General Yuzuru Chat

10 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

In the OWG one I felt there was more softness, and an understated, quiet joy. It felt the calm after the storm, after the pain and the struggle before Olympics and it also felt like a thank you. If HYK feels uplifting, to me the OWG Swan is utterly serene.

When Yuzuru spoke about how the title was also connected in his heart to that starry sky he witnessed after the earthquake, I thought that yes, I could really see it: the silence, the darkness all around, and then that finding unexpected beauty even in pain, and with that beauty also gratitude and a tiny spark of hope. In this sense, I feel HYK is some sort of continuation of both Requiem and Notte Stellata.

THIS. :tumblr_m9gcttgdYF1qzckow:

In my mind I always made a timeline of Etude - Requiem - Notte Stellata -  Hope & Legacy - Haru Yo Koi. With Etude being the element (tsunami) and the others for how it impact Yuzu afterward. 

10 minutes ago, Nighticeswan said:

Can anyone tell me what the... (I don't know what it is, so I'm just going to call it a box.) The box Yuzuru wears under his shirt when practicing is? Please see attached picture for reference. 

it's a heart rate monitor .

7 minutes ago, Nighticeswan said:

Oh, interesting. I've never seen any other skaters wearing one. Wouldn't it be easier just to wear a watch that could do that?

a contrario in any other sport I've seen a lot of athlete wearing a monitor like that on the chest , so I don't really know , we don't have any info from Yuzuru's side about this and why a monitor on his chest and not his wrist for example.

3 minutes ago, SydneyH said:

a contrario in any other sport I've seen a lot of athlete wearing a monitor like that on the chest , so I don't really know , we don't have any info from Yuzuru's side about this and why a monitor on his chest and not his wrist for example.

To be fair I don't really look closely at a lot of other skaters... Or watch other sports...

re: heart rate monitor

I thought a chest monitor could be more accurate than a wrist one, so I did a quick search and I was right

https://www.wareable.com/sport/heart-rate-monitors-chest-straps-v-wrist

I guess for athletes accuracy is the most important thing :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

ETA: this also contains a few details on how wrist monitor works

adding a link to a study published on JAMA cardiology for the science nerds among us :biggrin::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

I've also put forward the theory that it could be a pulse oxymeter or a device that combines a regular heart rate monitor and a pulse oxymeter. With his asthma, constantly measuring his oxygen saturation while exercising would make sense. We don't actually know, though. The fact that wearing heart monitors when exercising is very normal - not just for athletes, but people who jog a lot and such also do it - makes it more likely it is that.

As for why not on the wrist, first of all, as @LadyLou said, accuracy - it makes sense a heart rate monitor at least would be more accurate the closer it gets to the heart, anyway - but I think it's also for practical reasons. Figure skaters fall a lot and their hands are far more involved in the falls than their chest. I'm sure it'd be extra uncomfortable bracing a fall with a hand that has such a device strapped to the wrist, but you also risk breaking it. That risk is far more reduced for a chest strapped one.

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

I've also put forward the theory that it could be a pulse oxymeter or a device that combines a regular heart rate monitor and a pulse oxymeter. With his asthma, constantly measuring his oxygen saturation while exercising would make sense. We don't actually know, though. The fact that wearing heart monitors when exercising is very normal - not just for athletes, but people who jog a lot and such also do it - makes it more likely it is that.

As for why not on the wrist, first of all, as @LadyLou said, accuracy - it makes sense a heart rate monitor at least would be more accurate the closer it gets to the heart, anyway - but I think it's also for practical reasons. Figure skaters fall a lot and their hands are far more involved in the falls than their chest. I'm sure it'd be extra uncomfortable bracing a fall with a hand that has such a device strapped to the wrist, but you also risk breaking it. That risk is far more reduced for a chest strapped one.

Also the study LadyLou gave us the link to (I guess I'm a science nerd) said that arm movement messes up the wrist monitor. So yeah we all know how many arm movements Yuzu does :) plus can you imagine when he jumps how that fast motion of the arms would probably really mess it up. Thanks @LadyLou for the links! It's great stuff to know. 

2 hours ago, Coquelicot said:

I believe the correct response is "all of the above," but I can't seem to find it here... :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Lol I haven't even clicked on it yet but I'm 99% sure triple axel is winning by a mile! :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: