General Yuzuru Chat

11 hours ago, xeyra said:

This is a question for the Japanese members here or those who understand and follow Japanese Twitter. I saw many mentions on Japanese Twitter about Yuzu's asthma since the 24h TV promo. I know this was the first time he mentioned he had asthma on TV; are the Japanese fans surprised or admiring his courage to talk about it or what was the general feeling? 

There are so many Japanese fans with different points of view, so it’s impossible to know how we generally took this news, but I saw many fans who are taking his decision seriously. The fact that he has asthma is no secret among fans, but he hasn’t talked about it so much in the past. This time he will do so to encourage others, like speed skater Hiroyasu Shimizu encouraged him when he was a kid. So it’s natural to respect his choice.

Here’s an article written by Shimizu in 2015. Someone might have already translated and shared somewhere, but it’s a good article so let me share a rough summery of first half where he wrote about when he met young Yuzu. :

After winning OGM in Nagano 1998, Shimizu went to Sendai to participate in an event. There was a boy who asked him for an autograph on his backpack. On the backpack there was an autograph by Plushenko, and after Shimizu finished writing his autograph the boy was happy saying “Now I have autographs of my two heroes”. The boy was Yuzuru Hanyu. Shimizu still remembers what his mother said to him. She said, “He has asthma. I heard you have asthma, too, but nevertheless you won the gold medal. Do you think he’ll be OK continuing figure skating?” Shimizu answered, “Yes, he’ll be alright. His lung is weak, so he has to keep working hard, but once he overcomes the challenge, he’ll be strong enough to compete internationally for having had worked harder than others”. Next time Shimizu met Yuzu, he had already won a OGM in Sochi. Shimizu said “Great job! You see? Didn’t I say you would be alright?” Yuzu looked surprised to hear that and said, “Do you remember me?”

1 minute ago, sweetwater said:

There are so many Japanese fans with different points of view, so it’s impossible to know how we generally took this news, but I saw many fans who are taking his decision seriously. The fact that he has asthma is no secret among fans, but he hasn’t talked about it so much in the past. This time he will do so to encourage others, like speed skater Hiroyasu Shimizu encouraged him when he was a kid. So it’s natural to respect his choice.

Here’s an article written by Shimizu in 2015. Someone might have already translated and shared somewhere, but it’s a good article so let me share a rough summery of first half where he wrote about when he met young Yuzu. :

After winning OGM in Nagano 1998, Shimizu went to Sendai to participate in an event. There was a boy who asked him for an autograph on his backpack. On the backpack there was an autograph by Plushenko, and after Shimizu finished writing his autograph the boy was happy saying “Now I have autographs of my two heroes”. The boy was Yuzuru Hanyu. Shimizu still remembers what his mother said to him. She said, “He has asthma. I heard you have asthma, too, but nevertheless you won the gold medal. Do you think he’ll be OK continuing figure skating?” Shimizu answered, “Yes, he’ll be alright. His lung is weak, so he has to keep working hard, but once he overcomes the challenge, he’ll be strong enough to compete internationally for having had worked harder than others”. Next time Shimizu met Yuzu, he had already won a OGM in Sochi. Shimizu said “Great job! You see? Didn’t I say you would be alright?” Yuzu looked surprised to hear that and said, “Do you remember me?”

:sadPooh: this is so sweet

18 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

:sadPooh:

26 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

:sadPooh:so Yuzu already got Plushenko’s autograph at 4...What were we doing at 4...:xD:and in order to get Yuzu’s autograph, we have to be  4 years old cute little girl I guess.:pbow:

• robin unpinned and featured this topic
1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

I am navigating in a sea of tears :dpooh:

Hey guys, you might already have noticed the new thread but I want to introduce it anyway. Since sometimes this thread gets very fast and hard to catch up we decided to make a thread to compile the most important updates. So when you wake up in the morning and the chat grew 20 pages and you really just want to know what happened, this thread will give you quick answers. And if you've been away for a month and are scared of  entering this thread you can get a summary of what happened while you were away. If while you are catching up you happen to come across a piece of news that makes you curious to know the discussion surrounding it you can just follow the link in the quotes into the depth of this thread. (I will only be quoting posts.) :smile: