General Yuzuru Chat

2 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

They know that he's a phenomenon - an outlier, the sort that only crops up every 30 years or so.

But every sport has it's phenomen. Swimming has Phelps, athletics had Bolt. Normally federations try to milk them as much as they can, but it looks like ISU is going in opposite direction :13877886:

He makes them uncomfortable.  He's a phenomenal skater who is very grounded in his own culture and whose reaction to his terrible experiences as a teenager have garnered almost universal respect from commentators and media.  I think they're happy with westernised Asians but not someone who is comfortable being very rooted in Japan and it's hard to criticise him as a person or a skater.  When I was looking back at the Sochi era I read a distasteful comment somewhere that was very telling, along the lines of the commenter being tired of seeing tsunami footage in sports reports ( though of course they sympathised with the victims) the inference being that Hanyu was milking the disaster for publicity etc.  This was an uber fan of a western skater,  who is unlikely to ever read about all the charity stuff that he did then and continues to do,  and I suspect that mindset exists in the corridors of power too.

4 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Well that bias is showing....news to Bianchetti, with the way skating is in western europe, I hate to say this but even the rules changes might not stop Russia and Japan in its tracks. Your real issue is to figure out how to fund your ideal skaters in western europe, not just clamp down harder on Russia and Japan. Also, I wonder if Javi is really comfortable about you using him to kill skating...

Reading those proposed changes makes me sad. As it is now I can mainly see that lead to more inconsistent judging while imo more transparency in the rules is needed the most.

For example, does the difference between GOEs really need to be bigger, while the awarded GOE right now already vary so much between two different judges alone (never mind spectators perception)? Similar with PCS, while there might not be much to be said against a raise of available points per se, a better clarity and consistency on how they are awarded according to the rules seems far more important at this point.

I'm pretty sure a drastic overhaul every few years (that still leaves involved parties disagreeing 180 degree, because so much room is given to interpret/apply the rules) is what Figure Skating needs the least. 

20 minutes ago, xeyra said:

...that was painful, and I say this as a Javier fan.

When will people learn the difference between taste and quality in skating? One person might enjoy different types of style in performance and that's fine, you do you; but negating quality that is quantifiable just because aesthetically it's not the kind of skating that you personally like best is bonkers. Figure skating's supposed to be a sport: the one who wins it's not necessarily the one you enjoy watching the most, but the one who is more efficient and has more quality under the scoring system or would be if applied correctly, obvs

In slightly happier news, an article on the fact that Yuzu fans from all over the country are flocking to the Seimei shrine in Kyoto to leave ema with prayers for him, wishing him good health for the Olympics and for him to be able to be strong (not sure why it's suddenly news now but always good to know).

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20170912/fgr17091217060003-n1.html 

6 minutes ago, kaerb said:

In slightly happier news, an article on the fact that Yuzu fans from all over the country are flocking to the Seimei shrine in Kyoto to leave ema with prayers for him, wishing him good health for the Olympics and for him to be able to take strength (not sure why it's suddenly news now but always good to know).

This is what I love about Skating. Let's talk less about points and more about feelings :dpooh:

26 minutes ago, kaerb said:

In slightly happier news, an article on the fact that Yuzu fans from all over the country are flocking to the Seimei shrine in Kyoto to leave ema with prayers for him, wishing him good health for the Olympics and for him to be able to be strong (not sure why it's suddenly news now but always good to know).

I wonder which shrine is getting more visits.. The Seimei Shrine or the Yuzuruha Shrine :rofl:

3 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

I wonder which shrine is getting more visits.. The Seimei Shrine or the Yuzuruha Shrine :rofl:

Probably equally...I want to plan a trip to Japan and pray for the future of Asian skating at both shrines, since some governing body is being an idiot about stuff.