General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, Winnie_20 said:

Sometimes answers are also to be found less in the realm of the mystic and pretty straightforward: Hanyu won an OGM... and then kept skating.

That will get you a lot of fans, simply by being in the spotlight (especially since he then continued to win competitions).

and then he won another OGM. And apparently still continues skating competitions.

People tend to like that sort of thing. ;-)

If he had stopped skating competitions after his first OGM, public interest would be much, much less by now.

That contributes to his increasing number of fans. Personally, I'm wondering why I'm still a fan of Yuzu when other celebrities/athletes have "failed to keep me". I hope I wouldn't lose my interest in him even after he retires. I always become happy when I see some long-term fans of Yuzu.

Anyway, I've now decided not to think of reasons anymore. I love Yuzu because I love Yuzu. And I'll pass on my love for him to my future kids. :embSwan: 

38 minutes ago, Erin said:

I always become happy when I see some long-term fans of Yuzu.

Anyway, I've now decided not to think of reasons anymore. I love Yuzu because I love Yuzu. And I'll pass on my love for him to my future kids. :embSwan: 

Personally, I’ve followed his career since he won the JGPF in 2009, but really not sure when it went from general appreciation to ‘real’ fan (whatever that is).

However, having met a Japanese fan in The Hague earlier this year who had come all the way from Japan to support a junior skater she was fan of (someone who I had never heard of before, and whose name I still don’t see show up on JGP assignments, so not a big name in that sense)... that made me really realize there must have plenty of Yuzu fans who were already fans of his before his victory in the JGPF. That’s quite a time, some nine years already, if not longer! Wow, that is long-term!

I’m sure that’s normal in other sports like, say, Tennis or show jumping (! You can stay in the saddle for many decades with people to keep supporting you) but not in figure skating! (Although Plushy was around for quite a while, too, I guess, lol)

2 minutes ago, Winnie_20 said:

Personally, I’ve followed his career since he won the JGPF in 2009, but really not sure when it went from general appreciation to ‘real’ fan (whatever that is).

However, having met a Japanese fan in The Hague earlier this year who had come all the way from Japan to support a junior skater she was fan of (someone who I had never heard of before, and whose name I still don’t see show up on JGP assignments, so not a big name in that sense)... that made me really realize there must have plenty of Yuzu fans who were already fans of his before his victory in the JGPF. That’s quite a time, some nine years already, if not longer! Wow, that is long-term!

I’m sure that’s normal in other sports like, say, Tennis or show jumping (! You can stay in the saddle for many decades with people to keep supporting you) but not in figure skating!

WOW, since 2009! I so envy you and I'm so happy for you and Yuzu. I'm feeling this much happiness knowing you've been supporting Yuzu for so long, I can't imagine how happy Yuzu himself would be. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: 

1 hour ago, Erin said:

How nice! Whoever organized this event must have put a lot of thought and effort into it, getting so many people together and all. It must be fun to meet so many fellow fans from all walks of life. I read somewhere yesterday that the prizes were donated by participants, and they ended up with more prizes than then number of people there :D

3 minutes ago, PomeloPooh said:

How nice! Whoever organized this event must have put a lot of thought and effort into it, getting so many people together and all. It must be fun to meet so many fellow fans from all walks of life. I read somewhere yesterday that the prizes were donated by participants, and they ended up with more prizes than then number of people there :D

No matter what others say, fanyus are the best! :winky: 

2 hours ago, Winnie_20 said:

Sometimes answers are also to be found less in the realm of the mystic and pretty straightforward: Hanyu won an OGM... and then kept skating.

That will get you a lot of fans, simply by being in the spotlight (especially since he then continued to win competitions).

and then he won another OGM. And apparently still continues skating competitions.

People tend to like that sort of thing. ;-)

If he had stopped skating competitions after his first OGM, public interest would be much, much less by now.

That surely does contribute to his continued popularity but it doesn't explain why some fans fall for him at first sight nor why he is so very precious to all of us...

I watched figure skating occasionally since I was a kid, and for a while I actually watched men's competition, although I don't really remember much. I remember liking Yagudin over Plushenko and I'm pretty sure I liked Stephane, though mostly because he was hot. The skating never really did anything for me. I did become curious about FS again after I heard even my classmates in Japanese class hyping up Yuri on Ice, but even that, while cool, wasn't really anything that special, to me. When that curiosity combined with even my teacher being a Yuzu fan and incidentally finding out there would be a competition broadcasted on Eurosport, I watched. It was GPF 2016 and I remember seeing Shoma and Nathan first and thinking they were pretty cool. But then Yuzu came and the reaction was an instant: "This! This is what I wanted to see in men's figure skating!" He was everything I never even knew I wanted to see to really get into figure skating. Even with the mistakes then - or perhaps because of them - he was perfect.

Then finding out everything else just added to it. Now, there's something I don't usually like and that's people who are too good. Too perfect. At first, whenever I saw Yuzu interviews, everything he said was everything I expected him to say. Everything seemed so by the book it was borderline annoying. But in time I learned that's just who he is. And that it's all genuine. He's not just saying the things he knows people expect to hear. He actually means the things he says. And he also says a lot of other things.

By now I think one of his charms is that he seems so very perfect from so many points of view, yet he is also very real and very human. He's never hidden the human side. I can't imagine anyone could ever say he's a robot. He is human, he makes mistakes, he shows a lot of feeling, he's shown his weakness and he's been very honest and genuine about his not so great days and yet he is the one closest to perfection in figure skating and he is perfectly kind and polite and incredibly aware of everything and everyone and so very grounded, despite his quite sheltered life. He is both perfection and humanity in one and I think it's impossible not to be drawn to that.