General Yuzuru Chat

9 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

As for the medals, I wonder if they're so simple because they will add specific category engravings? So they actually won't be quite so simple in the end? I can't say I love them, but as someone compared them to 2016 GPF... anything's better than that lol

IOC: You need to control your budget!

Oly Organizers: Cardboard coaster medals painted by preschoolers will save us so much money! Brilliant!

Can you imagine??? :rofl2:

2 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Great point that he wouldn't be there if it was serious! I actually hadn't considered that ^_^;

And I also agree, he looks annoyed/angry rather than worried... Evil Overlord mode on...

As for the medals, I wonder if they're so simple because they will add specific category engravings? So they actually won't be quite so simple in the end? I can't say I love them, but as someone compared them to 2016 GPF... anything's better than that lol

The specific categories are on the side with the ㅍㅊ engraving ^^

I think the front of the medals are a little plain and could've captured Korea's beauty more buuut I mostly like Korea for the bright, bold colours of the city/that are usually seen in hanbok and areas where you have old buildings surrounded by modern buildings like the palaces. or the way Seoul is surrounded by mountains etc. But focusing on hangul makes sense as a way of giving a kind of unique touch to the medals and reflecting Korea since hangul is seen as an achievement for Korean people and is a point of pride (since it was invented to be simple and to basically end illiteracy in Korea and liberate people across social classes increasing social mobility etc. when before they had a difficult system of trying to force chinese characters to fit) 

I do wish the found a way to make the ribbon maybe look like a hanbok ribbon at the point it meets the medal though? that would've looked cute. and its such a distinctive part of hanbok....

As for Yuzu's knee... I trust that he's keeping his thoughts on the bigger picture and is keeping his focus on overall this season avoiding, as much as he can, getting sick or getting any major injuries. He will want to be in the best condition he can be in December/February. I trust he was quick to tell Brian about any issues he was having and is dealing with it. Being at the tail end of a recovery from a small injury at ACI is fine. I am choosing as of right now to trust when they say it's not a big problem though I guess only time will tell if they are just downplaying it.

5 minutes ago, kaerb said:

I always wish I could somehow convey the gaping chasm between how Yuzu comes across in Japanese versus English because it kills me that Western media still perceives him essentially as a very polite, lowkey/meek boy and still get shocked when he shows a bit of that fire or personality. Honestly, he'd be even more loved if he let his Extra-ness and weird-ass humour shine a bit in English, the same way I imagine he gets criticised in Japan for it. I'm glad he's found an environment and coaching approach that encourages and nurtures his opinionated side and his quirks instead of suppressing it as they would likely do in Japan. While I do get the sense the coaches may still not fully appreciate just how much he thinks, it seems like they've found a middle ground which is promising. 

Anyway, calm down everyone. I know it's doubly bad because we've been deprived of 'true' Yuzu content for an off-season but just trust in Yuzu and Brian and their strategy ; u ; (also, new costumes yay!)

Fully agreed. And that, regarding part of his personality being repressed is actually part of what I meant by cultural difference, that I forgot to reply to @¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about ^_^; It's not so much differences for Yuzu himself, but difference between what he was used to, the rules and such he had to follow and such. I think in Sendai, they did nurture that personality - to a greater or lesser extent; he didn't have much creative input then, so it's hard to know how much - but I tend to think in a bigger place, they'd suppress it. (Actually this reminds me of some thoughts I've had on Shoma, but as commenting on Shoma is somewhat controversial, I'll save those for another time. :P)

Oh and I also agree with @¯\_(ツ)_/¯, that he doesn't have an actual interest to learn the language. I think if he did, he'd be actually fluent by now. So he's only learning as much as necessary to communicate, but that's probably not enough to fully express himself... Maybe in time, it'll come... (How much time is anyone's guess)

12 minutes ago, CupidsBow said:

The specific categories are on the side with the ㅍㅊ engraving ^^

Ah, I see. I didn't actually read or look properly, so, thank you for letting me know ^_^

If I were a summer Olympian who has a high potential for medaling but also has a thing for medal aesthetics, I'd look for a winter Olympic sport to thrive in instead so I can switch to being a winter Olympian cos the medal designs for the Winter Olympics are so much nicer in general (sure it has its hits and misses but it's different each time, while still fully retaining the Olympic spirit), which I'm guessing is because the summer edition, having been around for a few decades longer and thus having a longer history, has to stick to some sort of template while the winter edition, when it came along, even though it also had to adhere to the template at first, decided somewhere along the way that it was too cool for old school (haha geddit? xD) and broke away from it. Or evolved, so to speak. Which I'm glad it did. 

*sneaks off from class*

I see it's been a productive night/morning in the Planet. I'll be really quick:

- Medals: I'm just meh, right now. They're not ugly, but they don't look very special either (Sochi really went all out, there). So yeah, just meh for now still, it's the meaning that counts. Go get that gold, Yuzu!

- Knee developments: not too worried because, as @Yatagarasu's said, Yuzuru wouldn't be at ACI if it was serious. No point risking further injury at a B competition with the Olympics on the horizon. On the contrary, I'm glad to see him and Brian working together to take a step back instead of pushing just for the sake of it.

Whatever he ends up showing these days on the ice, I trust them to do what's best for him right now and in the work they've been putting all along: injury or not, that doesn't disappear. Yuzuru will be alright :2thumbsup:

*runs back to class*

1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

The politicking is what makes it intriguing though. I don't love it, but I can live with it and find fascination in it. 

Heh, I also find it very interesting, but it stresses me the hell out! 

The last couple of pages have been really calming - thank you, satellites! :satellite:

33 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Fully agreed. And that, regarding part of his personality being repressed is actually part of what I meant by cultural difference, that I forgot to reply to @¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about ^_^; It's not so much differences for Yuzu himself, but difference between what he was used to, the rules and such he had to follow and such. I think in Sendai, they did nurture that personality - to a greater or lesser extent; he didn't have much creative input then, so it's hard to know how much - but I tend to think in a bigger place, they'd suppress it. (Actually this reminds me of some thoughts I've had on Shoma, but as commenting on Shoma is somewhat controversial, I'll save those for another time. :P)

Oh and I also agree with @¯\_(ツ)_/¯, that he doesn't have an actual interest to learn the language. I think if he did, he'd be actually fluent by now. So he's only learning as much as necessary to communicate, but that's probably not enough to fully express himself... Maybe in time, it'll come... (How much time is anyone's guess)

Oh...I think I know what you're going to say re: Shoma and Sendai - for me, it comes down to the fact that different skating 'institutions' have different traditions; I definitely think Sendai was more 'liberal', in a way, that matched well with Yuzu's personality (in a way I doubt the Nagoya skating culture, for example, could have done) but culture is still culture so there are definitely things Yuzu gained from moving out of his comfort zone and to Toronto. I think re: language, it goes to what he's said several times in the past of seeing Toronto as exclusively a place for training. It makes me a little sad but he doesn't seem to particularly want to 'put down roots' over there, so to speak, beyond his skating - everything he does is strictly for the former purpose. I feel like he'd be on the plane straight back to Japan the moment he decides to stop competing tbh, but I think it's this recent season that he seems to have been able to really strengthen emotional ties with his skating team and build a good system there; not quite 'home' but a 'skating home', which is good enough.* 

*take all with grain of salt, just general speculation

5 hours ago, xeyra said:

Instead of panicking, we should be happy that:

a) he told Brian that he had slight knee pain

b) they limited his practice

c) he's going to adjust his layout to accommodate for it. 

Look at the progress from overtraining 4Ts prior to 2016 Worlds FS!

Let's stay positive! 

Silver lining in light of this so so pained knee : since he'd adjust his layout which he keeps a secret until now, his opponents would be confused , not knowing for sure what they're up against until bigger competition!  ( please correct me if I'm off on this matter ).  I'm praying on all known gods and my ancestors for Yuzu's health....

On the other hand , he was walking dashingly on the same ground ( airport) that I walked yesterday   :sadPooh: I'm going to see Seimei in UA live !!!!!!!

1 minute ago, ruruzest said:

Let's stay positive! 

Silver lining in light of this so so pained knee : since he'd adjust his layout which he keeps a secret until now, his opponents would be confused , not knowing for sure what they're up against until bigger competition!  ( please correct me if I'm off on this matter ).  I'm praying on all known gods and my ancestors for Yuzu's health....

On the other hand , he was walking dashingly on the same ground ( airport) that I walked yesterday   :sadPooh: I'm going to see Seimei in UA live !!!!!!!

So jealous of UA. :13877886: 4 of his comps this season have no open practices. What a waste!