General Yuzuru Chat

I see you've moved on the topic of commentators, but i would still like to add something.

I've seen a lot of comments on YT regarding Hanretty's commentary. I didn't care about it but i did see some people who did and called out Hanretty. To be fair, Hanretty's comment was indeed misleading. If new fans heard it, they'll think Shoma's skating skills was better than Yuzu's and Yuzu only gets that high a score because of his rep being the Olympic champion. So i understand why people cared to correct him. 

Someone on Twitter told Hanretty that Japanese fanyus are mad at him or something and Hanretty replied something along the lines of "Japanese don't like me because i didn't gush enough about Hanyu". 

That's when i cared. I replied to him "it's not only the Japanese fans and it's not because you didn't gush about Hanyu. Fans are not that shallow. We don't care if you don't praise Yuzu, but at least comment responsibly" or something along those lines. I at least made sure to be polite about it. He deleted his tweet. 

Was what i said "attacking" him? I'm genuinely curious to know this boundary between attacking and criticising because i wouldn't want to be seen as a crazy fanyu. 

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

No. The actual general public (as in, the man or woman on the street who never watched skating) don't know even that much about figure skating, and even if they happen to watch a competition, they're such casual watchers that they won't retain what the commentators say. The people who watch once and take an interest and do remember the comments will watch more and sooner or later form their own opinions anyway, regardless of what the commentators say.

As regards Brian's comment, I saw that in an interview I watched on YouTube, I can't remember which one.  He says specifically that when Yuzu came to them in 2012, that he needed to work towards more consistent control of his skating. 

Bear in mind, you're attacking me right now as if I had said that I think Yuzu is inconsistent (which I don't, by the way). Instead, I was merely pointing out a specific instance where the comments that commentators make don't necessarily come out of nowhere.

Brian did say that Yuzu needed more control of his skating. He said that Yuzu came to him, full of talent and energy, but then he would just randomly fall on like, crossovers, because he had too much energy/not enough control. So they worked on his skating skills. 

Unfortunately, commentators are hired for entertainment value. Otherwise why would we have Tara and Johnny? We can demand better and have higher standards, like @Yatagarasu...but TBH I hate a lot of the media too but I can understand if there are more important battles especially regarding commentators calling a jump UR when it's not...especially if you watch other sport you realize it can be much worse haha (also NA media coverage leading up to the Olympics :smiley-angry022:)

2 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Brian did say that Yuzu needed more control of his skating. He said that Yuzu came to him, full of talent and energy, but then he would just randomly fall because he had too much energy/not enough control. So they worked on his skating skills. 

Unfortunately, commentators are hired for entertainment value. Otherwise why would we have Tara and Johnny? We can demand better and have higher standards, like @Yatagarasu...but TBH I hate a lot of the media too but I can understand if there are more important battles especially if you watch other sports and realize it can be much worse haha.

Same, this is where I stand. I don't really care to "fight it out", but there's a line where even I just have to, like the instance I've said before. 

10 minutes ago, Erin said:

Same, this is where I stand. I don't really care to "fight it out", but there's a line where even I just have to, like the instance I've said before. 

Oh, I totally agree with you, and I think after the Twitter incident Hanretty toned down the bias (or so I heard?)

In that case it was definitely a positive change.

Incompetence doesn't get me mad as much as deliberately misleading for your own personal gain (ie. Chris one of the other commentators is one of Shoma's part time coaches??) because that's just poor, poor journalism and ethics.

I was also wondering who else went under the scissors from TCC today, lol. It is transformational tuesday, after all. Jason looks great, Gabrielle's now colour looks cool... I have wanted Med to get her hair cut for a very long time..... she could pull off an Audrey Hepburn little short do, I think... it's cute to imagine a group visit to the salon for the day, lol!! Perm for Yuzu!!!:eek:

5 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

What this topic - as well as the previous one about bullying and even earlier about tabloids - made me think, though, is this: might it not be good for us to have, somewhere on the planet, a thread dedicated to busting 'urban myths' about Yuzu? A place to address the lies and misconceptions, with arguments. A place where confused or misguided fans can be pointed to, where they can find out the truth about all those things. I think, if done properly, it could be a great place for fans to find facts, instead of lies. And it'd be better than trying to argue with antis on twitter and so on.

Thank you very much for your inputs on bullying and fake tabloid stories.

In an ideal world where people share information and views freely without fear and with open mind, it is a great idea.  Unfortunately in reality people look at the same matter with preconception, bias and put their own spins, and agreeing on Yuzu related facts and lies may be hard.

When @Org (what I felt like) accused me of spreading fake rumors and demanded that I delete my comment/link, I was sad and scared.  I felt like being bullied into deleting my info.  I believe the poster had a good heart but a little misguided.  All I did was to share the info on the net and explained the stories being posted. And since bullying and hate are sensitive subjects I tried to bring the focus to the positive side and praised Yuzu for rising above petty hate and jealousy. 

Before signing up I read the forum guidelines and have been trying to follow them to keep this platform positive.  So I had no intention of opening a can of worms.  If I offended anyone I’m sorry.

In practicality, sorting out the rumors, truth, half truths and lies about Yuzu is difficult.  For one thing Yuzu, being a private person, the info on his personal life is guarded, and many times information obtained from the third parties can be difficult to verify. Also there are some anti Yuzu media reporting and TV reporting can be sometimes viewed as biased against Yuzu by many but not all, as evidenced by Kozuka comments.  Viewers’ interpretations and opinions differ.  So there may be never-ending, debate on which ones are authentic and which ones are speculations, and it may become emotionally charged  and out of control.  Some overzealous people may freak out and try to censor the info at the mere mention of it, just like what I experienced about my post.  Just as Yuzu said to his fans that we should only believe in what he said, and view anything else with a grain of salt, in my opinion.

Many Japanese fanyus are smart enough and spread the info among themselves such as the names of reporters, publishers, forums, and blogs that are anti Yuzu so that they can avoid them.  Many realize that to engage in direct wars against antis is a waste of time and energy as haters never listen to reasons.  One attempt to protect Yuzu from antis is for fanyus to spread positive tweets on Yuzu to drown out the antis tweets.  That’s one of the reasons why you see so many Yuzu related hashtags on twitter, I believe.

2 hours ago, Forcefield said:

I'm not a fan of longer hair on men, its just me. But there are exceptions...

Hide contents

So, like, Yuzu if your plan is to grow out your hair, I will tolerate you having long hair if you're finally doing a program as a sumurai god this season. Even a man bun or ponytail to get into character, go for it. Or even a ninja.

e3ca6f590f5d0ced9860607424b1e171.jpg

c669ddd9b77d5dea58877a11e42aa638.jpg

Oh! Now I wanna see Yuzu do Ruroni Kenshin! He'd be perfect! And the story would be perfect for him! 

1 hour ago, Erin said:

I see you've moved on the topic of commentators, but i would still like to add something.

I've seen a lot of comments on YT regarding Hanretty's commentary. I didn't care about it but i did see some people who did and called out Hanretty. To be fair, Hanretty's comment was indeed misleading. If new fans heard it, they'll think Shoma's skating skills was better than Yuzu's and Yuzu only gets that high a score because of his rep being the Olympic champion. So i understand why people cared to correct him. 

Someone on Twitter told Hanretty that Japanese fanyus are mad at him or something and Hanretty replied something along the lines of "Japanese don't like me because i didn't gush enough about Hanyu". 

That's when i cared. I replied to him "it's not only the Japanese fans and it's not because you didn't gush about Hanyu. Fans are not that shallow. We don't care if you don't praise Yuzu, but at least comment responsibly" or something along those lines. I at least made sure to be polite about it. He deleted his tweet. 

Was what i said "attacking" him? I'm genuinely curious to know this boundary between attacking and criticising because i wouldn't want to be seen as a crazy fanyu. 

This is one particular instance that I don't know much about, since my TV sports channels are TSN, CBC, and CTV. And sometimes NBC. 

Just looking at what you wrote, I wouldn't call your particular comment an attack, but I'm sure many of the comments directed at the commentator in this instance were attacks. 

Now I'm not going defend the CBC, because I happen to think that at least two of their female FS commentators are certified idiots. But I've seen them bashed online over really innocuous comments they made that didn't even have much to do with the skating at all, and frankly, it was ridiculous. 

Bottom line: sports commentary isn't rocket science, and a lot of the people that do it make mistakes, but I don't see the point in setting the bar too high in terms of what one expects of them, given what the nature of the job is. If they're outright lying to the public, that's one thing. But if they're just blabbing away trying to say something sort of related to the skating because that's why they're there, then they can and probably should be ignored. And even if they are biased ( I'm looking at you, American sports channels), in the long term, their words don't change the competition results one bit. So why waste the electrons and pixels it takes to complain about them.

13 minutes ago, Sammie said:

How much do you think this cost the fan? Or it could be a lot of fans combined. 

Haha, where is this? Somewhere in mainland China judging by the simplified Chinese.

Don't know if it was one fan or many, but it's certainly written like it's from a single fan. (It says "Yuzuru Hanyu, I love you" not "Yuzuru Hanyu, we love you.")

9 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

And even if they are biased ( I'm looking at you, American sports channels), in the long term, their words don't change the competition results one bit.

2002 Olympics comes to mind with the pairs scandal. That happened on US soil with US media backing. If the competition were in Russia the results might have stayed as they originally were. Once in a blue moon of course, but never say never!