General Yuzuru Chat

18 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

And that new Pino video is actually kind of :crazyshit: from what I understood. While I think it's really brave for Takahashi to come out and talk about losing his confidence, I wonder if there are still crazy fans of his ready to hate Yuzu even more after watching this...

Yeah, I only quickly scanned that clip and to be fair, it's a program that's all about Daisuke's journey so it's not like he couldn't talk about 2013. It's unfortunate that talking about it from his POV will inevitably stoke memories of old 'rivalries' that aren't applicable to the current conversation at all (esp given Yuzu is still actively competing). I like to think that the people who irrationally might hate on Yuzu after this would not be any different from the ones who already hate on him but it's hard not to be somewhat cool/lightly salty about someone who knocked your fave off their perch. Just an inevitable fact of sports and life.   

59 minutes ago, kamotejojo said:

Here's a new upload by Pino:

What's the context of this upload? Is there recent footage in this? I'm seeing a double 3-turn entry into the 4T but also lots of footage of POTO. So I'm confused about the timeline of this video?

6 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Yeah, I only quickly scanned that clip and to be fair, it's a program that's all about Daisuke's journey so it's not like he couldn't talk about 2013. It's unfortunate that talking about it from his POV will inevitably stoke memories of old 'rivalries' that aren't applicable to the current conversation at all (esp given Yuzu is still actively competing). I like to think that the people who irrationally might hate on Yuzu after this would not be any different from the ones who already hate on him but it's hard not to be somewhat cool/lightly salty about someone who knocked your fave off their perch. Just an inevitable fact of sports and life.   

Now I need context on this. What does Daisuke say in this video about Yuzu?

2 minutes ago, xeyra said:

What's the context of this upload? Is there recent footage in this? I'm seeing a double 3-turn entry into the 4T but also lots of footage of POTO. So I'm confused about the timeline of this video?

Context is that these are the Yuzu cuts from a broader documentary about Daisuke. Daisuke's commenting on what he's excited about for the coming season re: Yuzu and Shoma + answering general questions about Yuzu, esp in the context of his experiences competing with Yuzu (hence older clips). The clip where Yuzu talks about his Pyeongchang skate seems to be a new/recent clip.  

It's too late where I am to attempt a translation but I might write a couple of notes tomorrow if no one translates it

45 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

http://nonchan1023.tumblr.com/post/81057871753/i-hope-no-one-missed-out-on-this-scene-at-first/amp

Step 1. Prepare drip bucket.

Step 2. Click for gifs.

Step 3. Have your heart melted.

Step 4. Pour bucket full of melted heart into heart-shaped container. Refreeze. 

"I hope no one missed out on this scene.  At first glance, it looks like Yuzuru borrowed a Japanese flag from someone in the audience.  It wasn’t as simple as that.  Yuzuru quickly realizes that the person he borrowed the flag from was a fan of Tatsuki with a gift in her hand.  He tells Tatsuki after taking the picture to give back the flag.  Tatsuki realizes why when he starts skating towards the group of ladies.  The fan was able to give Tatsuki the gift in person."

Yuzu is very observant and thoughtful , also quick thinking too, I would have grasped the gift and handed to Tatsuki, if I happened to even see it :facepalm: . I remember he noticed Some flag upside down and fixed it ? He also collected the reporters' recorders making sure they were in good location,....the lists go on,....:bow:

4 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I'm not really sure about the timeline either... that it's cut to Yuzu-parts only makes it even more difficult to figure out IMO. TCC parts are from this year's Media day, though, I'm pretty sure.

As for what he's saying, just as a summary from what I remember without watching again, aside from what @kaerb said, until she or someone else has more time, he talks about how Yuzu came and grew/developed really fast and he lost the confidence that he can win. The interviewer actually asks him directly: "Did you ever think 'I can't win over Hanyu'?" and he says he came to think that all the time (or something like that). And also that because of that, skating started being painful/hard/not fun.

I can't imagine what it must be like to compete against Yuzu, especially when you were before hailed as the best - in their country, at least. I often wonder how Javi dealt with growing alongside Yuzu, even if the situation is different and have a lot of respect over his coming to accept a perfect Yuzu is unbeatable. But it must be hard, as a competitive athlete, to compete against Yuzu...

5 hours ago, xeyra said:

This picture in @gladi's latest translation just makes me go LOL, though, because a) his expression and b) the angle of the photo makes it look like he has an extremely thin leg and the other with a killer thigh. 

tumblr_inline_ovoi4n303x1ue4po9_1280.jpg

>_> that's my third favorite picture in the entire magazine, c'mon XD

It's such an awesome, dynamic photo :3

6 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

The interviewer actually asks him directly: "Did you ever think 'I can't win over Hanyu'?" and he says he came to think that all the time (or something like that). And also that because of that, skating started being painful/hard/not fun.

I can't imagine what it must be like to compete against Yuzu, especially when you were before hailed as the best - in their country, at least. I often wonder how Javi dealt with growing alongside Yuzu, even if the situation is different and have a lot of respect over his coming to accept a perfect Yuzu is unbeatable. But it must be hard, as a competitive athlete, to compete against Yuzu...

A question they could ask themselves could be "What would Yuzu do if Yuzu had to compete against himself?" and the answer is: he would try to go beyond his own limits, continue to grow and work on his strenghts and work on his weaknesses to create something unique, that only he could do. (I bet that's how Shoma motivates himself, lol. Trying to be as strong as Yuzuru, to maybe one day become stronger. This is one thing I admire about Shoma)

I'm not saying that depressing thoughts are wrong, everyone's sensitivity is different and if that's what Takahashi felt, then there's nothing no one can do about it. But getting angry at Yuzuru for 'taking away motivation from Takahashi'? Is just ridiculous. Motivation is built inside oneself. If Takahashi or whoever else loses motivation in front of a (seemingly impossible) challenge, then that's on them. Yuzuru has nothing to do about it. 

12 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

But it must be hard, as a competitive athlete, to compete against Yuzu...

Helps that Yuzu is as inconsistent as most other guys, though. You never know if you're gonna find the Warrior God Yuzu or the SC one. 

Now if you look at the ladies discipline.... I find this sentiment would be more fitting if one were competing against Zhenya when she wins ALL THE TIME!

Just now, Murieleirum said:

A question they could ask themselves could be "What would Yuzu do if Yuzu had to compete against himself?" and the answer is: he would try to go beyond his own limits, continue to grow and work on his strenghts and work on his weaknesses to create something unique, that only he could do. (I bet that's how Shoma motivates himself, lol. Trying to be as strong as Yuzuru, to maybe one day become stronger. This is one thing I admire about Shoma)

I'm not saying that depressing thoughts are wrong, everyone's sensitivity is different and if that's what Takahashi felt, then there's nothing no one can do about it. But getting angry at Yuzuru for 'taking away motivation from Takahashi'? Is just ridiculous. Motivation is built inside oneself. If Takahashi or whoever else loses motivation in front of a (seemingly impossible) challenge, then that's on them. Yuzuru has nothing to do about it. 

It's easier for Shoma and Nathan and Boyang though. They're younger than Yuzu and they came along when he was already on top (even if Shoma's been around Yuzu since before that).

I don't think Takahashi ever imagined someone like Yuzu would come along. Yuzu pretty much came and turned everything Takahashi probably believed in, on its head. That'd mess up anyone. I'd be curious how Patrick took it, if he'd ever speak openly about it, because it was probably a blow to him, too. One example, the first time Yuzu broke the short program record, they had footage of Daisuke saying he'd just heard of it and how it was virtually 100 points and he didn't have the confidence he could reach such a score. He'd probably not imagined anyone would. That's the sort of thing I mean.

That said, Takahashi doesn't blame Yuzu. He actually seems to be a bit in awe of him. But some of his fans might.

I don't really know much about Dai and all the drama that happened between the fans back then but I guess I could understand why Dai's fans dislike Yuzu very much. A young skater showed up and climbing up the ranks very quickly against all the much older and experienced skaters especially their favourites.. But I feel sorry that Dai lost his confidence and Yuzu was just doing his best, it wasn't really his fault but Yuzu brought a storm when he moved to senior. And winning Sochi on top of that.. 

I'm just glad that between Dai and Yuzu there wasn't an actual feud between them. It's good that Yuzu is trying to avoid any feud with skaters and tries his best to avoid such topics from the media..

4 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Helps that Yuzu is as inconsistent as most other guys, though. You never know if you're gonna find the Warrior God Yuzu or the SC one. 

Now if you look at the ladies discipline.... I find this sentiment would be more fitting if one were competing against Zhenya when she wins ALL THE TIME!

That's a good point. Now this makes me wonder if his aiming for consistency this season is also in order to get a psychological upper hand. Because if Warrior God Yuzu would appear ever time, the other guys will be shaking in their boots by the Olympics... (I'd still be nervous, though, because there were two perfect Seimeis in 2015, too, followed by two imperfect ones...)

4 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

I don't really know much about Dai and all the drama that happened between the fans back then but I guess I could understand why Dai's fans dislike Yuzu very much. A young skater showed up and climbing up the ranks very quickly against all the much older and experienced skaters especially their favourites.. But I feel sorry that Dai lost his confidence and Yuzu was just doing his best, it wasn't really his fault but Yuzu brought a storm when he moved to senior. And winning Sochi on top of that.. 

I'm just glad that between Dai and Yuzu there wasn't an actual feud between them. It's good that Yuzu is trying to avoid any feud with skaters and tries his best to avoid such topics from the media..

I understand his fans in a way, too. I admit, I'm not fond of the "Shoma to overcome Yuzu" narratives, either. But there are, like in any fandom, the irrational ones and I just recently read some things Daisuke fanatics have said about Yuzu, that I'd rather forget. But yes, I don't think Daisuke really has hard feelings about Yuzu. And Yuzu is such a nice and fair guy, I think it must be really hard to dislike him, when you know him in person. So it's hard for feuds to happen.