General Yuzuru Chat

On Yuzuru's English: I'd say he's maybe intermediate level since he has a fair grasp on sentence construction and a decent variety of vocabulary including technical terms within his field but also some beyond-the-basic words for general, everyday use. He does make some grammatical errors or lose a word or struggle to communicate exactly what he's thinking, so he is not fluent, but with some studying or things like watching tv with the purpose of developing his English, he could get there. His pronunciation is good though not always totally clear, clear enough that it's not a problem though. I do get the impression that the English he has is the English he's picked up through immersion more than actively studying. If he does study English, I'd hazard a guess that he maybe doesn't study often or particularly seriously and, of course, lapses to Japanese whenever he can (which is totally natural). His casual speaking skills are likely fine but, naturally, when stressed or tired or distracted he is more likely to make errors and he seems unconfident when speaking in public - which makes sense because his public speaking is usually to media where it's more important that his thoughts are communicated as accurately as possible. He does seem to have good listening skills though because he shows understanding for questions asked in English as press cons before the translator has even started and waits to answer out of courtesy. Since I don't think he studies much my guess is that his listening and speaking skills are far ahead of his writing and reading :P though you never know because most find writing easier than speaking.

I find people really exaggerate both his ability or lack of ability when it comes to English, thinking he's either more fluent than he lets on or completely unable to communicate. The truth is, I think, in the middle. His skills are fair and about as much as he needs to comfortably get through his daily life.

1 hour ago, CupidsBow said:

On Yuzuru's English: I'd say he's maybe intermediate level since he has a fair grasp on sentence construction and a decent variety of vocabulary including technical terms within his field but also some beyond-the-basic words for general, everyday use. He does make some grammatical errors or lose a word or struggle to communicate exactly what he's thinking, so he is not fluent, but with some studying or things like watching tv with the purpose of developing his English, he could get there. His pronunciation is good though not always totally clear, clear enough that it's not a problem though. I do get the impression that the English he has is the English he's picked up through immersion more than actively studying. If he does study English, I'd hazard a guess that he maybe doesn't study often or particularly seriously and, of course, lapses to Japanese whenever he can (which is totally natural). His casual speaking skills are likely fine but, naturally, when stressed or tired or distracted he is more likely to make errors and he seems unconfident when speaking in public - which makes sense because his public speaking is usually to media where it's more important that his thoughts are communicated as accurately as possible. He does seem to have good listening skills though because he shows understanding for questions asked in English as press cons before the translator has even started and waits to answer out of courtesy. Since I don't think he studies much my guess is that his listening and speaking skills are far ahead of his writing and reading :P though you never know because most find writing easier than speaking.

I find people really exaggerate both his ability or lack of ability when it comes to English, thinking he's either more fluent than he lets on or completely unable to communicate. The truth is, I think, in the middle. His skills are fair and about as much as he needs to comfortably get through his daily life.

It seems he doesn't need a translator whilst training in TCC, so I think he is content with his English skills right now. He probably wants to study it deeper, but doesn't find the time to.

(Or is too tired to after training). 

Translation of the Spin the Dream special feature done by Goto Taisuke and Asahi Digital.

Translated by: tsukihoshi14

Part 1

Hanyu is different from other Japanese skaters and isn’t embarrassed to express his emotions. He also has a good sense of balance and physical capability. “I thought that he is the skater of a new era at first sight”, Tsuzuki said this every time. “Become an artist”, “Spread your wings for the world to see”.

Part 2 - already translated previously but putting the link here for others who haven't read it.

6 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Hanyu is different from other Japanese skaters and isn’t embarrassed to express his emotions. He also has a good sense of balance and physical capability. “I thought that he is the skater of a new era at first sight”, Tsuzuki said this every time. “Become an artist”, “Spread your wings for the world to see”.

I'm crying :sadPooh:

9 hours ago, ruruzest said:

I watch this at least once a day and still feel amazed every single time! Isn’t this the first time Yuzu broke character during performance? I can’t imagine what went through his mind at that time after he was finished with those jumps in his current taped ankle situation!

Just as another fans have remarked,” Thank you Right Ankle for not moving after NHK so that Yuzu couldn’t risk more injury by skating thus have more time to recover for the big stage! Also thank you Ankle by holding it together in Pyeongchang! 

Best wishes for the new season Yuzu!

Where is this camera angle from? I've only seen that moment of Yuzu spreading his arms from the back, both in the OBS feed and the NBC feed. Can I get it without all the junk littering the screen?

39 minutes ago, Xen said:

Of the journalists and commentators, I'd rather invite Max Ambesi and Angelo. Their insights on Yuzu isn't quite so click-baitey. >_>

Angelo is pretty much off the Social Media as a whole, so I wouldn't know. Max was more active last year, lately I haven't been hearing from him much! I mean, he does posts on facebook about the performances he enjoyed more about certain events (posted about Italian Lucrezia Beccaria, Kostornaia, Sherbakova, Trusova, Grassl). He also recently made a post about Yuzuru's Open Media Day. I kinda miss him :embSwan: 

5 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Angelo is pretty much off the Social Media as a whole, so I wouldn't know. Max was more active last year, lately I haven't been hearing from him much! I mean, he does posts on facebook about the performances he enjoyed more about certain events (posted about Italian Lucrezia Beccaria, Kostornaia, Sherbakova, Trusova, Grassl). He also recently made a post about Yuzuru's Open Media Day. I kinda miss him :embSwan: 

I can't wait to hear Max scream, "Benvenuto sul pianeta Hanyu. Abitanti: uno! Solo lui!" while Angelo is making soft noises in the background.

My favorite moment of them is at worlds 2017 where Max asked Angelo to comment because he was too emotional to talk to end up interrupting Max with his glorious rant how the judges needed to give Yuzu 100 for his PCS. Ahh! I'd love for them to have the opportunity to interview Yuzu. I can't imagine all that chaotic energy :)

Edited because my frazzled brain switched the names :oops:

1 час назад, Murieleirum сказал:

Angelo is pretty much off the Social Media as a whole, so I wouldn't know....

...He also recently made a post about Yuzuru's Open Media Day. I kinda miss him :embSwan: 

Which one, Yuzu or Max? :coolio:

Have a nice week, everyone! 

26 minutes ago, Naonica said:

I can't wait to hear Angelo scream, "Benvenuto sul pianeta Hanyu. Abitanti: uno! Solo lui!" while Max is making soft noises in the background.

My favorite moment of them is at worlds 2017 where Angelo asked Max to comment because he was too emotional to talk to end up interrupting Max with his glorious rant how the judges needed to give Yuzu 100 for his PCS. Ahh! I'd love for them to have the opportunity to interview Yuzu. I can't imagine all that chaotic energy :)

You are switching them around! :knc_brian2: Max is the enthusiast screaming 'Planet Hanyu' inventor, Angelo is the soft cinnamon roll who says Yuzuru is the greatest skater ever whenever he gets the chance.