General Yuzuru Chat

a small reminder - this week we have the nebelhorn trophy.

this is the olympic qualifying event which means it will affect yuzuru as well - i invite everyone to join us and have fun plus see if team japan makes it or not. if they do, there is a possibility yuzuru will then compete, and we should all remember sochi and that this time around, the idiot schedule of team before individual has been repeated.

so please do come! :7938863:

55 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Part Two! 

Usual disclaimers apply: This was a hard one to translate (I think the last parts took me the same time as the previous section combined T__T) so I really welcome people correcting me if I make a mistake on the last parts especially... I hope I got the general gist right.

Key takeaways

• I'm so glad Yuzu picked Seimei, no matter what his naysayers say about repetition. His connection with the program and mythology is truly incredible... he's being quite metaphorical about the shikigami but I think it shows he's really internalised the entire mythology of the program and its connection to his own cultural background and history (and rightfully so). He's also really careful about paying his respects (which is why he visited the Seimei shrine). 
  • I'm also really grateful that he emphasised GPF was calculated. It showed him that he could achieve and even surpass himself even when he's in a mythical 'zone' through calm and calculation. I think it taught him he was capable of calmly and consciously achieving that performance, not just relying on chance/lightning striking/magic happening (even though it would very much help).  
  • ((at the same time.....my dude....wouldn't be yuzu if he wasn't nitpicking an imperfect landing amidst smashing three world records.....))

Hide contents

From roughly 27:00

What was the reason for this sealing gesture?

Y: Mm this is difficult to express. I had really entered the world (of onmyouji/Seimei). The shikigami were everywhere, like I had released them with a ‘bang!’. And as long as they were bouncing/flying around, I had a feeling like the performance/moment would not be allowed to end. Ultimately, you could say that in order for me to return to reality, I had to properly close the gate. After concluding my journey into that world, I thought I had to pay my respects (by greeting/saluting them).*

He had a calm demeanour all the way until the scores were announced then…

‘Why am I crying?’

There was actually one more reason why he didn’t explode with emotion…

Y: There was one thing left in my heart (regret): the second 4T, I didn’t land it perfectly. If it wasn’t perfect, I couldn’t surpass my old record. If it wasn’t perfect, I couldn’t completely answer to everyone’s expectations. I cared a lot about that one fault in the program.

Then the record came out

Y: ‘Ahh I did my best, I’m truly happy.’ Thinking back to all the practice I had done until that moment and the hugeness of all the pressure I had been feeling in those previous two weeks and especially that day, the tears all came out.

Narrator: But two years later, Hanyu had this to say...

Y: (The performance) was calculated. All of it. It was because it was all calculated that immediately after the performance, I had a split second thought of ‘was it enough?’

Interviewer: People often talk about ‘entering the zone’. Was that your unconscious state at the time?

Y: No I wasn’t in the zone, especially not for this program. In the NHK, you could say I was completely absorbed in the program. You often hear in hero interviews (?) ‘ah, the ball came and I struck it’ being said** - it was that kind of feeling. I knew that it was imperative to try and return to that state. But as I was thinking about returning to that state, I realised that state of absorption was one thing you cannot simply ‘conquer’ (harness its power).

In the end, I was able to gain the confidence that I could skate that program calmly despite not being in an ultimate state of concentration.

Narrator: Instead of being in a zone, he was able to coolly control his condition. This was the truth of his legendary performance. 

Y: It's because I had this competition, I can now do even more difficult things, and wanted to become even more expressive. It was around this time that I thought 'I want to use this in the Olympics' 

*T/N: I did my best... some of the tenses may be muddled because my grammar is rusty but I think I got the vocab? Pls check I got this right lol. I'm reasonably confident about the last part about sealing the gate though. 

**T/N: I'm guessing this is some Japanese cultural expression but essentially the idea is that he was 'in the zone', like he could hit every single moment or people say 'I knocked it out of the park'?? (I'm guessing lol based on the ball and hitting metaphor!)

Pt 1 here:

Thank you so much! We’re so lucky to have you around.

The seal comments are full on. I must watch it again to see if I can spot any shikigami. He’s so intensely dramatic. 

14 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

a small reminder - this week we have the nebelhorn trophy.

this is the olympic qualifying event which means it will affect yuzuru as well -

so please do come! :7938863:

Oh... I had no idea this qualifying also goes for the Team event????!!! Yikes, thanks for the reminder!

How does that even work, qualifying for the team event if nobody from Japan is even skating at Nebelhorn? *bit confused* 

4 minutes ago, Winnie_20 said:

Oh... I had no idea this qualifying also goes for the Team event????!!! Yikes, thanks for the reminder!

How does that even work, qualifying for the team event if nobody from Japan is even skating at Nebelhorn? *bit confused* 

To qualify for the team event, a country has to have qualifying skaters in at least 3 individual disciplines.  Japan has lady's and men's now, so we need to see if their pair or dance team can make it. The dance team has better chance iirc. 

5 minutes ago, Winnie_20 said:

Sumire SUTO / Francis BOUDREAU-AUDET (pairs) and Kana MURAMOTO / Chris REED (ice dance) are going.

How high do they have to rank to win a spot?

4 minutes ago, Winnie_20 said:

Kana and Chris are. If they get an individual Ice Dance spot for Japan, they have 3 disciplines for the Olympics, which is the minimum for Team Event qualification. They then can invite a Pair Team for the Team Event only.

1 hour ago, kaerb said:

Part Two! 

Usual disclaimers apply: This was a hard one to translate (I think the last parts took me the same time as the previous section combined T__T) so I really welcome people correcting me if I make a mistake on the last parts especially... I hope I got the general gist right.

Key takeaways

• I'm so glad Yuzu picked Seimei, no matter what his naysayers say about repetition. His connection with the program and mythology is truly incredible... he's being quite metaphorical about the shikigami but I think it shows he's really internalised the entire mythology of the program and its connection to his own cultural background and history (and rightfully so). He's also really careful about paying his respects (which is why he visited the Seimei shrine). 
  • I'm also really grateful that he emphasised GPF was calculated. It showed him that he could achieve and even surpass himself even when he's in a mythical 'zone' through calm and calculation. I think it taught him he was capable of calmly and consciously achieving that performance, not just relying on chance/lightning striking/magic happening (even though it would very much help).  
  • ((at the same time.....my dude....wouldn't be yuzu if he wasn't nitpicking an imperfect landing amidst smashing three world records.....))

Reveal hidden contents

From roughly 27:00

What was the reason for this sealing gesture?

Y: Mm this is difficult to express. I had really entered the world (of onmyouji/Seimei). The shikigami were everywhere, like I had released them with a ‘bang!’. And as long as they were bouncing/flying around, I had a feeling like the performance/moment would not be allowed to end. Ultimately, you could say that in order for me to return to reality, I had to properly close the gate. After concluding my journey into that world, I thought I had to pay my respects (by greeting/saluting them).*

He had a calm demeanour all the way until the scores were announced then…

‘Why am I crying?’

There was actually one more reason why he didn’t explode with emotion…

Y: There was one thing left in my heart (regret): the second 4T, I didn’t land it perfectly. If it wasn’t perfect, I couldn’t surpass my old record. If it wasn’t perfect, I couldn’t completely answer to everyone’s expectations. I cared a lot about that one fault in the program.

Then the record came out

Y: ‘Ahh I did my best, I’m truly happy.’ Thinking back to all the practice I had done until that moment and the hugeness of all the pressure I had been feeling in those previous two weeks and especially that day, the tears all came out.

Narrator: But two years later, Hanyu had this to say...

Y: (The performance) was calculated. All of it. It was because it was all calculated that immediately after the performance, I had a split second thought of ‘was it enough?’

Interviewer: People often talk about ‘entering the zone’. Was that your unconscious state at the time?

Y: No I wasn’t in the zone, especially not for this program. In the NHK, you could say I was completely absorbed in the program. You often hear in hero interviews (?) ‘ah, the ball came and I struck it’ being said** - it was that kind of feeling. I knew that it was imperative to try and return to that state. But as I was thinking about returning to that state, I realised that state of absorption was one thing you cannot simply ‘conquer’ (harness its power).

In the end, I was able to gain the confidence that I could skate that program calmly despite not being in an ultimate state of concentration.

Narrator: Instead of being in a zone, he was able to coolly control his condition. This was the truth of his legendary performance. 

Y: It's because I had this competition, I can now do even more difficult things, and wanted to become even more expressive. It was around this time that I thought 'I want to use this in the Olympics' 

*T/N: I did my best... some of the tenses may be muddled because my grammar is rusty but I think I got the vocab? Pls check I got this right lol. I'm reasonably confident about the last part about sealing the gate though. 

**T/N: I'm guessing this is some Japanese cultural expression but essentially the idea is that he was 'in the zone', like he could hit every single moment or people say 'I knocked it out of the park'?? (I'm guessing lol based on the ball and hitting metaphor!)

Pt 1 here:

REally need that Javi bowing emoticon. I'm bowing from over here.

What are Team JPN's chances of actually medalling at the team event, assuming they qualify dance or pairs? As much as I want more chances for them to skate on Olympic ice...I won't lie, the scheduling of the event makes me nervous (also kind of seems to be an advantage for the skaters who don't have to skate at the team events, no?)

(actually who's most likely to win? I feel like Team Canada right now?)

Ah, I still need to watch that Nightmare before Christmas FS! *bounces*

Thanks for the explanation about the Team event qualification. I didn’t even realize there is a chance that Hanyu and co don’t get to participate in the Team events in Pyeongchang. *face palm* But I’m sure they’ll do fine.

5 minutes ago, PapiandPooh421 said:

Are there a countries already qualified for the team event in PC? :confused:

Yep, Russia and Canada according to Wiki, based on their Worlds placements. Figure Skating Asks explains Nebelhorn in quite a bit of depth if you're confused about how it works (it's pretty confusing but also dramatically dire as an event). 

4 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

I don't suppose the Pumpkin King will be at Nebelhorn? He's growing on me, too.

Pumpkin King is the true Olympic hero we need but don't deserve T u T