General Yuzuru Chat

8 minutes ago, CupidsBow said:

Hahahaha the greatest 'manner hands' (as they are called in my current corner of the world)

I'm watching the gala video and looks like he was clutching the fabric when they were skating together lol. To do manner hands while pair skating is another level. Are you from Korea? I've often heard that term being used over there but it's interesting to see different terminology being used around the world :laughing:

36 minutes ago, kaerb said:

I'm watching the gala video and looks like he was clutching the fabric when they were skating together lol. To do manner hands while pair skating is another level. Are you from Korea? I've often heard that term being used over there but it's interesting to see different terminology being used around the world :laughing:

I live in Korea at the moment, yes, hahaha. I've been living here for a few years so some Korean phrases/words are going to stick with me XD

@Lyyli Sorry my written communication style gave you trouble. It's kinda messy, I'm aware. @kaerb basically put what I wanted to say in a perfectly legible, concise style. Wish I had that sort of talent......

I believe that Hanyu wants that ideal performance for himself first and foremost. You don't do the things he does and succeed at them as beautifully and as consistently as he does--that's like, what, an earth-shattering performance at least once per season since the 2011-2012 one?--if you are not essentially doing it for yourself. And what makes his successes all the sweeter is that it's usually a long treacherous road that leads up to each and every one of them, one where his fans get to travel with him, as opposed to only getting to see the polished-up finished product from season start to season finish. As much as us fans would appreciate clean skates, I think what we truly appreciate, at the end of the day, is the incredible journey he takes us through. This is what makes him so special, and sets him apart from other skaters--maybe other athletes, even.

This part is going to sound a bit cringey, even to me, but together with him, fans have experienced things from the lowest of the lows where our hearts break with him and for him, to the nailbiting suspense that lead to the figurative heart attacks and alcohol binging that we hear so many talk about,  to the most epic of highs where our exhilaration soars as high as when we experience something good  for ourselves. Whatever he feels, the audience feels as well. Of course, we don't feel it in the same degree as he does but it's enough. Hard to imagine what it's like for him, then, when it's already too much for us most of the time, lol.

So despite all the talks about him being an alien or being from another dimension, he is an athlete a lot of people actually find highly relatable, possibly even moreso than most other athletes, or at least skaters, which I feel is the real reason why he is so loved by so many. It certainly explains why his fanbase is as dedicated as it is, and the size that it is. It's not one the likes of any figure skater has ever had, I don't think. His fans don't just admire and respect him, they are invested heart and soul in him. Yes, he always seems immensely grateful to his fans for having his back, but the reason behind all the support that he gets the first place? He has no one but himself to thank for that, simply by being who he is. Had figure skating itself been a more major sport, I shudder to think what his fanbase would be like then.

I didn't mean that wanting success for individual ambition is a bad thing. It is, in fact, a very good thing and is actually the main motivation behind athletes wanting to strive for glory.  Wanting to do your country and the people you love proud is an individual ambition in and of itself. But focusing on that works better than focusing on the OGM, I feel,  because at the end of the day, as a goal, it is bigger and more all-encompassing, as it has the notion that you're not doing it only for yourself. The gold medal is but a symbol of all that and on its own, it doesn't encompass quite as much. Coupled with its tangibility, it serves as more of a distraction than a strong motivator. But that's just what I feel. You know what, though? We seem to be trying to make our own points here but I think we're actually on the same page about this.

As for Medvedeva, I don't know much about her but I don't want to believe that what she does is easy, even for her. After all, if it were so easy, she wouldn't be the only one doing it. And I mean across all the fields (i.e.:  tech content level that's on the higher end of the spectrum with a rock solid no-mistake consistency from season start to finish--in all the fields, she's the only competitor who's managed it, and for two consecutive seasons now). She's undeniably immensely talented, perhaps more than what the other ladies are showing at the moment. In being so, she makes what she does look easy, which, in turn, makes it easy to undermine what she does. But really, I don't think she's a robot. While it's great she seems to be able to have so much fun, I don't think it's all fun and games and lightheartedness, like how she seems to be presenting it. The extreme focus on her face at the start of her performances...that's not the face of someone who is purely doing it for fun and games. She may not exactly be pushing the envelope like what the top contenders in the men's field are doing, but she very likely has her own kind of unique drive. That's the only thing that explains how she's able to do what she does.

@Neenah I wouldn't be too upset or worried about naysayers and downplayers. Hanyu's proven time and again to be a deviant who thrives on those (which, imo, makes him one of the highest order--but in a good way). Anything and everything that usually downtrods an athlete (pressure, tough competition, nerves, haters, naysayers, etc.), seems to fuel him instead. The mistakes he makes strengthen all the doubts against him which adds to the difficulty--thus maximizing the high he and his fans feel when he overturns everything in one perfectly executed fell swoop. So I have zero doubt that he very likely gets a very intense kick out of proving all his dissenters wrong. The louder and more doubtful the dissent, the stronger his drive.  I truly think that,  deep down inside, he finds it all fun. Like his inner Yuzuru is probably all, "Orly? Well, me and mah homies (re: his team and his fans) think y'all wrong and Imma prove it to ya just to see that gobsmacked look on your faces again. But really, I've seen it so many times now it's kinda getting old...so this time Imma put something even more interesting there. You think all that I did before was something? Well, they're nothing. The best is yet to come, y'all. Stay tuned for that cos Imma show ya. Aite, time t'get t'work!" *rubs hands together gleefully but quickly stops to push back the horns he unintentionally revealed for a split second there* 

Lol. Please don't mind my imagination. Anywho, what I'm trying to say is, he's been doing this for so many years now that he's got it down to a fine art. Heck, it's probably even grown to become an addiction at this point. When he r****s, I imagine this would probably be one of the aspects of competitive skating he'll miss the most. From what I can tell, he seems the type. So let's not worry about all those things and instead sit back and enjoy the show. Win or lose, he's sure to put up a hell of one. ^__^

6 時間前, kaerb said:

tumblr_oswk4w30Tw1vm4kiwo1_540.jpg
https://fsyuzuruhanyu.tumblr.com/post/162845382599/that-one-time-yuzu-did-a-partner-dance-with

I've been laughing at this hover hand game for a day :xD:

As a japanese, I really know how he felt at that time. :joy:  It's pretty embarrassing to touch girl's body.  What's more, it's waist!

Of course now he's used to it as we see photos in banquet.

I was so surprised to see frequent and deep body touch between male and female in public although they are not steady when I came to Europe. Keeping the right distance with men is still most confortable and bowing is best to me.  interesting to see the difference of culture.

1 minute ago, katonice said:

Hahaha I guess it wanted a personal meeting since its cuteness was being overlooked.

Zapping the ice rink isn't the way to go about it however :shakehead:

It just overdid it by a tiny bit...