General Yuzuru Chat

15 分, TallyTさんが言いました:

Mao is lovely, but she does have an extremely smooth, even placid face.  Yuzu may seem that way when 'in repose' but actually he does have an extremely mobile face on which which all of his character sparkles on and off like lightning, and which can look wildly different depending on, well, pretty much everything going on in his head.  Going from my own visits to (admittedly not very many) wax museums, people with 'character-full' faces do, I think, tend to be harder to get right...

Good point about Mao. I think maybe my problem isn't with that they didn't manage to capture him because, like you said, people with wildly animated features like him are probably never going to lend themselves well to being replicated. But they didn't have to make him creepy................unless he's never going to not be creepy-looking replicated. Especially with that pose. I think maybe the one they chose, even if famous, probably wasnt the right one to preserve Hanyu's likeness in that form. If they were to ever replace it or add another, I'd pick him in one of his mid-LB IB poses. Preferably the HyK one. I think that one may work.

I thought those heavily edited photos of him during his parade by Nahyu kind of make him look wax-like, but in a non-creepy way. Couldn't they have made him look like that? It'd at least look like him...but then again, it's probably that PW ending pose and his expression that went along with it. Still think they'd f*ck his likeness up again tho so let's hope they don't try again.

27 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

I think had Javi been Yuzu's main rival without Nathan and Shoma, the tension would have been worse. But Yuzu had other rivals to worry about so I'm guessing their tension wasn't as great as between say Zagitova and Zhenya. 

But isn't it generally accepted that Alina and Evgenia are actually friends, too? The issues there seemed to be more Eteri apparently favoring Alina, than their rivalry. I think. I don't actually know much about that, this is just my impression based on what I've seen around.

Truth is, although I wasn't happy when Javi said it, I do think the rivalry was tougher on Yuzu at times (and so it would sometimes affect their friendship), because he's just that competitive and he hates losing, even to Javi. He probably hates losing to Javi a bit less than he hates losing to others, but he still hates it. So it could be that it helped that it wasn't just Javi. However, you can be sure that unlike the rest of the world Yuzu never wrote Javi off. He knew better than anyone else what Javi could do and I wouldn't be surprised if Yuzu thinks Javi should have gotten silver, although he'd probably never say it publicly. He and Javi had the best experience with that kind of pressure, plus the skills. He also knew that although he had an extra quad, his physical condition was questionable, so while a clean program would definitely put him above Javi, any big mistake could lead to a loss. So I'm quite sure Yuzu never thought Nathan or Shoma were his main rivals and Javi an underdog. I think he assessed all of them just as seriously.

ETA:

17 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Good point about Mao. I think maybe my problem isn't with that they didn't manage to capture him because, like you said, people with wildly animated features like him are probably never going to lend themselves well to being replicated. But they didn't have to make him creepy................unless he's never going to not be creepy-looking replicated. Especially with that pose. I think maybe the one they chose, even if famous, probably wasnt the right one to preserve Hanyu's likeness in that form. If they were to ever replace it or add another, I'd pick him in one of his mid-LB IB poses. Preferably the HyK one. I think that one may work.

I remember looking at it and from some angles I could see where they were coming from and it did look like he does sometimes from those angles, but overall, yeah, it's just... no. They could have tried the murder face... Or maybe they'll eventually make another one, with him jumping a 4A lol More seriously, I would love that moment at the end of Chopin at Olys, where he looks all fierce after the ending pose... They'd probably be better off doing that based on pictures, though...

18 分, KatjaTheraさんが言いました:

I remember looking at it and from some angles I could see where they were coming from and it did look like he does sometimes from those angles, but overall, yeah, it's just... no. They could have tried the murder face... Or maybe they'll eventually make another one, with him jumping a 4A lol More seriously, I would love that moment at the end of Chopin at Olys, where he looks all fierce after the ending pose... They'd probably be better off doing that based on pictures, though...

If they're taking votes, mine goes to LGC when he did that high kick right after coming out of his 3A. Or the one where he slid on his knees. I'd vote for NS as well but I have a bad feeling they'll mess that one up.

Who knows, maybe they'll do one of him in training gear, unzipping that training jacket with the collar in his mouth. The Japanese seem to like that a lot....

But chances are, if they ever make another (which I really hope they won't) it'll probably be him in his SEIMEI gear and his starting pose for that program, which might work...or even if it doesn't, it'll probably still end up better looking than the one on display right now...

Nathan and Shoma are relative newcomers - in the beginning it was Patrick Chan, and to a lesser extent because of his injury, Takahashi, plus the likes of Kovtun and Machida, that were the external rivals.  I’m sure that over the years Yuzuru has assessed all of them quite accurately- he knew at Sochi that new skaters would emerge by PC, and laid his plans for new jumps etc accordingly.  It’s the greatest pity that he was derailed by injury but who knows? If he had totally dominated throughout those years he might be moving on to new challenges now instead of continuing.

It’s a great sporting friendship, far preferable to the unpleasant Pluschenko/Yagudin feud,  and it seems to have encouraged a friendly rivalry ethos in those younger than them which is nice to see.  

7 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Nathan and Shoma are relative newcomers - in the beginning it was Patrick Chan, and to a lesser extent because of his injury, Takahashi, plus the likes of Kovtun and Machida, that were the external rivals.  I’m sure that over the years Yuzuru has assessed all of them quite accurately- he knew at Sochi that new skaters would emerge by PC, and laid his plans for new jumps etc accordingly.  It’s the greatest pity that he was derailed by injury but who knows? If he had totally dominated throughout those years he might be moving on to new challenges now instead of continuing.

It’s a great sporting friendship, far preferable to the unpleasant Pluschenko/Yagudin feud,  and it seems to have encouraged a friendly rivalry ethos in those younger than them which is nice to see.  

I agree! He continues to win because he never looks down on his competitors, respects them and never gets arrogant 

I don't think Hanyu measures himself against others in a way where he finds his own strengths against other's weaknesses. Not when it comes to skating anyway. Based on all that he's done so far, he probably looks at everyone's strengths, right down to the non-contenders, and try to adopt them for himself. Meaning, I don't think there is a single contender he looks down upon. Everyone has something he finds worth learning to further better himself. For all we know, he's looking at the juniors and novices, too.

Sure, during competitions he's going to try to bring out all the things he's absorbed from everyone in order to whoop everyone's asses but I actually don't think he does it to prove he's better. I think he does it to ultimately prove he's right. That's the vibe I seem to be getting off of him, which explains why I root for him. Cos I usually can't stand competitive people. But for some reason, probably the one I just mentioned, he really inspires me.

12 hours ago, Sammie said:

Anyone know what he actually yelled here? 

I always look to me like 

Reveal hidden contents

“HEEY BITCHESs!!” 

:headdesk:

8 hours ago, BrightonDogwoods said:

I don't know what the Japanese words are but I think it was something like, `Did you see that!` Or `Did you see what I did!`

Someone here on the planet pointed out recently how similar Yuzu's situation was from Worlds 2016 to Olys 2018, with hidden injuries yet nailing the SP, leading everyone to believe he's in good shape, only he knows the disaster that lurks. Even down to the same 2 programs!! Thank god my brain wouldn't let me see the pattern, I surely would have exploded with anxiety! Once again I am in awe of his mental strength, it's super-human 

:13877886:

5 hours ago, katonice said:

I always thought he yelled "Mita kaa?!!!" here. Which yes translates to "Did you see that?!!" 

That's just what I thought at least. Could be completely different 😅

4 hours ago, Erin said:

Uhhh, I can't edit my post ^^ (accidentally submitted it)

I just want to add: 

Yes, that's what I thought too. 

:headdesk2:

As @katonice mentioned, Yuzu's screaming 「見たかーーーー!」"Mita kaa--!!" (Did you see that) but I agree with @Sammie's interpretation. His testosterone level is maxed out there. Oh I :tumblr_inline_nhkf0oKdhx1qid2nw: love his wild side  

9 分, BWOZWaltzさんが言いました:

As @katonice mentioned, Yuzu's screaming 「見たかーーーー!」"Mita kaa--!!" (Did you see that) but I agree with @Sammie's interpretation. His testosterone level is maxed out there. Oh I :tumblr_inline_nhkf0oKdhx1qid2nw: love his wild side  

Not for young eyes. Or those with conservative humor. Please stay away.

Spoiler

You mean he's basically going, "LOOK! LOOK AT THE SIZE OF MY---!"

Which, you know, he was. Figuratively speaking, of course.

26 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Absolutely, the sportsmanship in the top 5 or so at Pyeongchang was really lovely to watch. Actually - and I'm not swiping at Chan here, I feel for him even if I don't really like him - I've always felt that these two pictures are almost representative of the way this developed...

EyCS9YG.jpg

EUHFfxC.jpg

2 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Not for young eyes. Or those with conservative humor. Please stay away.

Hide contents

You mean he's basically going, "LOOK! LOOK AT THE SIZE OF MY---!"

Which, you know, he was.

Aw not that way but in the competitive male field, it translates as "I am the most dominant one". I am not usually fond of the b-word but in essence, in this case, his face says it all. Basically Yuzu's saying "Did you see what I'm made of!" so if the size matter then yes to your quote but Japanese word 見たかー! does not contain any sexual nuance itself.

15 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I don't think Hanyu measures himself against others in a way where he finds his own strengths against other's weaknesses. Based on all that he's done so far, he probably looks at everyone's strengths, right down to the non-contenders, and try to adopt them for himself. Meaning, I don't think there is a single contender he looks down upon. Everyone has something he finds worth learning to further better himself. For all we know, he's looking at the juniors and novices, too.

Sure, during competitions he's going to try to bring out all the things he's absorbed from everyone in order to whoop everyone's asses but I actually don't think he does it to prove he's better. I think he does it to ultimately prove he's right. That's the vibe I seem to be getting off of him, which explains why I root for him. Cos I usually can't stand competitive people. But for some reason, probably the one I just mentioned, he really inspires me.

I pretty much agree, though I don't think that way of developing and competing is necessarily not competitiveness. But, personally, for me competitiveness is most obvious in hating to lose. And he definitely hates to lose. However, when he loses, he never blames others or begrudge them their victories, he just feels he wasn't good enough at that point in time and searches for ways to improve so that that will never happen again. I'm not sure he thinks in terms of better. Rather he just wants to be the best at any given point. He may or may not think he is generally or overall better than all the others, but he also knows it means squat if he can't be the best when it matters, which is during the competitions. So being better doesn't matter, it's being the best when it matters that does. And his biggest rival in being the best is himself - he has to make sure he makes no mistakes, or very small ones, or can try to recover from those he makes, or he has to maintain his focus and not overthink etc. He doesn't count on others making mistakes (although I'm sure in that big brain of his he is aware of the possibilities it will happen) and I really admire that. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that. In a way, that is like not really competing against them, though.

25 分, BWOZWaltzさんが言いました:

Aw not that way but in the competitive male field, it translates as "I am the most dominant one". I am not usually fond of the b-word but in essence, in this case, his face says it all. Basically Yuzu's saying "Did you see what I'm made of!" so if the size matter then yes to your quote but Japanese word 見たかー! does not contain any sexual nuance itself.

Okay, I think you missed my point. It's not meant as a sexual reference. It's just a redneckish way of saying, "Who's the man now?!" Which is basically what you're describing. Only less...cultured, you know?

20 分, KatjaTheraさんが言いました:

I pretty much agree, though I don't think that way of developing and competing is necessarily not competitiveness. But, personally, for me competitiveness is most obvious in hating to lose. And he definitely hates to lose. However, when he loses, he never blames others or begrudge them their victories, he just feels he wasn't good enough at that point in time and searches for ways to improve so that that will never happen again. I'm not sure he thinks in terms of better. Rather he just wants to be the best at any given point. He may or may not think he is generally or overall better than all the others, but he also knows it means squat if he can't be the best when it matters, which is during the competitions. So being better doesn't matter, it's being the best when it matters that does. And his biggest rival in being the best is himself - he has to make sure he makes no mistakes, or very small ones, or can try to recover from those he makes, or he has to maintain his focus and not overthink etc. He doesn't count on others making mistakes (although I'm sure in that big brain of his he is aware of the possibilities it will happen) and I really admire that. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that. In a way, that is like not really competing against them, though.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying what he does isn't competitive. It's hella competitive. He's hella competitive.  Like probably more than everyone else out there across all fields, male and female, put together. But I'm saying it's not just competitiveness that he's driven by because if it's just that, I wouldn't have become a fan. He is quite insufferably competitive, in fact, but you root for him still because he also does it in a way that doesn't belittle others just to prove he's the man. Like, just because he won doesn't mean others are losers. As in, I don't get the feeling that he wants to prove he's the best just for the sake of being the best. I think he's doing it to prove he is the best because he is right. Not that others are wrong. Just that he isn't wrong. And he got maybe a few more things right than others seeing the results he's gotten. And that if others thought a bit more in the same way, maybe they too, could achieve more. Like even if we don't like competing with others, we all do still end up competing with ourselves at various points and it's important that we don't lose when that happens. And even if we did we shouldn't give up trying to win. That sorta thing.

Anywho, I'm just stating why I personally find him inspiring, despite being the sort to shy away from competitive types. Not saying my words are gospel or anything. ^^;

3 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Okay, I think you missed my point. It's not meant as a sexual reference. It's just a redneckish way of saying, "Who's the man now?!" Which is basically what you're describing. Only less...cultured, you know?

Haha I was pointing out just to be sure for non-Japanese ppl that the word itself had no sexual meaning and I didn't think you're referring the actual *thing.:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:  Yuzu's cry of 見たかー! shows how proud he was at that moment as he's at the top of the game. Yes he's saying "Who's the boss now?" so we're on the same page:D