General Yuzuru Chat

11 minutes ago, xeyra said:

And probably because of the lack of practice it's best to not go straight from several days off to 7 quads across two programs. 

That, too, yes. Lack of practice might also be why Yuzu said so-so. Because he doesn't like it that he didn't get to practice and feels a little less prepared than he would have otherwise.

Also, while I agree that Yuzu learns from his mistakes, it's also a lot easier to say: I'll take care of myself, I won't overtrain, I won't push myself pointlessly etc. and it's a lot harder to actually do it, when you've spent years and years doing exactly that. Habits are hard to break, so I wouldn't put it past him to have re-lapsed, but stopping at a little pain and letting Brian make the call are good signs he's trying at least. (Re-lapses happen, let's not blame him too much if they happen to him, too.)

(ETA: I just noticed I became 4Lo O.o Me, a lurker by definition... Yuzu, the things you make me do...)

1 時間前, KatjaTheraさんが言いました:

Also, while I agree that Yuzu learns from his mistakes, it's also a lot easier to say: I'll take care of myself, I won't overtrain, I won't push myself pointlessly etc. and it's a lot harder to actually do it, when you've spent years and years doing exactly that. Habits are hard to break, so I wouldn't put it past him to have re-lapsed, but stopping at a little pain and letting Brian make the call are good signs he's trying at least. (Re-lapses happen, let's not blame him too much if they happen to him, too.)

Good morning!  During I try to comment here doing my family chores, the thread moves very fast! 

Agreed.  Today I woke up and found his injury news, which wreaked havoc on  my heart, but now i calm down.  He's learned a lot through the past seasons and I believe their relationship has matured.

23 分ぐらい, KatjaTheraさんが言いました:

I don't actually mean falling back to old training habits. That's gonna happen regardless. I don't think that he has new training habits, even, so it's not even a case of relapsing, I don't think. I think it's more him doing what he's always been doing and when people ask him to stop, or to do something else, or tell him what they think he should do for the season, he listens more willingly with less mental second-guessing. And then he tells them what he thinks and discusses with them and together they find a way to marry both ideas and come up with a winning solution. And now that he's in this good place, it's unlikely he'd go back to shutting people out, considering the consequences it brought. Even if the lessons he learned were valuable. So I mean as in thinking. His thinking has evolved. He communicates better with his coaches now. Why would he suddenly suck at it again? That makes absolutely no sense. Not to me, anyway. >_<

1 minute ago, kaeryth said:

Don't worry. It'll be fine. :consoling2: It's not an injury. He felt pain and they decided to be cautious about it.

I hope he listens to Brian. I think he will, though. It's Olympic season, I think he's very focused on that goal. He won't take risks because he's got a long-term plan for a non-kuyashii gold.

I hope. :tumblr_m9gck4P2Jf1qzckow:

14 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I don't actually mean falling back to old training habits. That's gonna happen regardless. I don't think that he has new training habits, even, so it's not even a case of relapsing, I don't think. I think it's more him doing what he's always been doing and when people ask him to stop, or to do something else, or tell him what they think he should do for the season, he listens more willingly with less mental second-guessing. And then he tells them what he thinks and discusses with them and together they find a way to marry both ideas and come up with a winning solution. And now that he's in this good place, it's unlikely he'd go back to shutting people out, considering the consequences it brought. Even if the lessons he learned were valuable. So I mean as in thinking. His thinking has evolved. He communicates better with his coaches now. Why would he suddenly suck at it again? That makes absolutely no sense. Not to me, anyway. >_<

Oh, I agree with you. And by not blaming him for relapses, I didn't mean you, I just meant in general. Because if someone came and said he has been overtraining, there'd be a lot of headdesking around and such. So I just wanted to get it out there ^_^; But I agree that his thinking has evolved and that, IMO, is also proven by his actually taking a brake at the slightest sign of trouble - or well, what I interpret as that - and letting Brian make the call to simplify the program (on the assumption he will follow through >.>).

I'm also not sure he ever really sucked, I think it was just not something he was used to. Plus cultural differences. So it was probably a learning process. But I agree that they seem to be in a really good place now, communication wise.

1) I actually... like the medals?? But I like anything that's shiny, so maybe I have a bias.

2) I'm relatively calm about Yuzu's right knee. It wouldn't be normal to land quads upon quads and never feel a bit of straining. So, logically, Yuzu told his team and they got him to rest a bit. To me, it's completely fine if Yuzu doesn't go perfectly well in ACI. He didn't lie to the press about his condition: saying まあまあ to me sounds a lot like admitting there was a small problem, but nothing huge (if Brian says he's okay, then he's okay). Tonight, we will see how's he doing in practice, and what kind of runthrough he'll be doing. 

The body machine is never a perfect one, for no one, and it's really easy for a little something to go wrong. Most of the times, it's not something serious. And a week of rest will do. Maybe, the thing Yuzu is maamaa about is that since he practiced less, now he's a little 'out of' the rhythm he was in some weeks ago. But this is nothing for him. He will pull through. 

2 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

1) I actually... like the medals?? But I like anything that's shiny, so maybe I have a bias.

2) I'm relatively calm about Yuzu's right knee. It wouldn't be normal to land quads upon quads and never feel a bit of straining. So, logically, Yuzu told his team and they got him to rest a bit. To me, it's completely fine if Yuzu doesn't go perfectly well in ACI. He didn't lie to the press about his condition: saying まあまあ to me sounds a lot like admitting there was a small problem, but nothing huge (if Brian says he's okay, then he's okay). Tonight, we will see how's he doing in practice, and what kind of runthrough he'll be doing. 

The body machine is never a perfect one, for no one, and it's really easy for a little something to go wrong. Most of the times, it's not something serious. And a week of rest will do. Maybe, the thing Yuzu is maamaa about is that since he practiced less, now he's a little 'out of' the rhythm he was in some weeks ago. But this is nothing for him. He will pull through. 

Since I saw the medals after the lotte pie and tim tams comparisons were mentioned, I quite like them, too. Anyway, I like texturing like that. I'm pleb enough to think that makes things classy.

3 時間前, kaerythさんが言いました:

By the way, I like the medals  (but they kinda look like decorative coasters). :rofl:

Don't all decently-sized medals ultimately look like that? It's just some appear classier than others. >_< This one is most definitely on the classier side of the spectrum in my books. Very far in, too.

1 時間前, cirelleさんが言いました:

Slightly worried about the pain and the politicking/narrative consequences, but we'll see. It'll be fine, I'm sure.

The politicking is what makes it intriguing though. I don't love it, but I can live with it and find fascination in it. If Hanyu has a killer strategy of his own, and pull it off well enough to win, it won't be simply in figure skating that he'd be winning. ^_~ The road to his ultimate goal is a long and treacherous one, and Hanyu is the kind of mind that knows exactly how to navigate it (without compromising his morals ofc).

1 時間前, KatjaTheraさんが言いました:

I'm also not sure he ever really sucked, I think it was just not something he was used to. Plus cultural differences. So it was probably a learning process. But I agree that they seem to be in a really good place now, communication wise.

Haha, this guy is as outspoken as they come. He's as much as admitted it and he's even said it's the least Japanese part about him, which is why he compensates for it in other ways (excessive bowing, being ultra polite, being careful to not take things and people for granted, his SEIMEI program...these are all things he's said himself btw. I didn't make them up.). I doubt cultural differences, in this area at least, were ever as huge a factor for him as it would be for others. He probably found it very ironic, even, that here he is in a country with a culture where he can run his mouth off as much as he wants without risk of backlash or repercussion buuuuut to cash in on it, he'd first have to learn to speak the language well enough, which is in a field of study that's reeeeally not his forte. Heck, he couldn't even score as high in Japanese as his other subjects like he thought he could. LoL!

So yeah, I surmise that he sucked at it at TCC because his English sucked. He couldn't say what he really wanted to say in it and probably chose to clam up and avoid doing it altogether until he could put it off no longer. It's not like he can use a translator at all his practices. In Japanese, he's *very* articulate and precise. I'm sure you've noticed. He's so articulate and confident he leaves no doubt in the listener's mind when he speaks. Which his dissenters wilfully and obstinately misinterpret as arrogance. If he were an English-speaker, he'd make Obama proud. Or, if Brian understood Japanese, he'd no doubt be getting an earful day in and day out.

I think his English has probably improved a lot since but it's likely still not at a level where he can sufficiently articulate his thoughts, of which there is a lot and very deep. And he's never been keen enough in the language arts to find a way around it. Trust me, he's not. I am, and I can spot someone who isn't from a mile away. He has a passing interest but that's it. His continuing effort to speak in English at interviews and presscons, while admirable, is more due to his character rather than an innate interest in it. But I think regardless of his interest, or lack of it, he realized he had to find a way, any way, to properly communicate his thoughts and ideas and when he did, it resulted in better communication and output all around. ^__^

You know, when Brian said he had knee pain, but is ok... those are not contradictory statements, not really. I don't know if its an english thing, but it is possible to say you have an issue but still be ok. People say it all the time. "Ok" does not always mean good, it can mean so-so, stable, etc.. I would not try to dissect Brian'statements too much. 

I'm just not going to panic about any injuries until there's a reason to. At least they recognized that they need to take it easy for a while. Without any further information, I kind of see Brian's comment just as him playing the media. They guy spent the last four weeks telling people that if the Olympics were next week, Yuzu would be in perfect condition for it. Sounds like he's only adjusting expectations so that nobody waits for any miracles in this competition. (it's Oly season. The media won't got easy on him. So I guess it's probably better to put this bit of information out there to put things into perspective)