General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, asiacheetah said:

Stephen is what 13? This year is his first year as a Junior isn't it? He's part of the Junior GP? In 4 years he will be 17. You think he will get the PCS score needed to beat seasoned skaters by that point to be a OGM threat?

Men, until recent years, unlike ladies field, aren't handed out PCS candies by the judges on their first senior year. Even Nathan didn't get his crazy PCS score until second season and 6 quad programs. Now the judges have seen it, I don't think they'd be so quick to reward a skater for doing so many quads. 

Brian has mentioned Stephen still needs to work on the everything in between the jumps so I always read that as he's technically advanced right now but not developed as a skilled skater yet. 17 also means Stephen will be going through growing pains. Unless he gets it really early stays relatively slim and compact, I see his jumps suffering. 

I just don't see him being a legitimate threat for the next Olympics. The one after that, heck yeah!

Also, I don't have Twitter so can't vote. My answer would have been Shoma. He hasn't been in too  many ice shows this summer. He did some in the beginning, took a long break while he's training, and is now using the ice shows to practice his programs. I think he's hungry.

Beginning with Shoma.  Yes, he is hungry and he knows who is the one at the top he needs to topple, and it isn't Nathan.  He is a complete skater of sorts but his range of expression is limited.  At the same time we have to remember that Shoma's first seasons at senior level were actually better than Yuzu's first seasons at roughly the same age.  On the other hand his rise to the top has been halted by an immovable object named Yuzuru Hanyu.  Finishing ahead of Yuzu has to be Shoma's fiercest dream. 

On to Stephen.  Stephen is ten years to the month younger than Yuzu who began skating senior level in the 2010-11 season during which he turned sixteen on 7 December 2010.  That means that Stephen is eligible to skate senior level in the 2020/21 season during which he turns sixteen on 22 December 2020.  The 2013/14 Olympic season was Yuzu's fourth season on the senior level, making the 2023/24 Olympic season Stephen's fourth on the senior level where he will be at age nineteen, the same as Yuzu was at Sochi.  Now, in comparison to Yuzu at age 13 Stephen has much to learn, primarily, as you pointed out, in the stuff between jumps.  Yuzu, who is near at hand, definitely knows what to do between jumps and there is no better model to be found on the surface of this planet right now.  Brian has acknowledged that Stephen is technically advanced, so Stephen doesn't need to learn any new jumps (incidentally I think Stephen is Yuzu's greatest threat to beat him in landing a 4A) so these next years Brian can concentrate on Stephen learning the stuff between the jumps.  Stephen's success depends on his innate ability there (nowhere near Yuzu's) and convincing (to the judges) choreography.  Ahead of him right now are the growing pains.  For this Brian can call on his experience with Nam and also, we have to assume, his experience with Yuzu, who was sixteen (and presumably still growing) when he came to TCC. 

In all this we should not eliminate Yuzu's input.  He can, in many ways, be a big brother to the ten years younger Stephen (if he isn't already) and, giving Yuzu's generous nature, potentially a source of advice as Stephen commences international competition.  Actually I think because of Yuzu's longevity at TCC he might be becoming a de facto member of the coaching staff there, someone to whom the official coaches might turn when in need of an outside opinion on various matters.  We have to remember that while Yuzu is just 23, with Javi gone, Yuzu is the senior trainee there (although only eight days older than Jason Brown).  I think above all Yuzu is a role model for the other skaters in how he handles his success.  I can barely imagine how it must feel to the other skaters at TCC when he is on the ice when they are.  It is at those times they can see how a champion handles himself away from competition and what we know of his humility and generosity is right there front and center.

Which brings me back to an earlier assertion that Yuzu probably already sees Stephen as a future credible competitor.  We must never underestimate Yuzu's intelligence.  He is an athlete both in matters of the body and matters of the brain and he has had many years to observe Stephen's development as a skater (they both came to TCC at roughly the same time).  I have no doubt that Yuzu, even while recognizing Stephen as a future foe, still will not be reluctant in doing what he can to help Stephen in his skating.  We must not forget that Yuzu does not want weakened opposition on the ice.  He wants those he skates against to be skating their best when they lose to him.

Off season madness finally caught up with me and as i was taking out my earphones today, i began to ask myself...

What is Yuzu's cheapest pair of earphones?

Do you think he has a "guilty pleasure" pair?

Like, "the range is all wrong but the sound is so nostalgic~!" kind of pair that he had to buy in an emergency? (yes, forgetting your earphones is an emergency, shhh)

:sigh:

8 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Off season madness finally caught up with me and as i was taking out my earphones today, i began to ask myself...

What is Yuzu's cheapest pair of earphones?

Do you think he has a "guilty pleasure" pair?

Like, "the range is all wrong but the sound is so nostalgic~!" kind of pair that he had to buy in an emergency? (yes, forgetting your earphones is an emergency, shhh)

:sigh:

I think he has a USD 130-ish range one? Cannot remember the brand but it is a wireless sport one.
Also, at this rate I'll bet the guy has... More than 60 pair? And no, he will not forgetting his earphones. He travels with loads of them! :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Writing this makes me wonder if he still keep that SONY headphone he received from Kenji's room...

Just now, vanadiezz said:

I think he has a USD 130-ish range one? Cannot remember the brand but it is a wireless sport one.
Also, at this rate I'll bet the guy has... More than 60 pair? And no, he will not forgetting his earphones. He travels with loads of them! :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Writing this makes me wonder if he still keep that SONY headphone he received from Kenji's room...

He forgot his glove tho

But i wonder if he has a cheaper pair, a pair he only keeps for nostalgic purposes/guilty pleasure, but that will never see the light of day again because he now has a reputation to keep as a master headphone connoisseur :P

3 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

He forgot his glove tho

But i wonder if he has a cheaper pair, a pair he only keeps for nostalgic purposes/guilty pleasure, but that will never see the light of day again because he now has a reputation to keep as a master headphone connoisseur :P

I bet he think he can live without it. :10814716:

Umm... IDK, but since he is a sentimental guy I guess he will still have it. He can keep all that together with the iPod he received from Abe-sensei.

I think it's impossible to figure out how many headphones Yuzu has.  For me an intriguing question is how many Poohs does he have.  We know, of course, of the one that is rinkside (except at the Olympics) every time he skates competitively.  I cannot help but think, however, that he might take one Pooh home from every skate, keeping it as a 'people's trophy' reflecting the judging of those in the stands.  In choosing which one to take after each competition I think he might opt for one of a type he doesn't have yet.  There will never be a shortness of variety when choosing.  It makes me wonder, also, if he has a display case for the Poohs either at his apartment in Toronto or his home in Sendai.  There is, however, an alternative theory, that being that he takes none of them, reserving the place of honor for his tissue-box Pooh.

1 hour ago, Hydroblade said:

He forgot his glove tho

1 hour ago, vanadiezz said:

I bet he think he can live without it. :10814716:

Umm... IDK, but since he is a sentimental guy I guess he will still have it. He can keep all that together with the iPod he received from Abe-sensei.

One day they will build Hanyu Yuzuru museum and all his headphones will be on display chronologically. The caption will be there to remind people which headphones were used at olys as well as all WR comps and such. The engraved iPod from Nanami sensei will be there too. I wonder if they have audio display to listen to Yuzu's warm up music library including One OK Rock - 完全感覚Dreamer :68468287:

Also i was wasting time at work because i'm hungry and sleepy so i found a bit of the broadcast of the opening ceremony for the Nagano Paralympics, and i know that came first but i couldn't help thinking that while Asian Dream Song was being played in the venue and they were broadcasting it, baby Yuzu was about to begin his skating life, not knowing that years later he would be skating to his second world title to that song:sadPooh:

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

I think it's impossible to figure out how many headphones Yuzu has.  For me an intriguing question is how many Poohs does he have.  We know, of course, of the one that is rinkside (except at the Olympics) every time he skates competitively.  I cannot help but think, however, that he might take one Pooh home from every skate, keeping it as a 'people's trophy' reflecting the judging of those in the stands.  In choosing which one to take after each competition I think he might opt for one of a type he doesn't have yet.  There will never be a shortness of variety when choosing.  It makes me wonder, also, if he has a display case for the Poohs either at his apartment in Toronto or his home in Sendai.  There is, however, an alternative theory, that being that he takes none of them, reserving the place of honor for his tissue-box Pooh.

pooh troop occupied his bed already.

56 minutes ago, Sammie said:

I wonder if Yuzu just put his silver in a pile and only display his gold medals :joy:

I wonder if there a ladies version. I would like to know who has the most medals. 

I think he’s actually admitted somewhere he keeps his three Skate Canada silvers by his bedside. 

39 minutes ago, Sammie said:

I heard about that but I don’t know if it’s fake or not. 

It's true :smiley-laughing021:. He said it in an interview for Ice Jewels. This seems very inline with his personality in my mind.