General Yuzuru Chat

8 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

My first thought about ^^ that is gloves Yuzuru, gloves :68468287: 

I know, right? Dude won't hit the ice without them but fearlessly plunges his bare hands into hot soapy dishwater...

Now I want a dishwasher Yuzu in an apron for my kitchen...

imagine a full line of Yuzu household appliances. Or a Yuzu housekeeping robot. Every aunty's dream!! 

This discussion of bullying brings some painful memories back to me of when I was in elementary school.  There was this one fellow in the class who used to bully and taunt me (I wasn't the only one receiving that treatment from but I was the one he most often went after).  Generally nobody took him on since it was known that his dad was with the Mafia, though not high up in it (this was 1950s suburban Chicago).  Finally one day while walking home from school he grabbed my school satchel and I just lost it.  I grabbed it back and then twirled, holding it and using it I knocked him to the ground and the next thing he knew I was a astride him pummeling him with my fists and all the while crying like a baby because I hated being so angry.  There was a teacher driving by right then and she saw what was going on and stopped to pull us apart.  I don't know if he received any disciplinary action but nothing happened to me as it was known he was a bully and I was by far the smartest student in my class so my version of the event was the official version adopted.  As far as how his dad dealt with it I have no notion but I do know that the kid never bothered me again.

The point I'd like to make, and this relates to Yuzu, is that frequently those who succeed well in things (I was at the head of my class, Yuzu was pursuing a successful competitive career even while still in elementary school) there are those who pick on them, I imagine primarily out of jealousy.  I have a feeling however once he was doing so well on the junior level and almost certainly after he won the junior world championship, when there were then reports on his success on television and in the newspapers, that he became untouchable.  Anyone who took him on knew that they would be automatically blamed.  In fact I have a feeling at that point he wasn't dealing with bullies but people who were trying to be friends with him because he was famous.  Success does bring its own problems.  Super-success like he has now brings yet further problems and those relate to security.  The brighter and more intense the spotlight the more attractive the target.  Fortunately Yuzu seems to be coping with being an iconic living legend and one of the most remarkable things I have observed about him is how he doesn't seem to let all that stuff affect him.  He's still the smiling, cheerful fellow today as he was back when he was a kid in junior high talking about how he planned to go after the gold at Sochi.

6 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Thank you for translating! Now I naturally wonder about the source for this lol

This is the thread that the user was referring to. She posted the same translation on Weibo. According to the original twitter user, the newspaper source it was based on is from 河北新报 (Kahoku Shimpo), a newspaper from Sendai, four years ago

This is the original newspaper clipping, on the topic of practicing until 4am, and the standing up for the classmate.

On the topic of school bullying, I can't remember the source but I swear I read somewhere that Yuzu did get some rude behaviour from other students particularly after he had done well in a big competition (maybe JGP?). Something about how he got asked for autographs from fellow students, but one of the students who (out of jealousy?) threw his autograph in the bin after having asked for it. 

Am I making this all up or has anyone else heard/read something similar? 

45 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

On the topic of school bullying, I can't remember the source but I swear I read somewhere that Yuzu did get some rude behaviour from other students particularly after he had done well in a big competition (maybe JGP?). Something about how he got asked for autographs from fellow students, but one of the students who (out of jealousy?) threw his autograph in the bin after having asked for it. 

Am I making this all up or has anyone else heard/read something similar? 

It was in a youtube video called "olympic gold medialist becomes a living meme"

1 hour ago, Yoa said:

It was in a youtube video called "olympic gold medialist becomes a living meme"

It was posted before.  There are some incidents of Yuzu being bullied at high school.

https://matome.naver.jp/odai/2151921619502280401

The one on YT is this episode.

Soon after he won the world junior championship in 2010 he entered Tohoku High School.  He was seated right by the door and during the recess he was asked for his autograph by the classmates and other students including his seniors.  To everyone he was willing to give his autograph.  One day he was asked for his autograph by a senior student who was a member of the baseball team which was strong enough to compete every year at national high school baseball championship.  After signing, he heard a loud banging noise.  From behind he heard the guy jeering at him “Don’t get cocky!” and he saw the book he had just autographed thrown into a trash can.

You can see another incident of bullying against Yuzu by the photos on the same web page above.

These photos posted by the bully herself show his classroom chair covered and soiled with fried noodles and a lunch box.  This girl even shows her face (covered in red now) mockingly saying “Tada!  This is the seat of the world famous Hanyu.”

Also, in his high school days twitter hate comments against Yuzu by bullies were shamefully hateful, and the screenshots of these still remain on the net (perhaps saved by some concerned people.)

There are always bullies and haters because of jealousy.  I feel to some extent because he was bullied and still is the target of antis (sadly),Yuzu is very much being supportive, caring and respectful to other skaters.  You can see how he was taking care of Shoma and feel his warmth.  He knows how painful to be at the receiving end.  He does not have a mean bone in his body.  He is genuinely kind and sweet. 

1 hour ago, Rainbow said:

It was posted before.  There are some incidents of Yuzu being bullied at high school.

https://matome.naver.jp/odai/2151921619502280401

The one on YT is this episode.

Soon after he won the world junior championship in 2010 he entered Tohoku High School.  He was seated right by the door and during the recess he was asked for his autograph by the classmates and other students including his seniors.  To everyone he was willing to give his autograph.  One day he was asked for his autograph by a senior student who was a member of the baseball team which was strong enough to compete every year at national high school baseball championship.  After signing, he heard a loud banging noise.  From behind he heard the guy jeering at him “Don’t get cocky!” and he saw the book he had just autographed thrown into a trash can.

You can see another incident of bullying against Yuzu by the photos on the same web page above.

These photos posted by the bully herself show his classroom chair covered and soiled with fried noodles and a lunch box.  This girl even shows her face (covered in red now) mockingly saying “Tada!  This is the seat of the world famous Hanyu.”

Also, in his high school days twitter hate comments against Yuzu by bullies were shamefully hateful, and the screenshots of these still remain on the net (perhaps saved by some concerned people.)

There are always bullies and haters because of jealousy.  I feel to some extent because he was bullied and still is the target of antis (sadly),Yuzu is very much being supportive, caring and respectful to other skaters.  You can see how he was taking care of Shoma and feel his warmth.  He knows how painful to be at the receiving end.  He does not have a mean bone in his body.  He is genuinely kind and sweet. 

Thank you very much for sharing! I now remember hearing the autograph story before, but not the rest. It's really sad, but in a way not surprising. I'm happy he spent most of his last year of high school in Toronto, in a much warmer and more welcoming atmosphere... (I wonder if this might explain some his not going out and focusing 100% on skating... if at home he had little choice but to do so... I do hope the bullies were a minority, though...)

11 minutes ago, sun1985 said:

I saw the bully pic before but remember some posts said it was made up. Something like yuzu was not in Japan/school at that time. But  I've no idea what the truth is.  

They could have done it while he wasn't there and taken a picture before cleaning it up, but as it was clearly directed at him, it's still bullying, even if he wasn't there. (In a way, it'd be even worse if he was at some competition and saw it...)

8 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

They could have done it while he wasn't there and taken a picture before cleaning it up, but as it was clearly directed at him, it's still bullying, even if he wasn't there. (In a way, it'd be even worse if he was at some competition and saw it...)

Even if the photo was taken while he was not in the classroom, still it is cyber bullying, which is becoming a big social issue in many countries.  Actually the abundant online hate comments by antis against Yuzu still continues, which sadly tormented him.  According to the web page cited in my post Yuzu was not only an outstanding athlete but also a smart student with all-5 (in Japan 5 being the maximum in academic grading) in his middle high school and high school days.  Also with his warm and outgoing personality he became very popular at high school as soon as he started his academic year.  That's why he was bullied out of jealousy.  Some people become bitter or withdrawn after being bullied.  Some even become bullies themselves.  But instead he became a better person and better athlete.  He himself became part of the anti bullying campaign by pausing for the anti bullying campaign poster.