General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Moria Polonius said:

I think Yuzu will have to shift his definition of "perfect skate" then because this way he's setting himself up to for a disappointment. :grin:

That's true since he probably won't have the highest BV this season :animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01:. I'm sure he's a realist and aware of this not being possible so it probably has already changed, but the kuyashi is strong with this one so he might skate until he completes his goal  :peek:

1 hour ago, Neenah said:

It is what makes being his fan exciting, you know he is never satisfied and will be doing something interesting and challenging next  :smiley-happy085:

And what keeps the wigs industry thriving as millions of fans collectively lose their hair. 

*kidding...kinda*

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Don't you mean Worlds 2017 H&L? And he has the two Olympic golds now. Scroll back, you'll see people are talking about his motivation to continue Now, after achieving all that. I'm saying I think he has an image in his head of what 'the perfect skate' is, and he won't stop competing until he achieves that ideal. 

Isn't Worlds 2017 H&L is a perfect FS *only*? :10814716:

Do you mean there is a shift in his opinion about a perfect skate? Like, previously, it is about winning in a landslide even when all his competitors skating their best--and now it is about a skate that leaves lasting impression to the viewers? Those kind of skate IMHO is easier to reach with EX programs, but Yuzu might have a different idea.

to be fair, I don't think having the highest BV has ever been his goal anyway. Yuzuru knows all too well BV is only part of the score.

In his aim for top, in his desire to win even when everyone skates clean, he's always taken into account what kind of GOE and PCS he (and others) can realistically get, they are part of the equation. That's why, if in PC everyone had been perfect with their layouts (no pops and falls), as *some people* like to say when trying to undermine Yuzu's win, he still should have come out on top, despite not having higher BV. 

It's just that the level of skaters are not the same, so the absolute perfection of 'all elements+3goe' isn't realistically achievable for every skater (if judges were to judge properly, of course). But they were indeed achievable for him (and in several occasions he's got pretty close to maxed out score, so it's not like he was overconfident, it's just how things are).

Of course every season, with skaters developing and getting better, the status quo of 'who can achive this and that in GOE and PCS' can shift. When he thought to increase his BV (other than his own hunger for new jumps and challenges) it was because he knew his superior GOE alone could not be enough to win, in hypotetic case 'everyone skates clean', if he fell back too much in BV (or more accurately, maybe, he was being realistic in how hard is to have a perfect skate with all +3GOE and wanted to have a little of BV cushion himself)

Of one thing I'm sure, and it's that Yuzuru would always try to give himself the chance to win when everyone skates clean. He just isn't the type of guy who would be satisfied to rely on other people making mistakes (of course, if he'll actually win or not will depend on a lot more, but when he skates to win, he does so believing that in that in theory he can beat everyone's best)

(before Sochi, when he was going against Patrick, he used BV and GOE so that, even if Patrick was clean, he could still have a chance, if a slim one, to win. We've never got both of them skating perfectly clean in the same competition, but at GPF13 Yuzuru got pretty close to Patrick's best score of a few weeks before, so, while we can't be sure, maybe it would have been possible for him to beat even a perfect Patrick...maybe everything would have come down to skating order and judge's whim... and I think that kind of situation is what Yuzuru wanted to avoid upping his BV everytime new challengers have raised)

Also, in his mind having a perfect skate and having a skate leaving a lasting impression are pretty much tied. Jumps are, after all, part of performance and if jumps fail he would feel he wasn't able to convey enough to the audience (even if the audience might think otherwise:laughing:)

I just think that maybe from now on he could be a little less harsh with himself if he fails to deliver his ideal skate...

(what has he said once, that he felt so regretful he could swallow a galaxy or something? Or that his kuyashii would create a galaxy? I can't remember, it was a very vivid image tho... Yuzu-archives satellites, I summon you!:biggrin:)

Adding this because kinda on topic.

Reading through Aoi Honoo 1: Yuzuru Hanyu, being kuyashii about step sequence levels since 2011 :headdesk:

He really hasn't changed :smiley-laughing015:

1 hour ago, vanadiezz said:

Isn't Worlds 2017 H&L is a perfect FS *only*? :10814716:

Do you mean there is a shift in his opinion about a perfect skate? Like, previously, it is about winning in a landslide even when all his competitors skating their best--and now it is about a skate that leaves lasting impression to the viewers? Those kind of skate IMHO is easier to reach with EX programs, but Yuzu might have a different idea.

No. I mean maybe he hasn't revealed to the world what he really thinks a 'perfect skate ' is yet. Or maybe even he isn't 100% sure what his 'perfect skate' will be until he does it and feels satisfied. Maybe he's trying to climb his own personal Everest. 

What I'm trying to say is that I think Yuzuru's goal is, and always has been, complete perfection, and that he doesn't think he's achieved it yet. No need to keep coming back to ask me what I mean, over and over again. What I've said - what Yuzu has said -  is clear enough. 

3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

No. I mean maybe he hasn't revealed to the world what he really thinks a 'perfect skate ' is yet. Or maybe even he isn't 100% sure what his 'perfect skate' will be until he does it and feels satisfied. Maybe he's trying to climb his own personal Everest. 

What I'm trying to say is that I think Yuzuru's goal is, and always has been, complete perfection, and that he doesn't think he's achieved it yet. No need to keep coming back to ask me what I mean, over and over again. What I've said - what Yuzu has said -  is clear enough. 

Well, I think there is also the thing that some people will set a higher goal everytime they reach their current one. Happens with earphone; you think that your new one is perfect until you get used to it and want something better. :13877886:

4 hours ago, xeyra said:

@yude at GS translated an article from Taisuke Goto published on July 19. Here the author talks about Yuzu and the People's Honor Award as well as his example set through efficient practice, which he has to have to compensate for his shorter practice time compared to other men. 

Original

Translation at GS

What an interesting article! Thanks for sharing it, I will forever be amazed by the fact that the best of a field are always those who fight the hardest to be on top... often because they encounter more harships, more challenges. Yuzuru is the perfect example of that. I mean, it's something you understand in life, if you are one of those who didn't quite have everything (or anything) really handed to you. But not many of us grow up to be Olympic Champions. So Yuzuru is truly a case to be studied for the years to come. 

3 hours ago, OonsieHui said:

Came across this on Twitter and lol-ed. :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

The replies are funny too! 

:xD::darklordyuzu:

Lmao he won't wait until the podium, he would break into the ice right when Keegan is still in the air at his last rotation and drag him out immediately=))) 

Never being completely satisfied is the curse of perfectionism, IMO. Most perfectionists always feel there is room for better. So, I'm not sure even Yuzu will ever feel he has attained perfection.

IIRC, for GPF15, he also had some issues with one of his 4Ts, aside from the step sequence. (Btw, I always find it kind of ironic that he loses a level in his step sequence not because he's sloppy or lazy or whatever, but because he's too fast and gets too caught up in the music.)

And while I adore Worlds'17 H&L, I, too, think it could actually be marginally better, technically. Some of the landings weren't as buttery smooth as he can do them and the Ina Bauer bothers me a lot, because it seems way ahead of the music. I know it's because he has to get ready for the last jump, but after all of his perfectly on the music IBs, that one grates. The interpretation and everything else is amazing and even the technical apart is much better than 99.9% of the rest, but knowing what he is capable of, I know in an ideal, perfect scenario, he can do even better. I'm pretty sure that's how he thinks as well.

On top of that kind of 'everything aligns just right and he can do each and every element at the highest level he can achieve' situation, everyone else doing the same, would indeed create his most perfect winning scenario. Honestly, that's a lot of stars that need to align lol

I think in a way, Olys this year might also count. He made two mistakes, and Javi made one and Shoma made one, but generally, all three skated really well and the mistakes kind of evened them out. Maybe that played a part into him actually feeling satisfied. (It was also different from Sochi, where both he and Patrick had mini- or not so mini - meltdowns, among a ton of other meltdowns. In PC, each of the three had mistakes, but they weren't that bad and the programs were still really strong despite it.)

11 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

You know, he's talked an awful lot in various interviews about Plushenko's 'perfect skate' . My guess is that Yuzu is chasing the same mythical beast. Until he gets a 'perfect skate' that meets all his expectations for himself, he won't quit competing IMO.

I have a feeling that Yuzu's desire for a perfect skate is one he's pursued for quite some time although only recently has he hinted of it more strongly.  In that sense I think he is embracing the philosophy towards competing that Misha Ge has followed all along, making of his competition programs artistic statements rather than competitive attempts.  It will be sad to see Misha leaving the competitive ranks for he has been the most prominent member of that fraternity that seeks its results primarily in the PCS rather than the TES.  Jason Brown is another such and perhaps he might now be moving to replace Misha in that sense.  Yuzu, however, is more advantageously placed to achieve a 'perfect skate', whatever that might be.  For him the TES is just as accessible as the PCS when he wants to ramp up the scoring.  Even more is the fact that Yuzu edits his own music, laying out the broad outlines of his program even as he is choosing the precise music that will accompany his skating.  This enables him to combine the two into a fairly detailed sketch before he approaches a choreographer to aid him in making the final product.  It's Yuzu's advantage, then, that he is the essential creator of his programs, making them truly self-expressions, far more so than is the case with skaters who approach choreographers with only a germ of a concept.  This also gives Yuzu the tools to truly create the perfect skate he dreams about, the tools to allow him to make the better-than-clean-skate that is the heart of a perfect skate.

He's talked a lot about how he either makes mistakes in the short or the long and how he wants to be a "real champion like Plushenko" that skates cleanly in both.  I think when  he talks about the perfect skate he means a perfect competition in a major competition, which I think means either worlds or Olympics.  At the 2018 Olympics, even though he was happy with his skate and said that he skated as well as he could have under the circumstances, he still had regrets that there were mistakes.  And pretty much every time he talked about Sochi he mentioned how only the short program was good.