General Yuzuru Chat

16 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

If the Grand Prix series and World Championships are more about the fans, the Olympics is about the world, bigger than just us established fans. This is the one chance skaters get to actually make their sport appeal to a wider range of audience

THIS :2thumbsup: and I think yuzu made a good decision. Bring back Chopin and SEIMEI. The World need to see both that perfect programs. 

Kyodo News

Figure skating: Hanyu to skate to "Onmyoji" during Olympic season

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2017/08/85d4fe54983a-figure-skating-hanyu-to-skate-to-onmyoji-during-olympic-season.html 

TORONTO – Reigning Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu said Tuesday he will be using the soundtrack from the film "Onmyoji" (The Yin-Yang Master) for his free skate program in the 2017-2018 season, including at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.

Speaking to reporters in Toronto where he is currently training, Hanyu said he has long been planning to use the music from the popular 2001 Japanese movie.

It will be the second time he performs to the piece. He set his free skate routine to it throughout the 2015-2016 season, when he took men's figure skating to a new level.

That season, Hanyu broke the world free skate score record several times, skating to the Japanese-themed music where he portrayed a 10th century Japanese astronomer Abe no Seimei.

At the Grand Prix Final in Barcelona in December 2015, Hanyu received a record shattering total of 330.43 points, 219.48 in the free and 110.95 in the short, with two of the three – total score and short program score – still standing as world records.

"I was able to perform well to that music, so I knew I wanted to use it in the Olympic season. I've been saving it for this occasion," Hanyu said.

Six months out from the games in South Korea, the 22-year-old has been working on his quad jumps in training. He plans to add a fifth quad to the free skate routine he put together for the world championships in Helsinki in April, when (he) earned his second world title by racking up a world record 223.20 points for his free skate.

"The quality of composition (of my free skate program) has definitely improved compared to last season and I'm eager to create strong, attacking choreography," said Hanyu, revealing his plan to jump three of the five quads in the second half of the program – when jumps scores are multiplied by a bonus factor of 1.1.

Hanyu earlier announced he has selected Chopin's "Ballad No. 1" for his short program, also the same music he used two seasons ago for his 2-minute, 50 second program.

"Maybe I had a few doubts about (using the same music) for the short program but I knew before going into last season that I would use Onmyoji for the free (this season)."

Competitors are free to use the music of their choice, but it is uncommon for a skater to reuse a piece as Hanyu plans to do.

But the Japanese believes the right music can make or break a program, and these two pieces will help turn his Olympic goal into reality. He is aiming to be the first person in 66 years to win two consecutive Olympic gold medals in men's figure skating.

"My goal for the season? Of course, I want to win a second gold," Hanyu said.

Hanyu added he was comfortable with the way he is skating and did not feel any pressure to rewrite his world records in the short and the free programs.

"There is not really any pressure. I am feeling comfortable with my skating. My jumps, spins and steps – I have made all of the elements my own and I am not thinking about anything extraneous."

Asked what would be required to defend his Olympics title, Hanyu said, "The most important thing is to skate cleanly. If I can do that then the results will follow naturally."

56 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

+prolly a bunch of posts with similar sentiments (only came in after the 922 mark):

I suppose pissed/disappointed is a natural reaction for a lot of people but I feel it's more something they can't help doing to themselves rather than any real influence from outside forces.

Hopefully those of you who are harboring some disappointment or resentment will fully come around before he actually goes out there and proves your anger/disappointment unjustified. Because I think if Hanyu had gone with new programs, even if the programs are new and the tech gets an upgrade, essentially, we'll be seeing the same process all over again. The guy will struggle in the early season and by the second half, it's a gamble on whether he nails it or not. As an audience, my reaction would be:

Early season: ....man I wish I knew how to fall like that.

Mid season: ...okay, he's getting there...hopefully...maybe...

Late season: Let him pull through please let him deliver oh please oh please oh please *shushes heart whining about over-stimulation*

Which is completely fine, during the mid-cycles. I daresay it's what I prefer, even.

But come the Olympics, while the whole world's watching, building consistency leading up to it to show the world perfection (which gives them the illusion that the skater was born able to skate like that) is the game. Especially for Hanyu, who's remembered as the guy who won with a WIP skate, he has all the more reason to show them his finished product, and while this finished product is something FS fans think they've seen before (seriously, I think we ain't seen nothing yet), it'll be something completely new to the rest of the world. Imagine the amount of new fans the sport would gain if he and everyone else manage to do what they're aiming to do in PyeongChang. The future possibilities for the sport are just...

If the Grand Prix series and World Championships are more about the fans, the Olympics is about the world, bigger than just us established fans. We always forget that. This is the one chance skaters get to actually make their sport appeal to a wider range of audience, and although they usually squander it by making it seem boring, with all the quadmeisters and Hanyu trying to deliver his absolute best (only possible at this point with these two programs, but the rest of the world don't know that, and they don't need to) this time around, it'll be different.

I think ISU has been waiting all their lives for something like this, and it's actually happening. And it's dependent upon the strategies of all the leading contenders. I guess that kind of explains the judging last season. Cos if the quadmeisters provide exhilaration and excitement that get people pumped up, Hanyu's performance, if perfect, would seal the deal, showing them what a perfect FS performance that's both sport and art at the same time, is really like in its ultimate form.

Hanyu has done so many new things and pushed the sport forward so much and this one is just another form of something new, really. This is a major, major step forward, people, and not even a slight shuffle back. Maybe it's harder to see since it's hidden underneath the giant forms of "programs" but rest assured what he's attempting this season is something he's never done before, and I don't just mean the layout (since him upping his tech is really nothing new) and if he's successful, the result  will be something *nobody*, FS-fan or no, would have ever seen before.

Hanyu is the sort of skater you'd never dare to keep your expectations too high for even while knowing that at some point, he'll probably wow you, so you only dare to remain very hopeful, in normal seasons, because the former is just folly when it comes to Hanyu. Right now, though,  I'm actually having high expectations, not just hopes, because I feel there's a good chance they will actually get answered. You know, kinda like making an informed decision when making a huge investment. I think I'm finally more or less on the same page as @meoimawhen it comes to Hanyu and the Olympics. He'll do fine. I think. xxD

At this point, I'm actually wondering why more people aren't already doing what Hanyu 's doing. Experiment and improve like hell during the mid-cycles, and then pick the best stuff from these mid-cycles to polish for delivery to the entire world in the O-season.  They don't even have to do it exactly like him (increase tech content), but only maintain their best efforts (meaning no downgrade, which most skaters until now seem to resort to doing). I really do think this would open more people's eyes to the appeal of figure skating rather than those who somehow managed to stumble upon it themselves. It would kick the doors wide open for people to flow in, rather than the trickle all this time.

This may be the only time in a long while we'll get to see all this happening, the effects of which would dramatically change the very future of the sport, and the major role Hanyu will play in it. Wouldn't you all rather see this then what is more or less, while very exciting, essentially just another mid-cycle attempt?

Standing ovation!!!   And you hit the nail in the head with the  bolded part. 

54 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

+prolly a bunch of posts with similar sentiments (only came in after the 922 mark):

I suppose pissed/disappointed is a natural reaction for a lot of people but I feel it's more something they can't help doing to themselves rather than any real influence from outside forces.

Hopefully those of you who are harboring some disappointment or resentment will fully come around before he actually goes out there and proves your anger/disappointment unjustified. Because I think if Hanyu had gone with new programs, even if the programs are new and the tech gets an upgrade, essentially, we'll be seeing the same process all over again. The guy will struggle in the early season and by the second half, it's a gamble on whether he nails it or not. As an audience, my reaction would be:

Early season: ....man I wish I knew how to fall like that.

Mid season: ...okay, he's getting there...hopefully...maybe...

Late season: Let him pull through please let him deliver oh please oh please oh please *shushes heart whining about over-stimulation*

Which is completely fine, during the mid-cycles. I daresay it's what I prefer, even.

But come the Olympics, while the whole world's watching, building consistency leading up to it to show the world perfection (which gives them the illusion that the skater was born able to skate like that) is the game. Especially for Hanyu, who's remembered as the guy who won with a WIP skate, he has all the more reason to show them his finished product, and while this finished product is something FS fans think they've seen before (seriously, I think we ain't seen nothing yet), it'll be something completely new to the rest of the world. Imagine the amount of new fans the sport would gain if he and everyone else manage to do what they're aiming to do in PyeongChang. The future possibilities for the sport are just...

If the Grand Prix series and World Championships are more about the fans, the Olympics is about the world, bigger than just us established fans. We always forget that. This is the one chance skaters get to actually make their sport appeal to a wider range of audience, and although they usually squander it by making it seem boring, with all the quadmeisters and Hanyu trying to deliver his absolute best (only possible at this point with these two programs, but the rest of the world don't know that, and they don't need to) this time around, it'll be different.

I think ISU has been waiting all their lives for something like this, and it's actually happening. And it's dependent upon the strategies of all the leading contenders. I guess that kind of explains the judging last season. Cos if the quadmeisters provide exhilaration and excitement that get people pumped up, Hanyu's performance, if perfect, would seal the deal, showing them what a perfect FS performance that's both sport and art at the same time, is really like in its ultimate form.

Hanyu has done so many new things and pushed the sport forward so much and this one is just another form of something new, really. This is a major, major step forward, people, and not even a slight shuffle back. Maybe it's harder to see since it's hidden underneath the giant forms of "programs" but rest assured what he's attempting this season is something he's never done before, and I don't just mean the layout (since him upping his tech is really nothing new) and if he's successful, the result  will be something *nobody*, FS-fan or no, would have ever seen before.

Hanyu is the sort of skater you'd never dare to keep your expectations too high for even while knowing that at some point, he'll probably wow you, so you only dare to remain very hopeful, in normal seasons, because the former is just folly when it comes to Hanyu. Right now, though,  I'm actually having high expectations, not just hopes, because I feel there's a good chance they will actually get answered. You know, kinda like making an informed decision when making a huge investment. I think I'm finally more or less on the same page as @meoimawhen it comes to Hanyu and the Olympics. He'll do fine. I think. xxD

At this point, I'm actually wondering why more people aren't already doing what Hanyu 's doing. Experiment and improve like hell during the mid-cycles, and then pick the best stuff from these mid-cycles to polish for delivery to the entire world in the O-season.  They don't even have to do it exactly like him (increase tech content), but only maintain their best efforts (meaning no downgrade, which most skaters until now seem to resort to doing). I really do think this would open more people's eyes to the appeal of figure skating rather than those who somehow managed to stumble upon it themselves. It would kick the doors wide open for people to flow in, rather than the trickle all this time.

This may be the only time in a long while we'll get to see all this happening, the effects of which would dramatically change the very future of the sport, and the major role Hanyu will play in it. Wouldn't you all rather see this then what is more or less, while very exciting, essentially just another mid-cycle attempt?

omg you explained this much more clearly than i ever could. totally agree w you! tbh everytime ppl were like 'this is a step back', 'nothing new' or the likes i always had the urge to reply with 'but consistency is a new challenge for him?' but that sounds too confrontational and harsh so i just dont. err.

anyway, he pushed the sport so much already, upping tech content, breaking records, being such a complete skater etc, its not like that history is suddenly erased just because he choose to recycle programs lmao. i mean he won Sochi by recycling both of his programs too, you know. i dont think he was the one with the highest BV either since cmiiw i remember at least someone else in gpf 2013 attempted a 2 quad sp (but failed). 

also theres a reason the past 3 seasons is called The Road To Olympic. it seems yuzu and team understands this deeply n prepare for it far earlier than others. so it may seem like he's not doing much now simply because he's just... very prepared from long ago.

1 minute ago, Danibellerika said:

Hmm Brian hates the Tano. I wonder why... couldn't have anything at ALL to do with him losing to Brian Boitano or anything like that...:animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01:

:knc_brian3: What are you talking about? Of course it doesn't have anything to do with that, no no no. Of course not! You know, my bitter feelings are obviously nonexistent now...:knc_brian3: