General Yuzuru Chat

5 minutes ago, turquoiseblue said:

Another fireworks in Oga, Akita :tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg: Yuzu's Seimei, Alina's Don Quixote and her Masaru :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

I can't get over how utterly cool it must be to have fireworks not just in your honour, but designed in your image...

В 15.08.2018 в 02:39, Forcefield сказал:

I'm not a fan of longer hair on men, its just me. But there are exceptions...

Скрыть контент

So, like, Yuzu if your plan is to grow out your hair, I will tolerate you having long hair if you're finally doing a program as a sumurai god this season. Even a man bun or ponytail to get into character, go for it. Or even a ninja.

e3ca6f590f5d0ced9860607424b1e171.jpg

c669ddd9b77d5dea58877a11e42aa638.jpg

If I'll see Yuzu as character of Hakuoki one day I'll die on the spot:13877886: Just imagined Saito's or Toshi's murderous stare :10742290:

Some thoughts on a couple issues that have emerged in the last several pages -

First, the matter of records.  The ISU has officially retired the old scoring system, meaning the records Yuzu holds are now considered 'historical', meaning they're set in stone.  Nobody can break them.  Which means with a blank record book every winning score in the first competition is technically a record.  There's going to be a great deal of record-breaking in this first season so I would not take these new records too seriously unless there are those that are considerably above the second and third place scores.  My guess is that by season's end Yuzu will be back to owning the record book and everyone else will be skating for second place.  You have to remember that when Yuzu started acquiring his record scores, of the twelve records he set only one of those, and that very early on, was broken by someone other than Yuzu (Patrick back in 2013, and Yuzu reclaimed the record just weeks later).  Every other record Yuzu has set has been broken by Yuzu and when other skaters exceeded a Yuzu record it has only been after he'd already done that himself.  The other skaters were perpetually chasing Yuzu in the record book.  Expect much the same situation with the new scoring system, one which IMO is geared to actually favor Yuzu's style of skating more than the others.

Secondly, judge objectivity.  I think the judges this coming season are going to be very careful in their judging since with the new system they're going to be under increased scrutiny by fans and competitors alike.  They cannot afford to be seen as judging carelessly or judging with a bias.  Judging of Yuzu's judging will be particularly stringent.  Yuzu is right now the most high-profile skater on the planet and the spotlight is on the judges as much as on Yuzu when he skates.  Everyone has to remember that Yuzu is also the most bankable skater on the planet.  One can, indeed, talk of a Hanyu industry where there are magazines and books galore in praise of him and numerous other types of products bearing his name.  There are a lot of yen and dollars and pounds and Euros and innumerable other currencies that move around because of him.  His name fills the seats at competitions and ice shows, even going a good ways to filling them for official practices.  He is, in short, figure-skating's cash cow and you don't want to damage the brand.  The judges, thus, know they will be under the microscope when scoring Yuzu because he has some big money behind him and those with the big money are going to be watching them very closely.  We should keep this all in mind as we venture into the new season.

Finally, I am preparing myself for this season wondering exactly what I'll do after ACI and looking at that six weeks until his next competition.  The long silence will be just like it has been this summer.  It won't be quite as bad, though, since it's ONLY six weeks and the time can be spent by watching how his competitors fare in their competitions.  The thing is that the season for us will be then quite compressed, with Helsinki, Moscow and the GPF occurring within a span of just a few weeks.  That part of the season will go by very rapidly and shortly after that will be Japanese nationals where, presumably, Yuzu will take the crown back from Shoma.  After that will be 4CC and Worlds and then it's back to ice shows and wondering what the next season will bring.  There will also be the speculation after Worlds whether there will BE a next season for Yuzu.  That particular question will be very agonizing come next March.  Unlike Sochi Yuzu hasn't promised us (and perhaps even himself) whether he'll hang around for the next Olympics.  The end of each season is going to be a cliffhanger for us.  Prepare for it.

5 時間前, micaelisさんが言いました:

Secondly, judge objectivity.  I think the judges this coming season are going to be very careful in their judging since with the new system they're going to be under increased scrutiny by fans and competitors alike.  They cannot afford to be seen as judging carelessly or judging with a bias.  Judging of Yuzu's judging will be particularly stringent.  Yuzu is right now the most high-profile skater on the planet and the spotlight is on the judges as much as on Yuzu when he skates.  Everyone has to remember that Yuzu is also the most bankable skater on the planet.  One can, indeed, talk of a Hanyu industry where there are magazines and books galore in praise of him and numerous other types of products bearing his name.  There are a lot of yen and dollars and pounds and Euros and innumerable other currencies that move around because of him.  His name fills the seats at competitions and ice shows, even going a good ways to filling them for official practices.  He is, in short, figure-skating's cash cow and you don't want to damage the brand.  The judges, thus, know they will be under the microscope when scoring Yuzu because he has some big money behind him and those with the big money are going to be watching them very closely.  We should keep this all in mind as we venture into the new season.

Logically and ideally this should be the case. But the world is far from perfect and there are too many shadowy factors involved for things to play out this way. For if you have someone like Hanyu out there whose prowess on the ice practically holds most judges at gunpoint to get them to cough up the points, robbing them blind of them whenever he could, and if you have big Feds who have reps with a shitload of high-caliber firepower and little else and who don't want these reps to fall too far behind this smooth operating highway robber of a skater, and so want some of the loot distributed to their own trigger-happy skaters--regardless of whether or not they actually put in the work for said points--all existing within the same era, the scenario you imagined is a virtual impossibility.

ISU will likely continue caving in to demands of relevant parties and avoid addressing issues with the judging (by actively not doing the things that would help promote objectivity among judges) because they have their own interests to protect. This leads to manipulations such as those that artificially level the playing field to keep competitions competitive and as such interesting so people, especially casual viewers, will keep watching and fans will keep talking about it. Even if the subject is negative, like people getting exasperated and arguing against the unfairness, they are at least still talking about it, in which case their machinations would have served their purpose.

What you have up there is a nice dream, but reality is a mess. It always is. The sooner you accept that, the less disillusionment there'll be, the easier it is to simply enjoy the performances.

/my two cents

P/S: I would, of course, love nothing more than to be proven wrong about this but I wouldn't bet on it. Figure skating has been around for a long time and had always been a convoluted sport governed  by conservative types so it's not going to suddenly become all sunshine and roses. IJS and CoP were an enormous step in the right direction for them but it's still plagued  by old school sensibilities. Once the old guard has been switched out in its entirety, then maybe what you're saying up there might gradually come into fruition to a certain extent. But as things currently stand, it's still way too early for progress to come as far as what you illustrated.

6 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

People from regions of Japan that haven't hosted the photo exhibition are campaigning on Twitter for a nation-wide tour and so is this cat. :D

"I'm waiting for the Hanyu Yuzuru exhibition."

"I'm waiting for my Space Kitty Overlord's exhibition"

15 hours ago, Xen said:

You think it would end? 

Who knows? I'm going on the assumption that most sponsorship deals do end eventually. Although if Lotte wants to keep this up and start a TV series "Making Chocolate with Yuzu" after he retires, I'd be quite delighted.

4 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

ISU will likely continue caving in to demands of relevant parties and avoid addressing issues with the judging (by actively not doing the things that would help promote objectivity among judges) because they have their own interests to protect. 

They will, this is simply how things are. If we had a penny for every single wish we had when it comes to rectifying this mess, we'd all be billionaires by now. It's how skating functions, it's same old same old. But I would actually say it was worse in the 6.0 system. It's not fab now, but I would say it is better. 

Zu has somewhat of a protection zone around him, what with the double OGM now, knock on wood, repeatedly, so they can't completely mess with him. If he actually does bring out Nessie, then that'll really put the cat among the pigeons.
I cannot say that it doesn't make me sigh for some of the younger skaters coming up and I truly do feel for them, especially if we're talking smaller feds. But at least we'll talk about it and as long as we do, it's out in the open and we're poking the status quo.

11 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

They will, this is simply how things are. If we had a penny for every single wish we had when it comes to rectifying this mess, we'd all be billionaires by now. It's how skating functions, it's same old same old. But I would actually say it was worse in the 6.0 system. It's not fab now, but I would say it is better. 

Zu has somewhat of a protection zone around him, what with the double OGM now, knock on wood, repeatedly, so they can't completely mess with him. If he actually does bring out Nessie, then that'll really put the cat among the pigeons.
I cannot say that it doesn't make me sigh for some of the younger skaters coming up and I truly do feel for them, especially if we're talking smaller feds. But at least we'll talk about it and as long as we do, it's out in the open and we're poking the status quo.

What's annoying is that there's so much they could to make the technical scores more objective. PCS is never gonna be.

17 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

OMG, Yuzu, put. us. all. out. of. our. misery. already!:smiley_hairpull:

New... anything

I know you lurk!!!

It's driving everybody and their roommate grandmother crazy!!!

:madwife:

I saw a conspiracy Tweet that he's doing it on purpose to see how many more crazy hashtags people can come up with while we're stuck in this desert. :D