General Yuzuru Chat

:offtopic:Sorry for adding to the alcohol story, but my dad's case is an extreme example and kind of funny so I cannot not share. 

My dad is allergic to all forms: rubbing alcohol (the kind you use in hospitals), drinking ones, etc. Even fermented grapes give him itches. The funny thing is that he's a doctor himself, so during his surgery rotation as a medical student, he could only sit outside the operating room and watch. (He's not allowed to go in because of all the alcohol they use for disinfectant!). Generally hospital rotations were very tough for him, with a lot of rashes, hives and itches all over. I'm proud that he managed to graduate (though his only option was to do research). On business trips, my dad would take "sips" (like, letting the alcohol touch his lips), but otherwise I've never seen him drink any. 

So some people have it quite bad. Yuzu sounds like he's close to this camp. 

I think the greatest challenger for Yuzu will remain Shoma. Then Boyang then Nathan - I Put the Nathan third because I can't imagine that university and training away from his coach won't affect his results. Vincent might surprise us: he's at the age when skaters make great progress and mature artistically.

I'm somewhat excited for Juniors this year, there are a few capable of quad Lutz even. I think soon we'll witness a new era of many skaters with a wide repertoire of quads, so who of them will get to the top will depend more on components, reinforced by the new scoring system.

1 hour ago, Moria Polonius said:

I'm somewhat excited for Juniors this year, there are a few capable of quad Lutz even. I think soon we'll witness a new era of many skaters with a wide repertoire of quads, so who of them will get to the top will depend more on components, reinforced by the new scoring system.

Sorry to rain on the parade a bit by my pessimism, but when we get to the point whereas everyone has quads and BV is similar and every point matters (like in ladies) then ISU will just step in to "create" stars and rivalries through gifted PCS and GOEs to create the illusion of untouchable skaters. For instance in this next quad, I just can't imagine someone like Jun Cha Hwan (if he stabilize his quads) getting the same PCS and GOEs as Vincent Zhou.

BUT more positively if new rules and GOEs are applied a little less leniently for judges' favorites, RE: Yuzu's challengers (if Yuzu doesn't grand slam his way through this season), I'm looking forward to a dark horse upset that will also challenge the sQuad. Around Sochi for a short time there was Denis Ten and Machida, both very skilled and complete skaters when "on". I think with Nathan, Boyang, and Shoma with their huge BVs, a few of the other skaters have been overlooked but post-Olympics changes might surprise us. (I'm not super knowledgeable about FS, but this Yuzu-uber got vibes from Keegan, who is not so young but without Patrick, Canada just might push him to make a podium while they're waiting for their Beijing hopefuls).

11 hours ago, LadyLou said:

welcome @twitwi  :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

I'm sorry you have a bad case of alchol allergy/intolerance, but you're absolutely right, it's not the end of the world and there are many more things that we can enjoy and be happy about! :10742289:

@KatjaThera honestly I have no idea if Yuzuru's case might be more a proper allergy (which is much more uncommon) or intolerance.

Tbh, intolerance can develop with time, too, if there is some change in gene regulation. For example, one of the most common intolerances, the one to lactose, usually develops in adults when most people can't anymore activate the gene to produce the appropriate enzyme (gosh I should stop nerding about biology LOL). I also find quite interesting that apparently some antibiotics can worsen people's reaction to alchol.

Honestly, our body is so complex, there's so many things that can go wrong, I often marvel at how they all fall into place to keep us healthy:tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

One thing is certain: poor Yuzuru, that season he really had the toughest luck :13877886: as if a string of injuries wasn't enough :13877886::13877886:

this is so relatable:smiley-laughing021: even if I know that he doesn't wear necklaces in that program (or in the finale), I always feel 'that's something different, what is it?'

You're definitely not alone! I'm always: noooooooo so soon? Me needs moar! (I'm pretty sure I've complained 'too short!' + sad pooh emoji in every broadcast thread):embSwan:

I enjoy starting my Haru Yo Koi re-watch with Boston Requiem to wreak my feelings a bit:tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:  then I watch all the HYK in chronological sequence and by the end I'm wrecked again but from happiness:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Sometimes I add a Swan here and there, 'cause why not? And gosh, for how much I complain about arms movement not being the most important part of expression, I am hopelessly in love with Yuzu's arm movements :headdesk2: AND THOSE FINGERS!:tumblr_inline_mm2wbaeqQM1qz4rgp:

I mean, have you seen this Swan caressing lake?:tumblr_inline_mzx8zzarLt1r8msi5:

giphy.gif

And this unfurling arms :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw: yes, I know it has been giffed to death already but I had to gif that part myself :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: *fighting the urge to change her sig again*

giphy.gif

Maybe it's because it looks like his movement starts from his very core and somehow it extends not only to his fingertips but to his whole body. I quite dislike when arms move but the rest of the body is stiff, as if arms were...idk, separated from the rest of the body and the movement stops abruptly at the shoulder, or at the elbow...making arms look like disjointed pieces... (tho I suppose for certain music types that's what people aim for)

I can't get enough of HYK, first time I watched I was like, "What!? It's finished!?":201111231756430f6:

wasn't too much a fan of Notte S. maybe because the first 2 videos I saw of Yuzu was Seimei and then H&L Worlds and it felt too sad

But HYK seems very uplifting and there's a sense of joy, for me anyway

I love that layback gif (is my term correct?) It's so beautiful and now I've seen your Notte gif, I think I'll give it another look.:20111123175639e73:

I finally watched the complete FaOI shows, not just the Yuzu cuts and WOW!!!! The skaters are all amazing, I can understand why Yuzu admire them  :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

50 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Sorry to rain on the parade a bit by my pessimism, but when we get to the point whereas everyone has quads and BV is similar and every point matters (like in ladies) then ISU will just step in to "create" stars and rivalries through gifted PCS and GOEs to create the illusion of untouchable skaters. For instance in this next quad, I just can't imagine someone like Jun Cha Hwan (if he stabilize his quads) getting the same PCS and GOEs as Vincent Zhou.

BUT more positively if new rules and GOEs are applied a little less leniently for judges' favorites, RE: Yuzu's challengers (if Yuzu doesn't grand slam his way through this season), I'm looking forward to a dark horse upset that will also challenge the sQuad. Around Sochi for a short time there was Denis Ten and Machida, both very skilled and complete skaters when "on". I think with Nathan, Boyang, and Shoma with their huge BVs, a few of the other skaters have been overlooked but post-Olympics changes might surprise us. (I'm not super knowledgeable about FS, but this Yuzu-uber got vibes from Keegan, who is not so young but without Patrick, Canada just might push him to make a podium while they're waiting for their Beijing hopefuls).

I am curious with how Yuzu will approach this season. Although we can say the new rules seems to favor him, I don't think he will finally rest on his laurel either.

I'm also almost certain the BV war from Nathan and Vincent will cease since it is no longer Olympic season, but I am not really sure how will they both benefit from the +5 GOE scheme.

44 minutes ago, vanadiezz said:

I am curious with how Yuzu will approach this season. Although we can say the new rules seems to favor him, I don't think he will finally rest on his laurel either.

I'm also almost certain the BV war from Nathan and Vincent will cease since it is no longer Olympic season, but I am not really sure how will they both benefit from the +5 GOE scheme.

+5 or -5 could work in favor of Yuzu (or not when he falters), but realistically I wonder how many times over the years have Yuzu's jumps gotten 3+ across the board? I think I've seen fans wonder what else Yuzu has to do to get +3 on his 3F :P.

Edit: Nathan and Vincent, are they doing any Challengers? Shoma got a season's best at the very beginning of Olys season and we were very afraid it would set the tone (it did and also didn't). Nathan and Vincent's scoring at the Challengers and Skate America could make a difference.

I'm looking forward to which one of the top guys goes first this year and how they're scored, and where Yuzu will show up in the scale in his first among their firsts of the season.

1 hour ago, Forcefield said:

About Denis Ten, his days are over, IMO, since he didn't even make the cut at PC to advance to the FS.  As far as Yuzu's rivals right now I think it's Shoma who's likely to carry the day if they're looking for completeness (although next to Yuzu he and virtually everyone else is still skating novice-level).  Actually the skater I'm most concerned about we don't have to worry about until the 2020/21 season.  That will be Stephen Gogolev's first season on the senior level and he is now almost certainly Canada's greatest hope for Olympic gold in Beijing.  I know he has growing pains in his near future but he's been training with Brian about as long as Yuzu has and he's had plenty of opportunity to see how Yuzu does things and right now he's actually able (according to Brian) to do all the quads except the axel, putting him a step ahead of Yuzu there.

I would think Brian has already been prepping Stephen (both physically and psychologically) for the challenges coming up as he continues to grow.  Brian remembers the problems with Nam and is likely taking his experiences there and applying them to Stephen.  What he can't teach Stephen, however, is Yuzu's phenomenal sensitivity to music of all kinds, something that is largely genetic (one of the reasons I think Yuzu given a couple of inches and training since age five would have him a world-class danseur today).  While everyone has been thinking that Boyang would take the place of Javi at TCC (something which now, according to the Japan Times, is not going to happen) I think Stephen is already probably evolving into that role, since I've seen a couple clips of Yuzu training with Brian and observed Stephen in the background on the ice.  In short they're not strangers to each other and probably haven't been for years.

As to how the judges treat Yuzu in comparison to his competitors one should keep in mind that Yuzu is figure-skating's cash cow right now.  He fills the seats and they are not inclined to go too strongly against that enormous and impassioned fan-base of his.  In fact I think their worst nightmare is what will happen when he retires from competition.  Take into account when looking at the challenges facing Yuzu in these next seasons leading up to Beijing (assuming he's decided to try for a threepeat) that the rules changes are almost tailor-made for Yuzu.  He will benefit most from them since the PC points now become much more significant in terms of the final score.  Some of his competitors, I am sure, are now scrambling to acquire those basic skating skills Brian had drilled into Yuzu when he first came to TCC and which are now automatic for Yuzu.  It's the depth of those skills and Yuzu's ability to remember total body detail in the programs choreographed for him that make him able to skate programs much more densely choreographed than those of his rivals. 

As for others at TCC and their effect on Yuzu, it is actually the reverse we are probably looking at.  Jason is there now to acquire more polish, it would seem, but I think also he wants to see how Yuzu is able to integrate his technical prowess with his artistic aplomb.  Jason's successes so far have been almost entirely based on his PC elements.  While that is not his stated reasons for the move to TCC I think he really wants to be there to see how Yuzu goes about achieving what he achieves. 

Very few people on the Planet here, however, have commented on what effect Zhenya will have on Yuzu, and also his effect on her.  While the official spin has been that Zhenya moved to TCC to have greater autonomy as to the music she skates to and the choreographic content, I think she also made the move to be able to see Yuzu at work on the things that make him the most phenomenal figure on the ice right now and possibly ever to be on the ice.  He's the Wizard of Oz and Zhenya wants to see the man behind the curtain.  I really do think it would set the figure-skating world on end if the two of them were to put together an exhibition program.  The tabloids would go nuts but since it is well known that Yuzu lives essentially like a medieval monk, they would be well-placed to debunk any speculation.

3 hours ago, Erin said:

There was a broadcast of something Yuzu-related yesterday? 

22 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Google translate is unhelpful, but found this from Yuzu's FF from GS:

I've watched the program - ビートたけしのスポーツ大賞 but didn't see any new photos or news that we/fanyu don't know of.

The part that related to Yuzu was rather short and it was about his all black blades in order to eliminate the use of 'silver'.

If you've watched CWW then there's no new secret that we need to discover. So all in all there's nothing that you've missed if you didn't watch the program.

I'm in UK right now and enjoying the lovely weather while nursing my two-day hangover since Sunday morning.  Through my foggy head and constant wave of tiredness, I've thought about Yuzu and drinking. 

Yuzu being dedicated athlete and has asthma, not to mention his experience of allergic reaction to the surgical disinfectant, it's for the best that Yuzu and alcohol kept each other some distance. He has repeatedly said through interviews as well as TV appearances that he cannot drink 'お酒は飲めません' probably because it is easier to say 'cannot drink' than 'do not drink' 'お酒は飲みません' as the latter may create further question of 'why?'. One cannot drink alcohol for whatever reason doesn't need to explain in details of why they cannot drink as it could be relating to more private issues and most people would understand (in Japanese culture anyway). Yuzu doesn't need to explain this to anyone as the decision is based on what's beneficial for him. Later in his life if he'd like to develop alcohol tolerance in order to enjoy the alcohol intoxication, he will have the whole life to do so after his retirement from the competitive figure skating. But as long as he remains in the competition, I don't think he'd risk anything to find the pleasure of drinking. What is drinking anyway? I'd say it's overrated.:13877886:

I believe most of us who enjoy drinking do it because we feel liberated from ourselves that we're usually maintaining in order to lead everyday life  like work, study, etc. And also we do it to enjoy the time with friends or families around drinking occasion. Those who drink alone is not drinking because they enjoy it  but rather they have to drink to forget about their hardships or they're addicted to alcohol.

Most of us know that you don't need to drink to enjoy what life offers you so for Yuzu's case, I would like to think he's decided for now that he does not need to drink for whatever the reason. If he cannot drink or doesn't not drink won't really matter. I usually do not drink at home but when I'm on holiday among family and old friends, I'd like to enjoy it with them even with the hangover afterwards...but some days I ask myself 'why do I do this to myself?' :13877886:

50 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

+5 or -5 could work in favor of Yuzu (or not when he falters), but realistically I wonder how many times over the years have Yuzu's jumps gotten 3+ across the board? I think I've seen fans wonder what else Yuzu has to do to get +3 on his 3F :P.

Edit: Nathan and Vincent, are they doing any Challengers? Shoma got a season's best at the very beginning of Olys season and we were very afraid it would set the tone (it did and also didn't). Nathan and Vincent's scoring at the Challengers and Skate America could make a difference.

I'm looking forward to which one of the top guys goes first this year and how they're scored, and where Yuzu will show up in the scale in his first among their firsts of the season.

(This is what my conspiracy-loving mind thinking for a while, might be too ludicrous for some though)

I've been thinking that Yuzu might have not been given 3+ to keep the competition alive, since it will be rather meh if one person truly dominates the field.
As far as politicking go, just like what @micaelismentioned, ISU (and JSF) should well aware who is their biggest cash maker nowadays. So... My take is that they are juggling things a bit to keep all people happy. 

With that in mind, I am also curious how will Shoma fare when Yuzu is not around. I might not be following the last year's GPF and this year's World so much, but the point difference between the gold and the silver (During GPF and I think several other competitions? Not World, though) are just too small for my liking. 

41 minutes ago, vanadiezz said:

With that in mind, I am also curious how will Shoma fare when Yuzu is not around. I might not be following the last year's GPF and this year's World so much, but the point difference between the gold and the silver (During GPF and I think several other competitions? Not World, though) are just too small for my liking. 

The 2017 GPF was actually won by Shoma.  Shoma was given a 1 point time penalty at that competition (shades of Yuzu's SP at the Helsinki worlds 2017).  Nathan's lead was less than a point so if Shoma had not been given that technical penalty he would have won the GPF.