General Yuzuru Chat

25 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Actually, from giving the article a glance over, they seem to be saying exactly that even though there were many students and salarymen and such, nobody recognized him (or seemed to recognize him).

But I also generally know tabloids do generally sort of get permission, by announcing agencies of what they're going to publish. I think taking and publishing pictures of anyone without permission is illegal in Japan. That's why whenever you see random pictures of random people, more often than not, their faces are censored. I think a singer recently won a legal case on something like that. So tabloids do sort of get - albeit probably very reluctant - permission, I think... Although it is very weird... And then of course, there's the articles, which will always try to spin things in the worst ways, even when the pictures are completely innocent. (Being the fan of an idol whose reputation was at least partly destroyed by tabloids, I've tended to pay attention to the way they work, but some things still don't make sense to me.)

As for fans recognizing him... firstly, I think in Japan they'd mostly leave him alone. Japanese fans are scary in large numbers - well, all fans are scary in large numbers lol - but generally, day to day, they tend to respect other people's privacy. They might take pictures - iphone/sns era... - or share sightings, but generally won't approach the celebrity to bother them. On top of that, as someone who doesn't really even look properly at the faces of people who pass by me day to day, I probably wouldn't see him to have a chance to recognize him. And I don't think there are many who do look, especially in Japan. So spotting him would probably only be accidental. And what are the chances, really? That on a rare occasion when my eyes do pass over someone's face - or neck :P - it's Yuzu? However, if/when he goes back, it will probably get much harder, as people will be hungrier for glimpses of him and there'll be less of "he's an athlete, disturbing him is bad for everyone, so...". Although it seems there were rumors about Takahashi being gay in tabloids even when he was competing (accidentally stumbled upon someone saying there had been the other day), so... I guess Yuzu being a national treasure protects him from the more intrusive stuff - if we ignore the girlfriend thing - for now.

Thank you for your insight and for glancing the article over. I should be relieved it's mundane, but I'm not really. I confess I'm very biased against Friday (I'm also a JPN idol fan and like @SparkleSalad said, yes I have trauma lol) and no matter if the gossip from Friday is neutral or not, I just wish his name or image ever wouldn't be printed in their papers (which I know is unlikely because of who is he, but one can wish) since he's too good to ever be touched by such a (insert bad word here) tabloid.

Honestly, my opinion, I don't think being a national treasure saves Yuzu (some people still write bad stuff about him, his attitude and his choices), but right now he literally hasn't done anything worthwhile for them to write about unless someone is reaching and connecting gifs or something.

48 minutes ago, crazykuroneko said:

Shae-Lynn is one of the cast of Friends on Ice, so most likely that's her priority to be there. But with the fact she visited Seimei shrine, I guess they're working on Seimei a little bit there

Ah, thank you for the information! I had no idea. That's what happens when I don't pay attention to events if Yuzu's not in them lol

46 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Honestly, my opinion, I don't think being a national treasure saves Yuzu (some people still write bad stuff about him, his attitude and his choices), but right now he literally hasn't done anything worthwhile for them to write about unless someone is reaching and connecting gifs or something.

I think he is somewhat protected. What has been written bad about him so far has been mostly about his career and while that might be unfair, he is an athlete and there will be divided opinions and that's normal. Of course, it's not right if someone publishes their opinion as fact, but in many ways, his career is fair game for criticism, as long as there aren't claims of sabotage or corruption whatever else. Stuff that goes beyond skating. FS is a subjective sport, so there will always be opinions.

The problem is if they start intruding in his private life. That tabloid back then trying to snoop into his family situation was bad, but even then they didn't approach it in a negative way. the girlfriend thing, as well. There's nothing wrong about a 20 year old having a girlfriend - though with his level of popularity, there's a chance a perceived girlfriend would get harrassed.

And yes, his life is very quiet by normal celebrity standards, but I think they could have invented a million stories by now, already. And put negative spins on them. But he's a national treasure, a tragic hero and very much loved even by the general public, so the reaction would be disbelief and anger at the publisher and that's just shooting themselves in the foot. (Those writing negatively even about his career are having it hard already, imagine if it went into his private life.)

When will people will get hungrier about Yuzu the man, when he won't be competing anymore, or if he somehow fell from grace - though I can't imagine how the latter could happen - things might change. But from recent interviews, I think that's not going to happen very soon.

So, yes, essentially I agree. I wish they'd leave him alone, but it's not realistic. And at least it's unlikely they'll write truly intrusive or bad things.

3 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Right? I'm happy for him that he's able to behave so freely (and, let's face it, adorably) at competitions but some people seem to be confusing him with an idol and idol life is absolutely awful. I heard they're selling his photos alongside idols in Harajuku and that's... not great. I wonder if he realises how bad it will be when he moves back. I hope he never has to deal with that and I hope Friday doesn't do to him what they do to idols. 

I agree....while I am a fangirl and Yuzu is kinda like an idol to me, I don't want him to be treated like a celebrity. I'm ok with hearing nothing about Yuzu, especially if the tabloid doesn't have his permission. If I miss Yuzu, I'll just rewatch his programs. While I disagree with the treatment some celebrities get, at least they knew what they were getting into when they chose their careers. Yuzu is first and foremost a figure skater, and I'm sad that this is the price he has to pay for his brilliance. :sadPooh:

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

Ah, thank you for the information! I had no idea. That's what happens when I don't pay attention to events if Yuzu's not in them lol

I think he is somewhat protected. What has been written bad about him so far has been mostly about his career and while that might be unfair, he is an athlete and there will be divided opinions and that's normal. Of course, it's not right if someone publishes their opinion as fact, but in many ways, his career is fair game for criticism, as long as there aren't claims of sabotage or corruption whatever else. Stuff that goes beyond skating. FS is a subjective sport, so there will always be opinions.

The problem is if they start intruding in his private life. That tabloid back then trying to snoop into his family situation was bad, but even then they didn't approach it in a negative way. the girlfriend thing, as well. There's nothing wrong about a 20 year old having a girlfriend - though with his level of popularity, there's a chance a perceived girlfriend would get harrassed.

And yes, his life is very quiet by normal celebrity standards, but I think they could have invented a million stories by now, already. And put negative spins on them. But he's a national treasure, a tragic hero and very much loved even by the general public, so the reaction would be disbelief and anger at the publisher and that's just shooting themselves in the foot. (Those writing negatively even about his career are having it hard already, imagine if it went into his private life.)

When will people will get hungrier about Yuzu the man, when he won't be competing anymore, or if he somehow fell from grace - though I can't imagine how the latter could happen - things might change. But from recent interviews, I think that's not going to happen very soon.

So, yes, essentially I agree. I wish they'd leave him alone, but it's not realistic. And at least it's unlikely they'll write truly intrusive or bad things.

Well said....I really wish they stop speculating or probing his private life. I feel sad that Yuzu can't move around as freely in Japan because he loves Japan so much. I think most of his fans are rationale, but there are always people who don't respect boundaries and are reasons while tabloids are still making money. =(

As for the girlfriend thing, that was so random. I think that incident really affected how Yuzu view the media. Yuzu once mentioned that he wanted to get married between 25-27 years old, so I'm worried that these annoying pap are making it hard for him. The media is the part of the reason why many celebrities remain single because they can't find someone or their relationships didn't last. I don't want that to happen to Yuzu. :sadPooh:

On a side note, it took me a while to realize that Friday is the name of the tabloid. I was initially confused because I couldn't understand where everyone is bashing fridays since it's one day before the weekends. 

Mm I don't envy his eventual significant other who will have to bear the weight of all that public expectation and curiosity. That being said, think the public are generally more accepting of athletes getting married young and being in relationships though because they're not bound to 'no SO' clauses like idols are and their bread and butter doesn't rely on the honestly super warped notion (in Japan and Asia in particular) of being single and 'available' for their fans. Of course, slightly different for people like Yuzu and Mao who are approaching idol-level fanbases but still. I hope the fans will be more understanding. 

On a lighter note....how is that final photo from the back even real. His legs look like they go on forever 

2 hours ago, singcarcom said:

As for the girlfriend thing, that was so random. I think that incident really affected how Yuzu view the media. Yuzu once mentioned that he wanted to get married between 25-27 years old, so I'm worried that these annoying pap are making it hard for him. The media is the part of the reason why many celebrities remain single because they can't find someone or their relationships didn't last. I don't want that to happen to Yuzu. :sadPooh:

On a side note, it took me a while to realize that Friday is the name of the tabloid. I was initially confused because I couldn't understand where everyone is bashing fridays since it's one day before the weekends. 

The media aren't the problem as much as the fans are. And in Japan, especially, because of the idol industry, anyone perceived as an idol will have a hard time. In a way the fact that Yuzu hasn't had any girlfriends until now, if he suddenly appears with a fiance, it'll be even worse, because people haven't had a chance to get used to it. Idol fangirls can be really extreme - the story of SMAP Kimura Takuya fans committing suicide when he announced his marriage, for the most extreme example, though other idols suffered heavily for marrying, as well - but that attitude is encouraged by the agencies and such, who continue to cater to these fangirls, with the no dating rules. Aside from that, media feeds the masses what they want to see/hear/read, if nobody cared who dates whom, that wouldn't sell and media wouldn't cover it. But people care, as I guess it's human nature by now.

And as people were talking about Friday, I really can't say generally, but on one occasion, with another musician I liked - who is usually happily ignored by tabloids and media alike - Friday was the only one that published a 'close friend' POV and a positive spin, while others were running a negative story. I have no idea why, it was probably some sort of deal or so, but it made me mellow somewhat towards Friday, I guess. ^_^;

2 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

The media aren't the problem as much as the fans are. And in Japan, especially, because of the idol industry, anyone perceived as an idol will have a hard time. In a way the fact that Yuzu hasn't had any girlfriends until now, if he suddenly appears with a fiance, it'll be even worse, because people haven't had a chance to get used to it. Idol fangirls can be really extreme - the story of SMAP Kimura Takuya fans committing suicide when he announced his marriage, for the most extreme example, though other idols suffered heavily for marrying, as well - but that attitude is encouraged by the agencies and such, who continue to cater to these fangirls, with the no dating rules. Aside from that, media feeds the masses what they want to see/hear/read, if nobody cared who dates whom, that wouldn't sell and media wouldn't cover it. But people care, as I guess it's human nature by now.

And as people were talking about Friday, I really can't say generally, but on one occasion, with another musician I liked - who is usually happily ignored by tabloids and media alike - Friday was the only one that published a 'close friend' POV and a positive spin, while others were running a negative story. I have no idea why, it was probably some sort of deal or so, but it made me mellow somewhat towards Friday, I guess. ^_^;

Hmmm...was it common knowledge that eg. Mura and Nobu were with their wives before they announced their marriage/children? I mean...Yuzu's situation is rather unprecedented (though I hear Daisuke was the nation's favourite prior to him so were there many rumours about him?) but I would still distinguish his case from the idol situation because there's no 'formal' expectation that he remain 'free' for his fans, unlike Johnny's groups who basically have to be celibate in the public eye for eternity =___=;;;; It's just unfortunate for his dating life that he has a lot of 'idol' qualities and a idol-like fanbase so there may be some backlash. 

About the edge, it has something to do with physics. I had to do some calculation re: the correlations of speed-angle-displacement-rigidity(muscle strength)-duration for something similar to this once in a mechanics course. Not a fun time.

But, yeah, it's still magic that Yuzu can execute it, rather easily and regularly, too. :10636614:

5 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I know...I can't understand those crazy fangirls. No matter how much I love a celebrity, I would never think of dating them even if our ages are suitable because ultimately I only know the person as a character on screen, not the person in his entirety. I guess it's both a blessing and a curse that Yuzu has attractive looks. 

Not sure how realistic it is, but I don't mind Yuzu just marry and never reveal who his wife is. Given how good the rest of his family members are with ninja skills, I would hope they can impart some of this wisdom to his future wife and kids. I would hate for Yuzu's loved ones to be harassed by crazy fans or the media. As fans, there is not much we can do but to avoid supporting any tabloid so that we don't encourage the market for 'juicy' news.