General Yuzuru Chat

11 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

However, its very obvious that he really, really, really likes axel jumps and does them easily. Whereas his Lutz, even the 3Lz, never seemed like that to me, it seemed more like something he really had to work on. IMO that tips the balance in favor of sooner rather than later for 4A. But I would be shocked if we see any sign of it before December at earliest.

I really think he might do the 4A this season.  The quad lutz, I have a feeling, is history.  It spelled disaster for him and he really doesn't need it.  With the loop, toe-loop, toe and salchow he has enough there to get the job done.  Add the 4A and he's truly in business.  Also I can't help but think that Stephen Gogolev, who is training with him (and probably has been for some time) is a motivator since it's very possible that he might be the first to do it.  The irony of having the first competitive 4A landed in junior competition is one I find temptingly delicious.  I think the only thing that might be holding Yuzu back is whether he should enter the 4A in the same way most other skaters enter the 3A or if he should attempt to do it with the patented entry he uses routinely for his 3A.

I don’t actually mind who jumps 4A first, I’m sure that when Yuzuru does his will be beautiful, correct and probably out of some complex entry because that’s his style and I can’t imagine him toning it down at this stage.  It’s not who does it first but who does it best, and by that I mean consistently , correctly and elegantly, and that’s most likely to be YH.

I think it’s highly unlikely that Brian Orser, who has fairly well documented views on gradual development of jumping and skating skills and going slowly and carefully with young skaters would let a 13/14 year old attempt a 4A.  It’s not an extra teeny step, it’s a whole extra revolution on the jump that most people find the most challenging, and few of them do well as a triple.

46 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I really think he might do the 4A this season.  The quad lutz, I have a feeling, is history.  It spelled disaster for him and he really doesn't need it.  With the loop, toe-loop, toe and salchow he has enough there to get the job done.  Add the 4A and he's truly in business.  Also I can't help but think that Stephen Gogolev, who is training with him (and probably has been for some time) is a motivator since it's very possible that he might be the first to do it.  The irony of having the first competitive 4A landed in junior competition is one I find temptingly delicious.  I think the only thing that might be holding Yuzu back is whether he should enter the 4A in the same way most other skaters enter the 3A or if he should attempt to do it with the patented entry he uses routinely for his 3A.

He is coming back from a very serious injury so now I can only say health comes first and then we'll see when he will go for Nessie. A monster jump like the 4A takes a lot practice and the risk of any injury is very high so we don't really know when he will be able to land it. But as @Sombreuil says and others also mentioned, if he lands it then it will be beautiful with the best technique, and it will be historical. Though I'm not sure about a difficult entry (at least not for the first time) because landing it is on a completely different level of difficulty than anything else he's done so far -  and the first step will probably be to land it correctly and without UR/DG or other serious errors. :)

Am I the only one hoping to see 4Lutz back and actuall expecting to see it in the near future that could be next season or the one after that? 

Doesn't feel like Yuzuru to just give up on a jump because he injured himself with it. He injured himself with 4toeloop too. And look at it go now. 

21 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

He is coming back from a very serious injury so now I can only say health comes first and then we'll see when he will go for Nessie. A monster jump like the 4A takes a lot practice and the risk of any injury is very high so we don't really know when he will be able to land it. But as @Sombreuil says and others also mentioned, if he lands it then it will be beautiful with the best technique, and it will be historical. Though I'm not sure about a difficult entry (at least not for the first time) because landing it is on a completely different level of difficulty than anything else he's done so far -  and the first step will probably be to land it correctly and without UR/DG or other serious errors. :)

I realize that he is coming back from a very serious injury, one that for awhile even threatened his ability to continue competing.  Taking all that into account I think it quite possible he was well along in pursuing the 4A before the injury, since it's known he's been pursuing it for some years now.  The fact that he has just recently publicly put the 4A forward as his major project makes me think that it's pretty close to being unveiled, otherwise why would he bring it up, unless he's using that as a diversion in order to spring some other surprise, such as perhaps a quad/quad combination.  If anyone can do that Yuzu can.  Perhaps a quint?  Probably not, since they don't have a point spread for quints.  The thing is that Yuzu has a lot of 'unfinished business', things he was planning on doing before the injury.  He has to start a new string of GPF wins, wants to finally go gold in the 4CC, pick up another world title.  4A was part of that unfinished business and the fact that he has stated he wants to go after that jump means that it is now top priority.  As I said before, though, he wouldn't have made such a public pronouncement if he wasn't sure it was near to accomplishing.  That's just gut instinct on my part, just speculation but I cannot help but think something is going on here otherwise why be so specific?

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

Am I the only one hoping to see 4Lutz back and actuall expecting to see it in the near future that could be next season or the one after that? 

Doesn't feel like Yuzuru to just give up on a jump because he injured himself with it. He injured himself with 4toeloop too. And look at it go now. 

I want to see Lady 4Lz back too, she was too beautiful when behaving. =(

While I get the idea that Yuzu's a master of axels, I also think it's more likely that 4Lz will be back sooner, because the muscle memory is likely still there. While he needs to build up new muscle memory for princess Nessie. Also, we don't know what the status of it is outside of harness, as so far all the interviews regarding him and Nessie all involve a harness. 

As @sallycinnamon says the most important thing is health- total recovery and complete and thorough rehabilitation from the injury, but once that’s done, he’s never seemed the type to give up on a jump once he had it.  My impression was it was less the 4Ltz than trying to practise it while feeling ill/ jet lagged etc.  With a bit of luck NHK experience has cured him of that 🤞🏻