General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

I think had Javi been Yuzu's main rival without Nathan and Shoma, the tension would have been worse. But Yuzu had other rivals to worry about so I'm guessing their tension wasn't as great as between say Zagitova and Zhenya. 

Actually, I read a translation of Ao Honoo (? spelling) where Yuzu said that he went to TCC determined to be super-competitive with Javi every single day in practice and be fierce rivals, but that Javi was so kind and gentle with him from the very start that he simply couldn't keep it up and they became friends encouraging each other instead. In my opinion that says everything you need to know about  how things will be now that Javi's retired. In short, people can speculate but there will be no replacing Javi.

8 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying what he does isn't competitive. It's hella competitive. He's hella competitive.  Like probably more than everyone else out there across all fields, male and female, put together. But I'm saying it's not just competitiveness that he's driven by because if it's just that, I wouldn't have become a fan. He is quite insufferably competitive, in fact, but you root for him still because he also does it in a way that doesn't belittle others just to prove he's the man. Like, just because he won doesn't mean others are losers. As in, I don't get the feeling that he wants to prove he's the best just for the sake of being the best. I think he's doing it to prove he is the best because he is right. Not that others are wrong. Just that he isn't wrong. And he got maybe a few more things right than others seeing the results he's gotten. And that if others thought a bit more in the same way, maybe they too, could achieve more. Like even if we don't like competing with others, we all do still end up competing with ourselves at various points and it's important that we don't lose when that happens. And even if we did we shouldn't give up trying to win. That sorta thing.

Anywho, I'm just stating why I personally find him inspiring, despite being the sort to shy away from competitive types. Not saying my words are gospel or anything. ^^;

I think what's so inspiring, and just so goshdarn nice about Yuzu's competitive spirit is that he doesn't just want to winr, he wants everyone else in the competition to do their best and be at the top of their form, too, so that when he wins, he's not just the best, but the best of the best. This is why he seems so genuine towards his competitors - he wants everyone else to be great too. Ever see how he reacts when a competition goes awry for the other competitors? Even if he wins it, he makes it clear that it's not his ideal situation. Case in point, his Sochi medal and his reaction to how that competition went.

Yuzu is the guy who you can't hate because he even though he's so great you'll never match him, he still needs ands wants you to be great beside him.

under spoiler because it's from pages ago

Spoiler

13 hours ago, micaelis said:

I've been thinking about this issue for some time, trying to get a handle on it.  Finally I think I'm ready.  The subject - a successor to Javi in terms of relating to Yuzu at TCC.  I know a while back there was a lot of speculation about what effect Javi's departure would have on Yuzu as he trains at TCC.  The relationship those two built up over the years as both of them trained for greatness and succeeded (Yuzu's the greater greatness but Javi's hardly to be dismissed, after all six straight European Championships plus two World championships is no small matter).  For a while it seemed Boyang might have moved into that position, not precisely the same but something analogous.  That didn't pan out when either Boyang or the Chinese skating authorities decided to yank him back to Beijing (or wherever he trains in China).  In terms of those currently at TCC I think we can rule out Zhenya for obvious reasons and Jason Brown also because he could never be seen as a competitive rival for Yuzu even though in one respect they are very close together as Yuzu was born just eight days before Jason was (a bit of trivia for all of you out there). 

Actually I've been thinking that it'll be necessary to think outside the box to answer the question and in doing so I think it's Stephen Gogolev who'll occupy Javi's place (I know a lot of you are saying 'No way', but like I said I'm thinking outside the box here).  First thing to take into account - Yuzu and Stephen arrived at TCC at almost the same time, which means they've had a long time to get to know each other.  Admittedly at first the two would not have been in the same training classes.  Yuzu is ten years older than Stephen (both with birthdays in December - 1994 and 2004) and Stephen was just beginning his serious training while Yuzu was skating senior level and already had a bronze medal from Worlds in his pocket.  Yuzu was not seen as the living legend he would become back in 2012 but he was definitely one to be watched.  There acquaintance would not have been great at the beginning due both to the age difference and the skill  difference, but as the years passed it became increasingly apparent to Brian that in Stephen he had himself a prodigy much like Yuzu was.  I'm not sure exactly when but it has to have happened at least going into the last season but likely the season before even the one yet further before, but there came a point when Brian realized that Stephen needed a more challenging environment.  He was winning everything in sight on the pre-novice and novice levels and the his contemporaries at TCC did not come remotely close to Stephen's talent and progress.  So Brian moved Stephen up to skating with the advanced skaters.  Brian has indicated in interviews that he had Stephen training with the mature skaters at least through last season although I would think he made the switch even before that, probably when Stephen's aerodynamic skills were so outstripping the others in his class that Brian had to remove him in order not to discourage his training-mates. 

However it transpired there came a point where Stephen was right there next to Javi and Yuzu when working on his skills.  I know from another interview that Javi became sort of a mentor for Stephen.

micaelis, you've said your opinion on this at least 10 different times in various threads on here, and people either don't seem to be interested in discussing this topic, or disagree with you. Many users have also expressed their unease with implying that Javi needs to be replaced by someone in order for Yuzu to continue being competitive and motivated. I personally find it disrespectful to Yuzu as an athlete if I'm honest. 

And as much as I too am excited for Gogolev and what he can bring to the table, I really don't think you constantly bringing him up in a thread dedicated to Yuzu is relevant. 

I hope I'm not overstepping anything here, I just found your recent posts overly repetitive.

6 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Then you did well cos you made me explain and now hopefully no one would get it wrong ^__^. Good thing you did, too, cos I hadn't thought of all that when cracked that joke -.-;;

Seriously...I just realized how many everyday expressions that we use are so...uncouth as to be borderline sekuhara. But censoring myself didn't feel right either cos it wouldn't be me talking, since these are expressions people I interact with use on a daily basis, and which I use in return. Either way, I'm sorry for my lack of culture. And those of the people I associate with.

Sorry this may be OT but I need to post.

No worries mate! I do get your more natural English expressions and really appreciate the jokes. No you don't need to be sorry for being true to your own background. But internet is a very powerful thing and writing & reading languages that are not your first language sometimes creates misunderstanding and that could lead to unnecessary arguments or unpleasant experiences. I know people from different parts of the world reacts differently to the same joke. So I just wanted to make sure Yuzu did not swear or anything. It is difficult for me sometimes to know the extent of a certain word meaning as English is not my first language so some of my wordings could get me in a deep pit...

And trust me, I can swear in Japanese like yakuza if I'm really p*ssed off as I know exactly what kind of effect the word could have but I choose not to swear in English as somehow I feel it is "borrowed" word when I use such language. I guess English swear words are not wired to my emotions in the brain that's why I'm hesitant to use as a reaction because it is a response (think & say) rather than a reaction (connected directly to a feeling) ...if you know what I mean? People swear because that is a part of natural reaction but for me in English, it is not natural as I have learned them without the actual feeling directly connected to the words.

6 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Or it could look like him but also like Mr. Potato Head, like this pic (not a drawing) here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/letsgocrazysp/status/1027117474481889280?s=19

His face...I just couldn't stop laughing (sorry Yuzu) but everything about him brings me so much happiness. I'm just a Yuzu addict so forgive me if I'm having too much fun with the hashtag!! :68468287:

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I think what's so inspiring, and just so goshdarn nice about Yuzu's competitive spirit is that he doesn't just want to winr, he wants everyone else in the competition to do their best and be at the top of their form, too, so that when he wins, he's not just the best, but the best of the best. This is why he seems so genuine towards his competitors - he wants everyone else to be great too. Ever see how he reacts when a competition goes awry for the other competitors? Even if he wins it, he makes it clear that it's not his ideal situation. Case in point, his Sochi medal and his reaction to how that competition went.

Yuzu is the guy who you can't hate because he even though he's so great you'll never match him, he still needs ands wants you to be great beside him.

I totally agree. I believe what Yuzu loves the most is competing among the people who also try to be the best of themselves. By becoming the best of their absolute best, and if Yuzu still wins over everyone, that is the ultimate confirmation of what he believes - by becoming the best of himself, it brings out the best of everyone. He loves figure skating so much and what he wants more than anything else is for people to love the sport as much as he does. Everything he does comes from the love for skating.

55 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I love Yuzu's sportsmanship. I've noticed in a lot of medal ceremonies he angles his body towards the silver and bronze medalists when they receive their medals and he always claps for them. He's never unkind when he doesn't get first place, only regretful towards his own actions, which speaks volumes about him as an athelete and person.

I honestly do feel that if the rest of the world could be a bit more like him in attitude, this world would be an amazingly peaceful and happy place. Imagine everyone striving  to be their best, together, and happy for each other that we're all trying to do it. 

^ I was about to post but don't know where to put those pic. I guess media day would be next week (14 or 16) since jgp will begin from 22/8. Or else its gonna be first week of Sept.  Brian tag quicktrip so it might be a training camp or some Beijing 2022 meeting (?)  

43 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Ok, I'm not sure what is going to happen in Beijing or when, but I guess this means we can relax and be sure there will be no media day until next week at the earliest...

They're trying to fool us.

In reality they are going to China to bring Yuzu back from his "ninja" trip because his friend Spidey didn't come to his dinner party so he went to get him:tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5:

I need the media day

55 minutes ago, Katt said:

^ I was about to post but don't know where to put those pic. I guess media day would be next week (14 or 16) since jgp will begin from 22/8. Or else its gonna be first week of Sept.  Brian tag quicktrip so it might be a training camp or some Beijing 2022 meeting (?)  

Maybe it’s possible they’ll do a quick pit stop in Japan after if Yuzu is doing a media day at Ice Rink Sendai? Although I’m assuming he’s still in Canada right now. 

31 minutes ago, kiches said:

Maybe it’s possible they’ll do a quick pit stop in Japan after if Yuzu is doing a media day at Ice Rink Sendai? Although I’m assuming he’s still in Canada right now. 

I doubt it but given how this off season goes, I won't rule out that possibility either :laughing: