General Yuzuru Chat

2 minutes ago, vanadiezz said:

Hasn't he got the mythical beast once, during GPF '15? I think he keeps going because he said winning Olympic Gold twice will be legendary.

(But some are still reluctant to acknowledge your GOAT status Yuzu, you might need to go for a thrice.)

:13877886:

Those "some" are just jealous that they're not even worth mentioning. Honestly those people's era got it easier and they wanna complain here aand there. No thanks.

18 時間前, WinForPoohさんが言いました:

But I hope he feels free enough to go ahead and do exactly what he wants, choose the music he wants, the choreo he wants, express the emotions he wants, not what he knows judges have traditionally appreciated more easily. 

I think he was sorta already doing this with SEIMEI and H&L. He never seems to be overly bothered whether or not the judges will buy them. He seems to me to run on the logic that so long as he sells them, they'll happily buy whatever he's selling, the end. I don't mean he doesn't feel apprehensive about his choices, he definitely does, and maybe it's this part he's feeling less of now that he's achieved most of his goals (imagine that. 2x OGM and the guy's still got unfinished business...he probably always will), but on the flip side, he definitely also harbors confidence that if he manages to present what he has in his head, it'd be quite hard for judges to not jump on board his ship. Guy wouldn't be chasing his ideals so stubbornly and doggedly if he wasn't at least sure of that.

And he wasn't exactly wrong either. He may have wondered if H&L was too introspective for the judges to be more generous with their scoring of it but I truly do think the main reason behind why it didn't get the score it really deserved despite his close to perfect showing of it is due to circumstances (first to skate in his group eith the judges still holding firm to a 6.0 mentality). Had he skated the way he did last or second last, I'm pretty sure the judges would have lapped it up like they did SEIMEI. At this point, as long as the guy skates clean, I sincerely do think he can do whatever the hell he wants and still  have them all eating out of his hands. That's the overall impression I'm getting looking at his career from a bird's eye view.

20 minutes ago, Ferrer said:

Those "some" are just jealous that they're not even worth mentioning. Honestly those people's era got it easier and they wanna complain here aand there. No thanks.

I've always found it odd when certain commentators are like "So and so was undefeated during his time. Yuzuru is not. So he isn't GOAT" and I'm like... hmmm... I do see what you're saying, but also, on the flip side, isn't it even more impressive that he's managed to succeed when his competitors are all also really good? 

Its really just two ways of looking at it. Are they only going to acknowledge a GOAT as someone who dominates the field (regardless of how tough the field is), and wins everything and every competition? I can honestly see where they are coming from with that, and I do see how if they use that definition of "GOAT" then Yuzu certainly is not the GOAT. Or are they actually going to look at his skating to say he's the GOAT?

32 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

I've always found it odd when certain commentators are like "So and so was undefeated during his time. Yuzuru is not. So he isn't GOAT" and I'm like... hmmm... I do see what you're saying, but also, on the flip side, isn't it even more impressive that he's managed to succeed when his competitors are all also really good? 

Its really just two ways of looking at it. Are they only going to acknowledge a GOAT as someone who dominates the field (regardless of how tough the field is), and wins everything and every competition? I can honestly see where they are coming from with that, and I do see how if they use that definition of "GOAT" then Yuzu certainly is not the GOAT. Or are they actually going to look at his skating to say he's the GOAT?

They just don't want to admit it if possible. I mean, look at Med and Zagitova, both were undefeated in their golden seasons, but I still don't think with that undefeated streaks they are the best of all time. They are great, of course. Those people are just too salty to admit he's a GOAT. :dpooh:

2 hours ago, vanadiezz said:

Hasn't he got the mythical beast once, during GPF '15? I think he keeps going because he said winning Olympic Gold twice will be legendary.

iirc he said his ideal/perfect skate is if he skates clean and everyone else skates clean as well and he still wins - he said that gpf ’15 was the closest it came. I don’t remember how long ago he said this tho so it might’ve changed :shrug:

2 hours ago, Tee said:

iirc he said his ideal/perfect skate is if he skates clean and everyone else skates clean as well and he still wins - he said that gpf ’15 was the closest it came. I don’t remember how long ago he said this tho so it might’ve changed :shrug:

I think Yuzu will have to shift his definition of "perfect skate" then because this way he's setting himself up for a disappointment. :grin:

@yude at GS translated an article from Taisuke Goto published on July 19. Here the author talks about Yuzu and the People's Honor Award as well as his example set through efficient practice, which he has to have to compensate for his shorter practice time compared to other men. 

Original

Translation at GS

Hanyu's skating life has been a battle against injury and illness. He can not let go of medicine with asthma holding, there was the case the attack appeared after Sochi Olympics of 2014. He has a small appetite and is easy to catch a cold. Not only both ankles, hips, left knee, he has also hurt his back and neck as well. 

In order to avoid injury and illness, Hanyu made practice hours shorter. Four days a week, or five days at most. Practice time on the ice per day is about two hours. It is shorter compared to other Japanese skaters who skate about 4 hours, 6 or 7 days a week.

He compensated for short time practice by "doing research". He calls body movements common in the successful jumps "greatest common divisor" and has written down in the notebook.

All the very top athletes want to beat their competitors at their absolute best. Then there is no question of " what if so and so had done this..." then results might have been different. The problem is that in skating there will almost always be a wobble of some kind, on something.... and with a limited number of competitions each year when everyone is present, and healthy, that ultimate competition is very rare. 

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

You know, he's talked an awful lot in various interviews about Plushenko's 'perfect skate' . My guess is  on that Yuzu is chasing the same mythical beast. Until he gets a 'perfect skate' that meets all his expectations for himself, he won't quit competing IMO.

To me that's 2017 Worlds HL, that's the perfect skate

My mind can't process anything even more perfect than that, but I guess if anyone can prove me wrong on that, it's Yuzuru.

4 hours ago, vanadiezz said:

(But some are still reluctant to acknowledge your GOAT status Yuzu, you might need to go for a thrice.)

:13877886:

Don't you mean Worlds 2017 H&L? And he has the two Olympic golds now. Scroll back, you'll see people are talking about his motivation to continue Now, after achieving all that. I'm saying I think he has an image in his head of what 'the perfect skate' is, and he won't stop competing until he achieves that ideal. 

30 minutes ago, Nutmeg said:

To me that's 2017 Worlds HL, that's the perfect skate

My mind can't process anything even more perfect than that, but I guess if anyone can prove me wrong on that, it's Yuzuru.

I agree with you , but this is Yuzu we're talking about. He probably has other ideas. 

I think Yuzu's vision of the ideal skate is evolving with his skating. He is always pushing himself to the limits and when he overcomes those limits he sets himself new goals. Yuzu in 2015 or even 2017 is not the same skater he is now and his experience and challenges are also on a different level. It is what makes being his fan exciting, you know he is never satisfied and will be doing something interesting and challenging next  :smiley-happy085:

8 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

Came across this on Twitter and lol-ed. :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

The replies are funny too! 

:rofl3:Surely the Canadian curse won't be that cruel! 

3 minutes ago, Neenah said:

I think Yuzu's vision of the ideal skate is evolving with his skating. He is always pushing himself to the limits and when he overcomes those limits he sets himself new goals. Yuzu in 2015 or even 2017 is not the same skater he is now and his experience and challenges are also on a different level. It is what makes being his fan exciting, you know he is never satisfied and will be doing something interesting and challenging next  :smiley-happy085:

And finally, one day, he will take on the One True ChallengeTM that will truly make him GOAT, acknowledged by all far and wide, including certain 'critics': he will point his toes. 

(ETA: Need sarcasm font.)