hope that someone in his entourage told him that all of us his fans feel lucky to be there to see him skate. All the banners hanged around the ice were for him. All the women (and at least one man) young and old were going crazy for him. We feel so elated to see him smile at us when acknowledging our love and support.

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

You know I'm only kidding. It would have been too easy if I had an upside down banner and a couple of kids! Like drawing a moth to a light.

There were a lot of little figure skating kids sitting beside you in the reserved VIP section. If we asked the parents nicely, maybe we could of borrowed one or two for 15 mins to wave the banners?  >_>

4 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Japan Open is in collaboration with IMG (talent agency) and Yuzu is not affiliated with any talent agency (as far as I know) which is pretty rare for an athlete his caliber. I think it's his own personal preference not to be managed by a talent agency (he's done well for himself so far - thanks mama Hanyu). He was invited as a special guest in 2011 after the Tohoku earthquake though. Truthfully, I think the timing of the event is the biggest barrier for him attending.

3 hours ago, xeyra said:

And it not giving any ranking points, being a fluff competition and only letting you skate the FS. :laughing:

We'll probably never know whether they invited him or not (IMO, it'd be absolutely stupid not to, considering his marketability), but I don't think he'd have accepted. And I agree on the reasons you two gave.

Going to Japan for a fluff competition before the season even began would probably be very counterproductive. There's jet lag, time differences, which can affect training. There could also be a lull in overall concentration from a "going home" break, plus media pressure - did you see the Japan Open TV coverage this year? It seemed to me even more ridiculous than WTT - and all sorts of media and promo activities, the sort he - or well, his team - has only learned to efficiently organize in recent times, so as not to take up too much of his time. On top of that, earlier on, it might have been tempting to stay in Japan longer than necessary. And traveling such long distances makes one more prone to colds and such. And all this for what? A fluff competition? Not to mention he'd have to do the gala, too.

Also, even on top of the pressure that comes from Japanese media, there'd be his own pressure. Yuzu's nature is to be extremely competitive. He'll never be able to go in and think "it's just fluff, I don't have to stress about it or try too hard." It's just not in his vocabulary. (Actually, even post retirement, I'm not sure it'd be a good idea. The pressure would still be there. "Does Hanyu still have it?" and comparing him to younger skaters... it could do more damage than good, to be honest. Also, imagine the kuyashii if he wouldn't be able to keep up, from lack of active competitive training!)

6 minutes ago, Xen said:

There were a lot of little figure skating kids sitting beside you in the reserved VIP section. If we asked the parents nicely, maybe we could of borrowed one or two for 15 mins to wave the banners?  >_>

I think you might be overestimating his fondness of kids a bit. (And yes, I know this isn't a serious conversation lol) He didn't seem that drawn to that little kid who got the autograph before the ceremony - in fact didn't even notice him until his mother (? or well, the lady with him) poked him. lol And even after signing, he wasn't even really looking at him much, and it was a pretty cute kid - this coming from someone who doesn't like kids ^_^;. But I guess at times, the kuyashii wins even over cute kids lol Or maybe even kids are no go when the interaction must happen in English... hmm...