General Yuzuru Chat

Seems there are no scheduled Yuzu programs for Mon (Sep 4), but here're some FS-related shows:

Sep 4 (Mon)

10:10~10:25 Legend Program Kanako CS TV Asahi 2

21:00~22:54 くりぃむしちゅーの掘れば掘るほどスゴイ人!(don't understand the title lol) Marin, Shoma NTV

22:00~23:00 Friends+α2016-17#12 Summary NTV Plus

Sep 4 (Mon) 

23:56~24:55 Momm! TBS Kanako

25:00~ FOI 2013 Full version NTV Plus

18 minutes ago, katonice said:

Seems there are no scheduled Yuzu programs for Mon (Sep 4), but here're some FS-related shows:

Sep 4 (Mon)

10:10~10:25 Legend Program Kanako CS TV Asahi 2

21:00~22:54 くりぃむしちゅーの掘れば掘るほどスゴイ人!(don't understand the title lol) Marin, Shoma NTV

22:00~23:00 Friends+α2016-17#12 Summary NTV Plus

Sep 4 (Mon) 

23:56~24:55 Momm! TBS Kanako

25:00~ FOI 2013 Full version NTV Plus

Title is something like

Cream Stew's People who are more amazing the more you dig!

(Crem Stew are a comedy duo.)

On 2017/9/3 at 午後8時12分, kaerbさんが言いました:

I can't imagine how it must feel to have your entire life kind of culminate into a single moment that could make or break everything. I'm not sure if the right way to deal with the situation is to admit to yourself that this is it, this means everything to me and roll with it (a la Yuzu) or try to put it into perspective, minimise it and treat it as a regular thing (a la Eteri-style?). Can only hope his solution is the right way for him - it terrifies me, but that's because I don't like putting all my emotional eggs into one basket, so to speak (but this is...also why I'm not an elite athlete LOL) 

Hmmm. This is actually a very good thing, I feel. I wouldn't worry about it at all. This may very well be the kind of pressure a lot of other athletes buckle under but for Hanyu, it's the exact kind of thing that drives him. If he can keep himself focused on this, and just this alone, he may even surprise himself.

In the last Olympics, rather than other likely contributing factors, and there were quite a few of them, I feel his errors were more due to being distracted by the idea of perhaps winning the gold, something he wanted badly but was also realistic enough to think that it might just be wishful thinking...until it became more than that after the SP event. The uncharacteristic error he made in his 3F hinted that the mistake he made in the 4S that directly preceded it was not the same kind of error he'd been making on it in prior competitions. Had it been other factors dogging him, he'd have also given a poor showing in the second half. Instead, he gave a much cleaner showing there.

Being able to still take home the gold despite his errors? Well, that's probably more like a wake-up call to someone like him. As Browning said during last year's NHK, it couldn't happen to a better skater. Had he taken home any other color other than the gold, his development trajectory would likely have been different and there'd be a bigger chance that he won't be able to help being distracted again next year because the gold would've remained elusive to him. 

But since it's not, and it's something he'd gotten even with a flawed performance, he's perhaps learned that it's not the penultimate prize he's really searching for. He wants it, of course, but he also knows what happens when he mistakenly focuses on it as a goal. He now knows that even if he reaches it, it's only really a small part of what he truly wants, and by focusing too much on it, consciously or subconsciously, he's basically blinding himself to the bigger picture. Still, I think all that's happened is a necessary process for him to see it in the first place.

So this go around, he seems to be fully aware of what the bigger picture is. This became clear to me when he said that all he wants this time is to deliver a set of performances he can be proud of, while everything else can take its natural course. 

All said, I'm not worried at all about this pressure he's putting on himself. It's a necessary component to his success, after all. I may be, however, worried about something else. 

See, like a few people here, or perhaps even more than a few, I think that it's a real good thing he has as many rivals as he does, all more than capable of beating him--be it by skill or by other means--if he so much as falters. I do hope that most of them will be able to skate well enough because from what I can tell, it will make the incentive for him to deliver clean skates even stronger. I won't say that his focus and desire to succeed hinge upon it, but I will say that it will serve to hone them further. 

So what I may be most worried about, in fact, is if it all turns out to be more of a splatfest before Hanyu takes the ice, because being pressured by the adversity of good performances by others may very well be to Hanyu what the Li Xiaopeng Hop is to Uchimura. But unlike Uchimura, he has no control over it. Which is why, when he says that he only wants to focus on his own performances, I really, really hope he's taken into account even the not-at-all-unlikely situation where someone ends up having a meltdown right before his own performance. Because that may be a bigger disruption/trigger* than the distraction the tantalizing bling of the Oly gold serves.

* I can't claim to be a big fan of Medvedeva's skating but her absolute focus is something I have ample admiration for, some of which I fervently hope Hanyu will finally find himself at least somewhat blessed with from next season on.

And regardless of what happens after, whether he chooses to remain or to pursue something else (though my bet would be that he'd at least stick around until World's 2019 has come to pass), I really do hope he gets what he wants and brings out the best Ballade and SEIMEI he could possibly offer the world then on the Olympic ice. Because not only do these programs deserve to be performed to perfection and carve themselves into the minds of the whole world for good, I want to know what's beyond this main goal that's taken him 18 years to achieve. 18 years is a long enough time, and I'm excited to see what's next, be it within competitive figure skating or beyond it. 

On 2017/9/3 at 午後9時1分, LadyLouさんが言いました:

Currenlty offtopic, but I also love that Yuzu’s skating, programs AND costumes challenge the usual boundaries of what, at least in western culture, is considered male or feminine. Of course we can’t forget Johnny Weir and others before him, but Yuzuru is a way bigger name in fs now, maybe more people will take strength from him he proved you can be on top of the world even if you defy some stuffy prejudices about gender and maybe everyone will able to skate in their own unique way and not to meet some other people’s expectations.

Funnily enough, I never paid much attention to men's fs before. Something about its stiff masculinity holds less appeal than its more fluid feminine counterpart to me, not that I was an avid follower of the ladies' discipline as well. But I did find the latter more enjoyable to watch overall. And when male skaters like Weir inject a more feminine touch to their routines, the softness translates to a kind of flamboyance I don't find myself knowing how to appreciate. What Hanyu presents is just right for me. I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I mean I can attempt to but then this post will never end and nobody wants that. Not even me.

On 2017/9/3 at 午後9時49分, kaerbさんが言いました:

Personally though, it's the weight and significance he's placing on that one skate ('the culmination'/the ideal/the peak of his entire life) along with his determination to skate perfectly throughout the whole season that makes me slightly nervous. I am fully aware this may just be personal projection from a natural pessimist - I find that I perform better when I'm not thinking too hard about the significance/gravity of whatever I'm doing or building expectation of any particular outcome - so all I can say is that I believe Yuzu will prove me wrong :notamused:

No matter successful or...less successful, I think people can be divided into four general groups: People who need to set goals, those who don't need to but prefer to, those who don't need to and prefer not to, and those who simply can't (because even if they did, they can't find it within themselves to get off their lazy asses to go out there and achieve them). Also, by goals, I meant major ones. I know two or three people who fit in the first group. Hanyu...I think is in the 2nd group. You're probably in the 3rd. I'm in the last. =P 

1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Funnily enough, I never paid much attention to men's fs before. Something about its stiff masculinity holds less appeal than its more fluid feminine counterpart to me, not that I was an avid follower of the ladies' discipline as well. But I did find the latter more enjoyable to watch overall. And when male skaters like Weir inject a more feminine touch to their routines, the softness translates to a kind of flamboyance I don't find myself knowing how to appreciate. What Hanyu presents is just right for me. I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I mean I can attempt to but then this post will never end and nobody wants that. Not even me.

LOL who are you and how can you say exactly the same things that I think (only better)?:bow:

Jokes aside, for me Yuzuru was pretty much an epiphany that turned me form a very casual viewer with a general liking for figure skating and a few favourites into a...slightly obsessed fan?

That's why I think it will be hard for me to ever like another skater as much as I like Yuzuru, his skating just speaks to my soul to me (and here I go all mushy and lyrical). Doesn't help that everything he does and says makes me respect him even more (and it makes my soft spot for him get softer and softer)

1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

those who simply can't (because even if they did, they can't find it within themselves to get off their lazy asses to go out there and achieve them).

I'm in the last. =P 

Count me in too :13877886:

7 hours ago, kaerb said:

I can't imagine how it must feel to have your entire life kind of culminate into a single moment that could make or break everything. 

This is pretty much what it will be...it is the goal he has been talking about for 18 years...it is the moment fans are waiting for so long...all up and downs in his skating life...the 66 magic numbers from everywhere...It is like Jump manga, it is destiny...it will be history...and I am scared...To all fans who are going to Olympics...:bow:

3 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Hmmm. This is actually a very good thing, I feel. I wouldn't worry about it at all. This may very well be the kind of pressure a lot of other athletes buckle under but for Hanyu, it's the exact kind of thing that drives him. If he can keep himself focused on this, and just this alone, he may even surprise himself.

In the last Olympics, rather than other likely contributing factors, and there were quite a few of them, I feel his errors were more due to being distracted by the idea of perhaps winning the gold, something he wanted badly but was also realistic enough to think that it might just be wishful thinking...until it became more than that after the SP event. The uncharacteristic error he made in his 3F hinted that the mistake he made in the 4S that directly preceded it was not the same kind of error he's been making on it in prior competitions. Had it been other factors dogging him, he'd have also given a poor showing in the second half. Instead, he gave a much cleaner showing there.

Being able to still take home the gold despite his errors? Well, that's probably more like a wake-up call to someone like him. As Browning said during last year's NHK, it couldn't happen to a better skater. Had he taken home any other color other than the gold, his development trajectory would likely have been different and there'd be a bigger chance that he won't be able to help being distracted again next year because the gold would've remained elusive to him. 

But since it's not, and it's something he'd gotten even with a flawed performance, he's perhaps learned that it's not the penultimate prize he's really searching for. He wants it, of course, but he also knows what happens when he mistakenly focuses on it as a goal. He now knows that even if he reaches it, it's only really a small part of what he truly wants, and by focusing too much on it, consciously or subconsciously, he's basically blinding himself to the bigger picture. Still, I think all that's happened is a necessary process for him to see it in the first place.

So this go around, he seems to be fully aware of what the bigger picture is. This became clear to me when he said that all he wants this time is to deliver a set of performances he can be proud of, while everything else can take its natural course. 

All said, I'm not worried at all about this pressure he's putting on himself. It's a necessary component to his success, after all. I may be, however, worried about something else. 

See, like a few people here, or perhaps even more than a few, I think that it's a real good thing he has as many rivals as he does, all more than capable of beating him--be it by skill or by other means--if he so much as falters. I do hope that most of them will be able to skate well enough because from what I can tell, it will make the incentive for him to deliver clean skates even stronger. I won't say that his focus and desire to succeed hinge upon it, but I will say that it will serve to hone them further. 

So what I may be most worried about, in fact, is if it all turns out to be more of a splatfest before Hanyu takes the ice, because being pressured by the adversity of good performances by others may very well be to Hanyu what the Li Xiaopeng Hop is to Uchimura. But unlike Uchimura, he has no control over it. Which is why, when he says that he only wants to focus on his own performances, I really, really hope he's taken into account even the not-at-all-unlikely situation where someone ends up having a meltdown right before his own performance. Because that may be a bigger disruption/trigger* than the distraction the tantalizing bling of the Oly gold serves.

* I can't claim to be a big fan of Medvedeva's skating but her absolute focus is something I have ample admiration for, some of which I fervently hope Hanyu will finally find himself at least somewhat blessed with from next season on.

No matter successful or...less successful, I think people can be divided into four general groups: People who need to set goals, those who don't need to but prefer to, those who don't need to and prefer not to, and those who simply can't (because even if they did, they can't find it within themselves to get off their lazy asses to go out there and achieve them). Also, by goals, I meant major ones. I know two or three people who fit in the first group. Hanyu...I think is in the 2nd group. You're probably in the 3rd. I'm in the last. =P 

He said himself somewhere that his mistakes in the 2014 FS was precisely because his thinking had shifted to thinking about gold, instead of delivering the performance he wanted. You're absolutely right that this frame of thinking is his biggest enemy and I'm glad he recognises that and seems to be focused on delivering perfect performances - and letting the chips fall where they may (it so happens that right now, his perfect skate is almost certain to also get the goal he wants).

I just hope he doesn't lose that focus on delivering his ideal skate, not achieving his ideal result, given that literally everything is currently 'in place' for him to achieve that exact life dream/goal he's been aiming for since he started skating (despite just scraping into the first part of that goal at Sochi). I can't imagine how you can not be thinking at least a little about that. I'm with you in thinking it's very unlikely he retires immediately after Olympics, no matter the result. I'm really not worried about retirement - but I do imagine the kuyashii if anything goes wrong (touch wood) would be the biggest one ever. It'd be cool if we didn't have to experience that, I'm just sayin', thanks Yuzu : P (again, natural pessimist who likes to be prepared for the worst; in my heart of hearts, I actually am pretty optimistic about the whole thing, despite all outward appearances). 

Hmm that's interesting. I didn't really think of Yuzu as the type to be affected by others' poor performances (though he is the rare breed of human who is excited and fired up by other people's successes and as we saw in GPF 2015 re: Ten's alleged interference, he can sometimes skate brilliantly out of anger/saltiness too lmao). His biggest enemy has always been himself so in that, he's right in putting the focus on distilling what makes Zhenya get into that zone all the time. 

Oh I am absolutely a goal setter - but I'm a goal setter who is scared of articulating a huge life goal out loud or having something ideal/very hard crystallise too much in my head before it happens (and I get more nervous, the closer I am to achieving the goal). A combination of illogical superstition, not wanting to hype that goal up only to fail in front of others and knowing that talking too much about it puts me into a complacent mindset. I actually think it's a much healthier thing to not be afraid of failing spectacularly, as long as you try your best. Yuzu doesn't have those hangups because his primary drive is to work bloody hard so he'll be okay :laughing:

8 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Lol it's not like I'm looking for trouble, but I would like to see it. Do you happen to know videos of it? 

Oh man... it's really hard to find them and I kinda forgot where I last saw a source... I'll give you a heads up when I do...

ETA: Found one... but not the full thing. Just a snippet of the medal ceremony. Poor kiddo looked so sad winning his first nationals...

Spoiler

10 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

http://nonchan1023.tumblr.com/post/81057871753/i-hope-no-one-missed-out-on-this-scene-at-first/amp

1 단계. 물방울 양동이 준비.

2 단계. gif를 보려면 클릭하십시오.

3 단계. 당신의 마음을 녹여주십시오.

4. 녹은 심장으로 가득 찬 양동이를 심장 모양의 용기에 붓는다. 다시 흘리다. 

"아무도이 장면을 놓치지 않기를 바란다. 언뜻보기에 유즈 루는 관중석에서 일본 깃발을 빌린 것처럼 보인다. 유즈루는 그가 깃발을 빌린 사람이 타츠키의 팬이 선물로 그녀의 사진을 찍은 후 깃발을 돌려 사진을 찍은 후, 타츠키는 여자들을 향해 스케이트를 타기 시작했을 때 왜 팬이 타츠키에게 선물을 줄 수 있었는지 깨닫는다 "고 말했다.

Yuzu knows how to make people happy. like angel :sadPooh:

28 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Oh man... it's really hard to find them and I kinda forgot where I last saw a source... I'll give you a heads up when I do...

ETA: Found one... but not the full thing. Just a snippet of the medal ceremony. Poor kiddo looked so sad winning his first nationals...

Reveal hidden contents

Okay I don't mean to stoke the fires but what happened at Nationals? 

EDIT: Oh wait, I think I recall an interview where he thought his PCS was really inflated in this and that he didn't deserve to win?