General Yuzuru Chat

So I was checking this site for best elements and found out Yuzu is the first man to get full GOE on a sit spin (CSSp4). The only other spins that have gotten max GOE are Camel spins (CCSp4) by Jason Brown (a lot of them, actually, he's awesome) and a few combination spins. :bow:

Just now, xeyra said:

So I was checking this site for best elements and found out Yuzu is the first man to get full GOE on a sit spin (CSSp4). The only other spins who've gotten max GOE are Camel spins (CCSp) by Jason Brown (a lot of them, actually, he's awesome) and a few combination spins. :bow:

Seems like one of those cool but not cool enough for wikipedia facts :biggrin:

man....almost withdrawing, injured, not practice for a week and sets off a new wr short by pure muscle memory? To the other men: so, how do you like them pancakes boys?

For those who are worried about his knee:  if the person I saw at the airport was really him, then he should be fine. He was walking super fast and even skipped a little down the glass walkway before stopping to wait for the rest of his team.

Just now, Xen said:

man....almost withdrawing, injured, not practice for a week and sets off a new wr short by pure muscle memory? To the other men: so, how do you like them pancakes boys?

For those who are worried about his knee:  if the person I saw at the airport was really him, then he should be fine. He was walking super fast and even skipped a little down the glass walkway before stopping to wait for the rest of hid team.

Thanks for the report! :tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw:

On 24/09/2017 at 4:46 PM, kamotejojo said:

:ninja::ninja::ninja:, this Pino...

Part Two! 

Usual disclaimers apply: This was a hard one to translate (I think the last parts took me the same time as the previous section combined T__T) so I really welcome people correcting me if I make a mistake on the last parts especially... I hope I got the general gist right.

Key takeaways

• I'm so glad Yuzu picked Seimei, no matter what his naysayers say about repetition. His connection with the program and mythology is truly incredible... he's being quite metaphorical about the shikigami but I think it shows he's really internalised the entire mythology of the program and its connection to his own cultural background and history (and rightfully so). He's also really careful about paying his respects (which is why he visited the Seimei shrine). 
  • I'm also really grateful that he emphasised GPF was calculated. It showed him that he could achieve and even surpass himself even when he's in a mythical 'zone' through calm and calculation. I think it taught him he was capable of calmly and consciously achieving that performance, not just relying on chance/lightning striking/magic happening (even though it would very much help).  
  • ((at the same time.....my dude....wouldn't be yuzu if he wasn't nitpicking an imperfect landing amidst smashing three world records.....))

Spoiler

From roughly 27:00

What was the reason for this sealing gesture?

Y: Mm this is difficult to express. I had really entered the world (of onmyouji/Seimei). The shikigami were everywhere, like I had released them with a ‘bang!’. And as long as they were bouncing/flying around, I had a feeling like the performance/moment would not be allowed to end. Ultimately, you could say that in order for me to return to reality, I had to properly close the gate. After concluding my journey into that world, I thought I had to pay my respects (by greeting/saluting them).*

He had a calm demeanour all the way until the scores were announced then…

‘Why am I crying?’

There was actually one more reason why he didn’t explode with emotion…

Y: There was one thing left in my heart (regret): the second 4T, I didn’t land it perfectly. If it wasn’t perfect, I couldn’t surpass my old record. If it wasn’t perfect, I couldn’t completely answer to everyone’s expectations. I cared a lot about that one fault in the program.

Then the record came out

Y: ‘Ahh I did my best, I’m truly happy.’ Thinking back to all the practice I had done until that moment and the hugeness of all the pressure I had been feeling in those previous two weeks and especially that day, the tears all came out.

Narrator: But two years later, Hanyu had this to say...

Y: (The performance) was calculated. All of it. It was because it was all calculated that immediately after the performance, I had a split second thought of ‘was it enough?’

Interviewer: People often talk about ‘entering the zone’. Was that your unconscious state at the time?

Y: No I wasn’t in the zone, especially not for this program. In the NHK, you could say I was completely absorbed in the program. You often hear in hero interviews (?) ‘ah, the ball came and I struck it’ being said** - it was that kind of feeling. I knew that it was imperative to try and return to that state. But as I was thinking about returning to that state, I realised that state of absorption was one thing you cannot simply ‘conquer’ (harness its power).

In the end, I was able to gain the confidence that I could skate that program calmly despite not being in an ultimate state of concentration.

Narrator: Instead of being in a zone, he was able to coolly control his condition. This was the truth of his legendary performance. 

Y: It's because I had this competition, I can now do even more difficult things, and wanted to become even more expressive. It was around this time that I thought 'I want to use this in the Olympics' 

*T/N: I did my best... some of the tenses may be muddled because my grammar is rusty but I think I got the vocab? Pls check I got this right lol. I'm reasonably confident about the last part about sealing the gate though. 

**T/N: I'm guessing this is some Japanese cultural expression but essentially the idea is that he was 'in the zone', like he could hit every single moment or people say 'I knocked it out of the park'?? (I'm guessing lol based on the ball and hitting metaphor!)

Pt 1 here: