General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, kiches said:

I'm like anierien, I knew as soon as Shoma fell on his quad loop that Yuzu had essentially cinched the gold. I have a habit of checking scores and calculating minimum scores during the competition to see what competitors need to take first. It was obvious Shoma would need near his personal best to try and take first place, and with one fall in the program at the top that wasn't going to be possible anymore. No lie, it immediately released all my tension while watching Shoma's skate and I was able to enjoy the rest of it much easier knowing right away who would be in first.

Well before Shoma skated on the jumbotron  they showed the score he'd need vs. his season's best (which was very close to his PB), so they made it easy.  On the 4K broadcast they showed Yuzu before Shoma skated in the greenroom and he did not look well (future me wanted to tell him it'd be okay, lol).  But after the fall it was pretty much a done deal to me.  I was just hoping he could stay on the podium at that point.  Javi, his landings were not the greatest but I didn't expect that to hurt his GOE much and thought maybe if clean they'd do some fudging to make it happen.  But when he doubled that Sal I knew it was done.  That reminds me I gotta remember to record all that 4k stuff before it expires this month...

41 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

Well before Shoma skated on the jumbotron  they showed the score he'd need vs. his season's best (which was very close to his PB), so they made it easy.  On the 4K broadcast they showed Yuzu before Shoma skated in the greenroom and he did not look well (future me wanted to tell him it'd be okay, lol).  But after the fall it was pretty much a done deal to me.  I was just hoping he could stay on the podium at that point.  Javi, his landings were not the greatest but I didn't expect that to hurt his GOE much and thought maybe if clean they'd do some fudging to make it happen.  But when he doubled that Sal I knew it was done.  That reminds me I gotta remember to record all that 4k stuff before it expires this month...

I gotta admit it's sort of a haze now, but did I calculate this prior to Shoma's skate mentally? I usually have the ISU real-time scores on my phone and check after each competitor in the last group what their score needs to be, but I honestly don't remember if I did the math myself. Also knew it was done deal with Javi on that doubled sal, I sort of expected he may not medal at that point. I also breathed a little easier after that.

Go record that 4k so we can share in the Charlie's commentary ;)  :dancingpooh:.

4 minutes ago, kiches said:

I gotta admit it's sort of a haze now, but did I calculate this prior to Shoma's skate mentally? I usually have the ISU real-time scores on my phone and check after each competitor in the last group what their score needs to be, but I honestly don't remember if I did the math myself. Also knew it was done deal with Javi on that doubled sal, I sort of expected he may not medal at that point. I also breathed a little easier after that.

Go record that 4k so we can share in the Charlie's commentary ;)  :dancingpooh:.

I knew about the score Shoma needed because the commentators mentioned it and I did know that he won't make it when he missed the 4L, but I still did not believe that Yuzu has actually won until I saw the final placements. Watching Javi and Shoma was such an intense experience because I was, for some reason, convinced that one of them (especially Shoma) will somehow surpass him :13877886:

21 minutes ago, Neenah said:

I knew about the score Shoma needed because the commentators mentioned it and I did know that he won't make it when he missed the 4L, but I still did not believe that Yuzu has actually won until I saw the final placements. Watching Javi and Shoma was such an intense experience because I was, for some reason, convinced that one of them (especially Shoma) will somehow surpass him :13877886:

The universe owed Yuzu what he was due. 

if5pw0.jpg

5 hours ago, liv said:

Guys, this is nothing compared to the spring/summer of 2016.... after leaving Boston there was virtually nothing for months... he was in his cave a loooooooong time.

Remember: good things come to those who wait.

I agree and disagree a bit cause pre Oly season after the injury for me were most stressful. 

I didn't 100% believe that Yuzu had won until after Shoma's marks. I mean, I thought he'd done enough to win with that big score... but I've watched skating since the 80s... and I've seen some crazy stuff happen at Olys... it's harder to make the crazy stuff happen with the points system, but I will always have that little bit of doubt ... I was afraid to believe he'd actually done it even though I knew that the fall on the loop by Shoma pretty much meant it was over...

1 hour ago, liv said:

I didn't 100% believe that Yuzu had won until after Shoma's marks. I mean, I thought he'd done enough to win with that big score... but I've watched skating since the 80s... and I've seen some crazy stuff happen at Olys... it's harder to make the crazy stuff happen with the points system, but I will always have that little bit of doubt ... I was afraid to believe he'd actually done it even though I knew that the fall on the loop by Shoma pretty much meant it was over...

I always make sure to see the scores before i actually jump and scream and cry from happiness, cause i never wanna jinx anything as my entire life whenever i was happy about smth earlier, than it was actually confirmed it alwasy ended up with me being sad, somehow, just like you said there have been crazy things goin on at competitions, so i made a rule not to be super excited before actually seeing the scores. 

40 minutes ago, nagini said:

I always make sure to see the scores before i actually jump and scream and cry from happiness, cause i never wanna jinx anything as my entire life whenever i was happy about smth earlier than it was actually confirmed it alwasy ended up with me being sad, somehow, just like you said there have been crazy things goin on at competitions, so i made a rule not to be super excited before actually seing the scores. 

Me too, I remember @Danibellerika and I held hands at rinkside as we waited for Shoma’s scores to be read because I didn’t need any funny business to happen. We were all pretty sure but confirmation before you celebrate is always best, can’t count your chickens before they hatch after all. 

I’d also say the months of silence after the NHK injury was the most nerve wracking for me because I always had a fear he would go injured and it would prevent him from competing at the Olympics, and it felt close to coming true. I don’t think those fears really left until we saw him touchdown in South Korea. 

9 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

I've been on two of these.  Before it drops you the machine has technical dificulties and it hovers over the top for several eternities for dramatic effect.   I can tell you with 100% confidence that the Olympics was scarier.  :dbana::dbana::dbana:

I fixed it for you :dpooh:

6 hours ago, kiches said:

I'm like anierien, I knew as soon as Shoma fell on his quad loop that Yuzu had essentially cinched the gold. I have a habit of checking scores and calculating minimum scores during the competition to see what competitors need to take first. It was obvious Shoma would need near his personal best to try and take first place, and with one fall in the program at the top that wasn't going to be possible anymore. No lie, it immediately released all my tension while watching Shoma's skate and I was able to enjoy the rest of it much easier knowing right away who would be in first.

Ditto!