General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

I wonder what Lord Trollzuru is doing in his cave kingdom. Is he perfecting repeats? Is he getting the feel of a new rock programme? 

NOPE! NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE!!

Ladida I can't hear you~~!!! *sticks fingers in ears and sings off key* 

Just now, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Thing is, Japanese commentary is actually pretty objective by default (though they focus more on the positives than the negatives) but they're also pretty bland and lacking in personality because they prefer to stick to stating the obvious don't opine a whole lot. Like, to me, listening to them is about the same as watching the performance without commentary. >_<

Tbh this is why if I must watch with commentary, I'd go for the Japanese one. All they do is call out elements and list positions/variations and it's as boring as it get commentary wise, but also that's rly all the info any viewer(or at least I) need :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

I guess I just don't care about the commentators' opinions as harsh as that sounds, but personally I just want commentators to talk about skating in an objective manner. Some backstory abt the skater and commentary on the music would be nice, but not necessary. Idk, but personally if I want to know about opinions on the skate there's always Twitter and fs forums which provide a much more diverse perspective anyway :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:

14 分, Anonyさんが言いました:

Tbh this is why if I must watch with commentary, I'd go for the Japanese one. All they do is call out elements and list positions/variations and it's as boring as it get commentary wise, but also that's rly all the info any viewer(or at least I) need :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

I guess I just don't care about the commentators' opinions as harsh as that sounds, but personally I just want commentators to talk about skating in an objective manner. Some backstory abt the skater and commentary on the music would be nice, but not necessary. Idk, but personally if I want to know about opinions on the skate there's always Twitter and fs forums which provide a much more diverse perspective anyway :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:

Well if you put it that way, I guess I would rather take them over false sensationalism, deliberate misinformation (I can forgive honest mistakes though, even ones that are due to not doing homework) and shading for purposes that are less-than-ethical. They are, at the very least unobtrusive, so if they get too boring to pay attention to, they're easy to tune out so it'd be like watching without commentary.

I think it's not just that they don't opine, though, it's that their delivery is all very...bland and without much personality. They don't sound super enthusiastic or unethusiastic either way*. I think therein lies my...lacking enthusiasm for their brand of commentary.

* 'cept for Oda, I guess, but you'd be surprised. Despite his enthusiastic reactions he actually doesn't say a lot of substantial or interesting things when commentating...though I don't think it's due to a lack of flair from his part and more...him not wanting to deviate from the set formula?

22 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Thing is, Japanese commentary is actually pretty objective by default (though they focus more on the positives than the negatives) but they're also pretty bland and lacking in personality because they prefer to stick to stating the obvious and don't opine a whole lot. Which is good but there's almost a complete lack of it. Which isn't. Like, to me, listening to them is about the same as watching the performance without commentary. >_< The only one who sticks out is Minoru Sano. His commentating style sort of reminds me of Ambesi's. But everyone else I can think of is a huge bore, including Arakawa.

I think it's pretty useful because I still can't count rotations or notice as many mistakes, and it's additional info without being too much. And I think Nobu also points out if he thinks a jump is UR and if the judges will review or won't. I find it interesting how he is professional when commentating during the program and will only gush before or after the fact. I wish I understood Japanese so I can understand Sano.

6 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Well if you put it that way, I guess I would rather take them over false sensationalism, deliberate misinformation (I can forgive honest mistakes though, even ones that are due to not doing homework) and shading for purposes that are less-than-ethical. They are, at the very least unobtrusive, so if they get too boring to pay attention to, they're easy to tune out so it'd be like watching without commentary.

I think it's not just that they don't opine, though, it's that their delivery is all very...bland and without much personality. They don't sound super enthusiastic or unethusiastic either way*. I think therein lies my...lacking enthusiasm for their brand of commentary.

* 'cept for Oda, I guess, but you'd be surprised. Despite his enthusiastic reactions he actually doesn't say a lot of substantial or interesting things when commentating...though I don't think it's due to a lack of flair from his part and more...him not wanting to deviate from the set formula?

Yes agreed! I like Oda's commentary, aside from stating the elements he also stated how well the elements were done and how hard it is to achieve that type of quality. While I like Japanese commentary simplicity, I much prefer them to say more than "Subarashi engi misemashita" or "kimetta!!" every performance ^^;

17 分, Forcefieldさんが言いました:

I think it's pretty useful because I still can't count rotations or notice as many mistakes, and it's additional info without being too much. And I think Nobu also points out if he thinks a jump is UR and if the judges will review or won't. I find it interesting how he is professional when commentating during the program and will only gush before or after the fact. I wish I understood Japanese so I can understand Sano.

Oh yes, he does tack on some thoughtful comments whenever he can. Like even when it isn't positive, he's objective and tactful about it. He doesn't make it sound like it's the skater's fault or that they are a chronic offender (even if they were). So that's a +1 for him. :))

Sano gives a lot of helpful insight as well but in a more...authoritative manner? I guess? 

I don't think I've ever heard anything mean said about any skaters by Japanese commentators, or anything that's unfairly biased though admittedly, it's also not like I've watched a ton of skating that doesn't involve Hanyu and a few others I'm mildly invested in. But from what I can tell, the Japanese generally gives decent quality commentary at the very least.

10 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Yuzu and Pooh Gelati at Takashimaya Department Store in Fukuoka! I wonder what the flavours are.

ETA Tiramisu Chopin and Mango Pooh. 

:tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5::devilYuzu:

10 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

Why do I keep wanting to eat him. First that banana, now this.

:devilYuzu::devilYuzu::devilYuzu::devilYuzu::devilYuzu::devilYuzu::devilYuzu::devilYuzu:

9 hours ago, MrPudding said:

It’s definitely the peak of off season  :smiley-laughing021:

:notamused:

2 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I dunno...I find discussions of heavier, meatier topics like this far more engaging than the inane chatter and sometimes tooth-rotting fluff that happens a lot in here (nothing wrong with those, of course) especially during the truly "off" part of the off-season, like now. It balances things out. I don't find it a waste of pixels at all.

So thanks for sharing your opinion on the matter. The same goes to everyone else who donated their two cents. :) I find it interesting to see both sides of the argument and I think there are both truth and flaws on either side. The topic itself, however, isn't exactly one that weighs heavily on my mind so I don't have anything of my own to add, luckily for all of you, lol.

@Xen: Do-M? Really? And here I thought he veered far, faaaaar more towards the 'S' side of the spectrum...

leave my fluff alone >___>

Nah, in all seriousness, there's so much to discuss but since the general tone here is very light hearted, i think that sometimes it's hard to know how much is too much.

Please don't be afraid of starting serious discussions here, two different topics can definitely coexist in this thread. Off topic doesn't mean that it is deviating from the "current" conversation, but from the general "Yuzuru" theme. So yeah, meaningful discussions are welcome :P

And maybe it was a typo? I mean, Yuzu himself has proudly worn a shirt proclaiming his ドS personality...

@Hydroblade and @¯\_(ツ)_/¯:

My gods, I'm so sorry. It was a typo, I've gone back and corrected it. 

Our dear Do-S overlord, thy humble servant is truly sorry for getting thy titles wrong. Please forgive the mistake of this lowly one. 

On the issue of commentary, I'm not really sure how commentators can say so much during the actual skating. There's not that much time between elements, so I imagine the more interesting critique would be done during replay. But IMO, I think the video where Max and Angelo were talking about the jumps of say Aliev and Jin Boyang, that was the content that skating commentators should aim for. It was short, concise, educational and does help more normal casual viewers understand why certain skaters are considered stronger/weaker jumpers etc. But I can also see where this can become agenda-pushing, and in women's I'm not sure how it would work. 

Also, I think such commentaries could make more casual fans knowledgeable. That's a good thing- judges and even ISU would be pushed to be more transparent if the notion that even casual viewers may opine on whether something was judged correctly. To a degree, I think the tech panel is kind of under-utilized. If such short series such as that by Max and Angelo increase general knowledge, it might help push for more objectivity in some aspects of skating. I don't expect PCS to be more objective, there are just too many subjective factors and influences that would affect PCS scores. But TES-that one aspect (especially BV) that skaters should have the most control to determine their destiny. That is one that should have greater transparency. 

But hmm, if we ever do make our own commentaries, I would like to request that each time a quad is cleanly landed, we need to yell out "GOAAALLLL!"

4 hours ago, yuzuonice said:

... I wasn't the one making the edits, but if some members find it disrespectful i won't post them here anymore. It was all made in good fun and not out of disrespect.

I found nothing disrespectful in them, quite the contrary, they're hilarious. Do we need another Yuzu-is-not--a-god debate? Pictures like those add varied and without stuff like that the forum would be much poorer.

54 minutes ago, Xen said:

@Hydroblade and @¯\_(ツ)_/¯:

My gods, I'm so sorry. It was a typo, I've gone back and corrected it. 

Our dear Do-S overlord, thy humble servant is truly sorry for getting thy titles wrong. Please forgive the mistake of this lowly one. 

On the issue of commentary, I'm not really sure how commentators can say so much during the actual skating. There's not that much time between elements, so I imagine the more interesting critique would be done during replay. But IMO, I think the video where Max and Angelo were talking about the jumps of say Aliev and Jin Boyang, that was the content that skating commentators should aim for. It was short, concise, educational and does help more normal casual viewers understand why certain skaters are considered stronger/weaker jumpers etc. But I can also see where this can become agenda-pushing, and in women's I'm not sure how it would work. 

Also, I think such commentaries could make more casual fans knowledgeable. That's a good thing- judges and even ISU would be pushed to be more transparent if the notion that even casual viewers may opine on whether something was judged correctly. To a degree, I think the tech panel is kind of under-utilized. If such short series such as that by Max and Angelo increase general knowledge, it might help push for more objectivity in some aspects of skating. I don't expect PCS to be more objective, there are just too many subjective factors and influences that would affect PCS scores. But TES-that one aspect (especially BV) that skaters should have the most control to determine their destiny. That is one that should have greater transparency. 

But hmm, if we ever do make our own commentaries, I would like to request that each time a quad is cleanly landed, we need to yell out "GOAAALLLL!"

Max and Angelo are doing good with TES and it needs to be emulated, but I feel like PCS is not as hopeless and I hope a commentator goes for it, even though unfortunately they are most often always going to be called out for being biased even when they're not, but what's there to lose? A push towards transparency is worth it. For instance, that one guy that said Yuzu gets better PCS than Shoma because he is Olys champ is talking out of bias (and it doesn't even make sense), but if a commentator dives into PCS as five categories it's not so hard. For instance, point out that Patrick has better skating skills. Some fans of other skaters will say so and so's skating skills are not as bad, but for real maybe if someone knowledgeable in the field actually pointed it out about how great or medicore so and so's skating is it would stop being so subjective, there would actually be an understandable standard for 8's and 9's In SS. It's because not enough dives into it that theres too much subjectivity in PCS imo. Also, transitions in not only quantity but quality can be touched upon too, which Yuzu excells at. When you lump it all together and make a bold statement (like the same dude I talked about) that's what is the issue because people will equate the whole PCS with artistry.

Hace 4 horas, OonsieHui said:

I mean we have an entire meme thread that pokes loving fun at Yuzu for heaven's sake. (And it's a beautiful place!)

I didn't visit that thread, thanks God, and I won't do it for sure. 

So ISU has reset all records with the new scoring system, so currently Yuzuru is no longer the men's WR holder (it's Sota Yamamoto, actually; all current record holders are the Asian Open Challenger winners). Yuzuru's records, however, will remain unbroken as historical records prior to 2018-2019 in ISU's statistics site. 

https://www.isu.org/statistics