General Yuzuru Chat

Just now, robin said:

Well Yuzu doesn't seem to like using injury as an "excuse" so that wouldn't be the reason....

Well, that was the old Yuzu. The new Yuzu is trying to take care of himself more and lack of training due to injury isn't exactly something you should hide.

1 minute ago, xeyra said:

Question: does the article say he has had no practice last week or he had limited practice? I've seen both versions but they mean different preparation levels for ACI entirely. 

Could be limited practice too - what I learnt is he has been resting from training. But again this is translated into English from Russian - and I can't judge what the original said. Meaning Brian. 

In the past, we often think he's in good condition because he rarely talk about pain/injury or we found it out later. Now we know it before the competition start, it may lower our expectation aka less pressure to him. I think its good. As I said before, his team won't risk it if his knee is in really bad condition just for a senior B. Lets cheer and sending positive energy to Yuzu :smiley-happy105:

6 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Question: does the article say he has had no practice last week or he had limited practice? I've seen both versions but they mean different preparation levels for ACI entirely. 

The quote says he took a break/rest from practice「練習を休んでいた。」but who knows what Brian said and if anything was lost in translation.

(He also said the injury isn't a big deal.)

Came in to both happy (medals revealed and Yuzu spotted with pooh luggage tag and new haircut) and bad news. Did he stop practice or had limited practice? There's 2 different translations posted..

Original article:

Guys, try not to worry to much and trust in Yuzu and the TCC team. After everything they've been through in the past, they definitely know now how to handle injuries and whatnots. I know the first instinct is to be worried/panicked but I must say I'm actually pretty calm right now. Let's have faith that Yuzu and Brian know what they're doing. :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

By the way, I like the medals  (but they kinda look like decorative coasters). :rofl:

4 minutes ago, robin said:

Well Yuzu doesn't seem to like using injury as an "excuse" so that wouldn't be the reason....

I too think Yuzu has changed (who would have thought he was going to repeat 2 programs?). But likely (hopefully) it is a small injury and he's just giving us prior warning that we're not going to see the debut of 4Lz yet...

13 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Well, that was the old Yuzu. The new Yuzu is trying to take care of himself more and lack of training due to injury isn't exactly something you should hide.

1) Yuzuru said he's ok with the media. It is in the news, the official English news also shows his quote that he says he's ok. He never told the media he had injury before competition.

2) It's Brian Orser who told the media Yuzuru skipped practice due to knee pain

3) It's also Brian who told the media he suggested Yuzuru to adjust the difficulty. 

4) BUT in the same morning, Brian told NHK that Yuzuru is in ok condition. So maybe Yuzuru's team told Brian not to mention his knee anymore? We do not know.

5) We do not know if Yuzuru would follow Brian's suggestion and reduce the difficulty. Will he? We do not know yet.

BTW, Yuzuru indeed skipped practice at CC for several days.

30 分ぐらい, robinさんが言いました:

Well, Yuzu won't water down the rest of his program when he adds back his quads

Hmm...this makes me wonder if it isn't a counter strategy to Chen's. Like if they both start with relatively easier layout and good artistry but as the season wears on, you can see more clearly the difference when one maintains his quality despite more difficult tech while the other is progressively watering it down even if the tech becomes more impressive. People are impressionable and judges are people. It's best to use that to his advantage? If massive amounts of quads is Chen's weapon, being able to maintain high performance quality for everything else while still jumping considerably large amounts of quads (even if it's not the highest in number) is Hanyu's. And only Hanyu's. If this is indeed what he's going for and it works (because they'd have to be more careful in giving out Chen his PCS relative to his, and I don't think they'd be too generous towards him at ACI, if past scoring is to be believed) he'd essentially be using Chen's strategy against himself and using each competition to his advantage. Ain't better way to respect a competition than letting it serve a meaningful purpose leading up to a grand finale.

Oh boy, I hope Hanyu's layout is a simple one (for him), cos--hey! Right knee needs a break!--but with more accent on other elements <3<3<3

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it but it's a nice thought anyway. xD

4 minutes ago, meoima said:

1) Yuzuru said he's ok with the media. It is in the news, the official English news also shows his quote that he says he's ok. He never told the media he had injury before competition.

3) It's also Brian who told the media he suggested Yuzuru to adjust the difficulty. 

4) We do not know if Yuzuru would follow Brian's suggestion and reduce the difficulty. Will he? We do not know yet.

BTW, Yuzuru indeed skipped practice at CC for several days. 

Well, he said his physical condition was "so-so" 「まあまあです」 which is a notch below okay, though it was translated by Kyodo to "okay."

3 minutes ago, meoima said:

4) BUT in the same morning, Brian told NHK that Yuzuru is in ok condition. So maybe Yuzuru's team told Brian not to mention his knee anymore? We do not know.

5) We do not know if Yuzuru would follow Brian's suggestion and reduce the difficulty. Will he? We do not know yet.

BTW, Yuzuru indeed skipped practice at CC for several days. Pink forum in China (an anonymous forum) leaked some similar information this morning long before Japanese media.

I thought Yuzu said his condition was so-so? And, yeah, Brian doing what Yuzu won't and just saying it like it is. So Yuzu really didn't practice for days to let his knee rest. Hopefully Yuzu does start out easier. You don't trifle with your right knee in figure skating. It may not make for a banging start of the season like he wanted but it's only ACI.

3 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I thought Yuzu said his condition was so-so? And, yeah, Brian doing what Yuzu won't and just saying it like it is. So Yuzu really didn't practice for days to let his knee rest. Hopefully Yuzu does start out easier. You don't trifle with your right knee in figure skating. It may not make for a banging start of the season like he wanted but it's only ACI.

What makes my friend puzzled is that, Orser told one media that Yuzuru's knee in pain. Then he told another media (In this case it's NHK) that Yuzuru's ok. And the English version of the news (Kyodo) quote Yuzuru saying he's ok. So what is happening there? Did Yuzuru tell Brian not to tell the media further? Will Yuzuru listen to Brian's suggestion and simplify his layout? We do not know if Yuzuru would listen to Brian's suggestion though. I hope he will.