General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I think that often the commentators don't have any better of a view of the skating than we have. They're not sitting down where the judges are...so depending on the vantage point they might not see everything well. Something to keep in mind when you don't agree with what they say...

They have the advantage of watching slow motion replays of jumps like we do while waiting for the scores, and if they made a mistake in real time, then they should correct it at that time. If they don't, they're not doing their job right.

6 hours ago, monchan said:

(Yuzu art at 1:28)

Apparently she only draw in that one particular style. I don't understand Art, I don't really get it how ppl pay HUNDRED THOUSANDS $$$ for these paintings :war:

Thanks so much for posting this - I adore the Hanyu painting, it's beautiful in my eyes and, not being an artist, I can only imagine how much skill is needed to get such an accurate portrayal of a person's appearance and essence by using a few strokes of a brush …… I wish it was hung on my wall!! (Imagine how much that will appreciate in value over time - that's why the rich buy art, as an investment - us, we just like to look at it!) (especially if it has anything to do with Yuzu!! :img_21:)

The Gallery video on youtube states:

Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac is delighted to present its first exhibition of works by Elizabeth Peyton with her show Eventyr. The exhibition draws its title from the old Norse word for fairytale or adventure. Through a group of portraits and still life scenes the artist addresses themes that have recurred throughout her career – including those of selfhood, passing time, and the condensation of emotion into faces, figures, gestures and objects. (hence why she chose Yuzuru as one of her subjects - I am sure this is the image she has used as her model:

R3bQ7Nn.png

how sweet is Javi !!! He always readily offered a shoulder for Yuzu no matter what the situation is ! Yuzu lost , he came to Javi and Javi comforted him ,” even though I won , you are always a champion in my heart ! “ Yuzu won , he still draped himself on Javi and cried for good measure ... it’s such a beautiful friendship . 

10 hours ago, monchan said:

(Yuzu art at 1:28)

Apparently she only draw in that one particular style. I don't understand Art, I don't really get it how ppl pay HUNDRED THOUSANDS $$$ for these paintings :war:

I'm part of the art world and always appreciate the subjectivity of this field, so it's ok not to understand. What I can tell you about Elizabeth Peyton style is that despite her "random" brush stroke, her detailing is amazing in capturing the expression of the person/feelings/atmosphere and that is a rare combination in an artist. One is either very detail or very abstract, rarely both. So when people buy these paintings paid Hundred thousands of dollars, they are actually paying the signature of an artist, no one can repeat the same brush stroke, or type of shading, or color mixing/blending... etc. When you buy that art piece and another art lover saw it, they can tell who painted it. Sometimes the paintings look ugly but people can see who is the artist behind the canvas :D 

Obviously I'm here because I got impatient waiting and just resort to the fate that Yuzuru might debut his programs at ACI to save travelling cost of the media... XD

12 hours ago, meoima said:

I understand that if in case they have no clear view should they voice out their possibly wrong statement?

Considering that they're doing it live in the moment and probably have a bunch of other things they have to pay attention to offscreen ( because making TV is like that) , they might not realize right away. All I'm saying is, it's pointless to expect a perfect call from the commentators every time. What matters is the judge's scores, not what the commentators say. 

Personally, I tune them out unless it's Kurt, and the only reason I listen to Kurt is because he knows a lot of the skaters as friends and has interesting anecdotes to tell about them. 

7 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

They have the advantage of watching slow motion replays of jumps like we do while waiting for the scores, and if they made a mistake in real time, then they should correct it at that time. If they don't, they're not doing their job right.

Sometimes they do, sometimes even in slo-mo they don't catch it. 

TBH, unless the commentators are being egregiously awful, in my opinion there's no reason to pay much attention to what they say at all. And they're not omnipotent skating gods or anything. They're ordinary human beings trying to do a sometimes tough job on the fly.  If they make a mistake, it's instantly broadcast to the entire audience, because it's live TV. And because it's live TV, something is happening every second so even if they are aware of a mistake, they don't always get to go back and fix it. This is why I find most commentator-bashing really offensive. They're working stiffs trying to do a job, for the most part they do ok at it, and nothing they say during a broadcast in any way affects the skater's scores, so if you don't like or agree with what they say, just ignore them. 

I totally disagree- they are indeed ‘ working stiffs’ and are being paid very well to do a job .  Half the time they get names wrong, do no research about even the top ten skaters never mind the rest, come up with wrong facts, cannot identify jumps etc etc.  It wouldn’t be tolerated in a football or cricketing commentator so why should FS fans have to put up with it?

14 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Sometimes they do, sometimes even in slo-mo they don't catch it. 

TBH, unless the commentators are being egregiously awful, in my opinion there's no reason to pay much attention to what they say at all. And they're not omnipotent skating gods or anything. They're ordinary human beings trying to do a sometimes tough job on the fly.  If they make a mistake, it's instantly broadcast to the entire audience, because it's live TV. And because it's live TV, something is happening every second so even if they are aware of a mistake, they don't always get to go back and fix it. This is why I find most commentator-bashing really offensive. They're working stiffs trying to do a job, for the most part they do ok at it, and nothing they say during a broadcast in any way affects the skater's scores, so if you don't like or agree with what they say, just ignore them. 

I disagree. For something like the Olympics, especially, where casual viewers tune in, the commentators' words are what they hear and they consider to be knowledgeable opinions. In this particular instance, obviously that particular opinion - that combo, with a slightly UR 4T that was not UR enough to be called UR - has persisted. The combo in the SP was replayed on live TV, in slow motion, and there's absolutely no reason why if they called it wrong in real time, they couldn't have corrected it then. They are doing a tough job but one of the few jobs where you have to do it on the fly and yet they do get the chance to make certain corrections, at least on the big elements. Their opinions might not affect the score, but a lot of people's jobs at a figure skating event don't affect skaters' scores. That doesn't mean they can't be expected to do their jobs well or that they have no effect at all.