General Yuzuru Chat

19 minutes ago, b138oo said:

I think the thing that will be hard for Coach Yuzu in the future is his experience as a very talented skater. He has everything as a skater, both the artistic and the tech parts, but it would be hard to expect that from other skaters. I am afraid he would be frustrated if his students couldn't reach his super high quality expectation, because not all top athletes are geniuses and a complete package. Yuzu needs to compromise and as we all can see, he's not very good at that (which is also why Brian keeps losing his hair). Also, Yuzu's technique is so good, his jumps, especially, are so smooth. To build the smooth technique, an athlete needs a good foundation. It will be harder to correct the bad technique than building a good technique from scratch and Yuzu is very critical about good technique. So, I think if he's ever be a coach, he better coaches the athletes from the very beginning not trying to bash anyone, but I don't think shoma's UR jumps technique could be saved even by Coach Yuzu and I could imagine Coach Yuzu's disapproving look every time he sees that considering how little he cheats on his jumps. 

He can also pick students who have good techniques:tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

30 minutes ago, b138oo said:

I think the thing that will be hard for Coach Yuzu in the future is his experience as a very talented skater. He has everything as a skater, both the artistic and the tech parts, but it would be hard to expect that from other skaters. I am afraid he would be frustrated if his students couldn't reach his super high quality expectation, because not all top athletes are geniuses and a complete package. Yuzu needs to compromise and as we all can see, he's not very good at that (which is also why Brian keeps losing his hair). Also, Yuzu's technique is so good, his jumps, especially, are so smooth. To build the smooth technique, an athlete needs a good foundation. It will be harder to correct the bad technique than building a good technique from scratch and Yuzu is very critical about good technique. So, I think if he's ever be a coach, he better coaches the athletes from the very beginning not trying to bash anyone, but I don't think shoma's UR jumps technique could be saved even by Coach Yuzu and I could imagine Coach Yuzu's disapproving look every time he sees that considering how little he cheats on his jumps. 

That and he has a competitive mentality and such a focus when he's on ice that I wonder if he will be able to adapt to a student with a more lax attitude or perhaps doesn't have the drive or burn to be the best that he does. The mentality and goals of coach and pupil is important (and it even took Brian and Yuzu a while to reach an understanding it seems).

43 minutes ago, b138oo said:

Coach Yuzu, aka Brian's Hair's revenge? :facepalm:

Mental theater: On a bright sunny August morning, in a Sendai ice rink far far away,  Coach Hanyu, age 42 is circling around the rink on pattern 99 revs while a young willowy japanese boy skates on center ice.  There seems to be a disagreement about a jump. 

Skater: But I think I will need the quad Axel next season. Quad lutz isn't even unique anymore, everyone's doing them; quad axel though, there's just me and that one guy from Canada and spain training them. 

Coach Yuzu: Listen, you can't just jump jump jump. You must deliver the total package. 

Skater: Jumps are part of the total package. Besides, I want to win the Oly gold medal too. 

Coach Yuzu: But you must also look after your health, even if you don't do it this cycle, you're young enough for the next cycle. 

Skater: you didn't wait...

Coach Yuzu: ....well no I didn't...

Skater: *stares* 

Coach Yuzu: You don't need to be that intense....

Skater: uh huh....sure....

Hours later on the phone-

Coach Yuzu: Javi, what is with kids these days?!

Coach Javi:...yes, what happened?

Coach Yuzu: I'm trying to tell him to be less intense and wound up, and he just stares at me!

Coach Javi: ....well, you aren't really in a position to say much, considering how you were back then

Coach Yuzu: ....*cricket chirp*

Coach Javi: ...take a chill pill...

Coach Yuzu:...how does one do that?

Coach Yuzu:  Brian, how do you deal with students who <insert 10 min diatribe>

Brian:....he sounds like you....

Coach Yuzu: huh?

Brian: you just deal with it. Welcome to hair loss world. :knc_brian2:

Hello uh... I had a Situation AND i dont think ill be home to récord The radio broadcast... Is anyone willing to récord it? I'll give you The voodoo instructions :P (not typing from my phone bc it died pls forgive The mistakes LOL)

Is in about two hours...

53 minutes ago, Xen said:

Mental theater: On a bright sunny August morning, in a Sendai ice rink far far away,  Coach Hanyu, age 42 is circling around the rink on pattern 99 revs while a young willowy japanese boy skates on center ice.  There seems to be a disagreement about a jump. 

Skater: But I think I will need the quad Axel next season. Quad lutz isn't even unique anymore, everyone's doing them; quad axel though, there's just me and that one guy from Canada and spain training them. 

Coach Yuzu: Listen, you can't just jump jump jump. You must deliver the total package. 

Skater: Jumps are part of the total package. Besides, I want to win the Oly gold medal too. 

Coach Yuzu: But you must also look after your health, even if you don't do it this cycle, you're young enough for the next cycle. 

Coach Yuzu: I'm trying to tell him to be less intense and wound up, and he just stares at me!

Coach Javi: ....well, you aren't really in a position to say much, considering how you were back then

:embSwan:

11 minutes ago, Xen said:

This would be fit those scenario :rofl:

Coach yuzu as Brian and the skater as yuzu.. :rofl:welcome to hair loss

tumblr_inline_ouft61urb91qhp2lx_500.gif

Source

8 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Hello uh... I had a Situation AND i dont think ill be home to récord The radio broadcast... Is anyone willing to récord it? I'll give you The voodoo instructions :P (not typing from my phone bc it died pls forgive The mistakes LOL)

Is in about two hours...

I was about to ask when.... /sigh/ won't be able to help out. Hopefully someone will be able to!

37 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

I was about to ask when.... /sigh/ won't be able to help out. Hopefully someone will be able to!

Yeah I'm... LOL pretty pissed, i left everything set UP at home haha

Hiwever, my method Is Easy :) so ir anyone Is wiling to help, PM me pls :)

ETA: Got home, yay! I will record it :biggrin:

59 minutes ago, Yuazz said:

This would be fit those scenario :rofl:

Coach yuzu as Brian and the skater as yuzu.. :rofl:welcome to hair loss

tumblr_inline_ouft61urb91qhp2lx_500.gif

Source

That gif kills me every time :xD: I'm glad Yuzu and Brian seem to have reached an understanding of how to work with each other. Brian's methods are quite 'Western' and aren't exactly conventional, given the general Asian education system and their idea of a teacher/coach's role (which probably explains the accounts of Yuzu staying quiet in his first years at TCC and just agreeing to everything). I think Brian's approach suits Yuzu's style since he's so opinionated and individualistic - he needs a coach who can slow him down and hold him back when he gets too intense but also take the time to respect and understand his decisions and approach. This is the difficulty of teaching because students are so different - a lot of the time, it's about how well the partnership and mix of personalities works and what combination will allow an athlete to flourish (that being said Nanami Abe seemed to fit him well too). 

23 minutes ago, kaerb said:

That gif kills me every time :xD: I'm glad Yuzu and Brian seem to have reached an understanding of how to work with each other. Brian's methods are quite 'Western' and aren't exactly conventional, given the general Asian education system and their idea of a teacher/coach's role (which probably explains the accounts of Yuzu staying quiet in his first years at TCC and just agreeing to everything). I think Brian's approach suits Yuzu's style since he's so opinionated and individualistic - he needs a coach who can slow him down and hold him back when he gets too intense but also take the time to respect and understand his decisions and approach. This is the difficulty of teaching because students are so different - a lot of the time, it's about how well the partnership and mix of personalities works and what combination will allow an athlete to flourish (that being said Nanami Abe seemed to fit him well too). 

Remember in 2012: :rofl:

Icenetwork.com: So, how is Yuzu's English coming along?

Orser: We have to work on that; he is so polite, he says 'yes' to everything. He has no idea what he is saying yes to. I have a translator on my speed dial.

I'm so happy they're now able to communicate with each other properly. I do feel Tracy and Ghislain were a big help as well.

Just now, kaeryth said:

Remember in 2012: :rofl:

Icenetwork.com: So, how is Yuzu's English coming along?

Orser: We have to work on that; he is so polite, he says 'yes' to everything. He has no idea what he is saying yes to. I have a translator on my speed dial.

I'm so happy they're now able to communicate with each other properly. I do feel Tracy and Ghislain were a big help as well.

:laughing: lmao that's what I was thinking of and it's 100% because Asian education system (generally) says 'the teacher's words are law, shut up and listen' which...tbh doesn't quite work with more individualistic-minded students, especially someone as driven and opinionated as Yuzu is (lowkey back then but highkey now LOL). While Nanami Abe seemed like a really supportive and liberal coach, I think he needed an environment where he was encouraged to be opinionated and take charge of his skating and entire performance to bring out that fire (and have people push back against him too...I think that's one thing Abe-coach may have struggled with as he matured if he continued with her? WILD SPECULATION, obvs).  

A completely personal theory but I think Yuzu would be a very clear and accommodating/sensitive coach since he's so observant and smart about explaining things, but he would need a students with that same thirst to really get him invested and excited about their progress. I suppose we may see if we get clips from his workshop.