General Yuzuru Chat

On 7/13/2018 at 12:05 PM, MrPudding said:

On 7/13/2018 at 1:24 PM, dotsquare said:

Yuzu would make an amazing torch runner...imagine the crowds he would draw! 

Also super keen to see Yuzu flail his arms around as he runs across the countryside 

If Yuzu's chosen to be a torch runner, I bet he'd practice it with mock torch in his hand so that his Sasuke/penguin running form will get a special recognition by the Japanese media. He is such an Extra boy after all :0006:

1 hour ago, wingman said:

How far do torch runners have to run? With the crowd surrounding him the torch might not get very far... 

Jack must have seen the beer line to use "all eyes were on Yuzu...". I wonder if the joke came from BO himself :pouty:

I think less then a mile? I was watching the PC torch runners and there always security surrounding every runner. Jackie Chan was one of the torch runners and he was surrounded by security guards while fans tried to take pictures. Lol 

10 hours ago, hoodie axel said:

Is the nickname "Yuzu" a fan-given one? Does it have anything to do with this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_junos ?

Yuzu is probably a nickname given by those who are close to him when he was a child because we can hear his ex-coaches call him Yuzu in old documentaries and news clips. His old friends (e.g. Ryuju and Keiji) also calls him Yuzu.
In this press conference held 3 years ago when he receive an award, he refers to the nickname as a name people call him as a person, not as Hanyu senshu. (See from 3:14)

Rough translation of the relevant part (from 03:14)

Akiko: Akiko Suzuki from CBC's "Gogosuma." (A news show produced by a Nagoya-based TV station) Congratulations on your receiving Chunichi Taiiku Award. I think everywhere you go, people tend to see you as Yuzuru Hanyu, the figure skater. Do you have any moment you can be just you, an ordinary 20-years-old, not "Hanyu senshu"? 

Yuzu: I think Ms. Akiko Suzuki knows the answer pretty well...(laughs)

Akiko: (Laughs)

Yuzu: If I should answer the question, I would say in the backstage of an ice show, where I am with many skaters who are close to me.In such occasion, I feel... how should I say, I can feel that I am Yuzu, not "Yuzuru Hanyu." I can rarely be my private self when I am on the ice putting my skating shoes on, but when I am taking part in ice shows, there are many senpais who are soooo nice to me and kohais who I can depend on. Only in such occasions, I can be just a university student while being a skater. So I have fun in ice shows and I owe it to you, my senpais. (laughs)

*At this time, Akiko went there as one of the press without telling Yuzu about it when they were doing FaOI together a few days ago, So Yuzu looks surprised when he finds her.

11 hours ago, hoodie axel said:

Is the nickname "Yuzu" a fan-given one? Does it have anything to do with this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_junos ?

As others have said, Yuzu is just short for Yuzuru and a lot of people use it and have been using it since long before he had a lot of fans. (I think some people have said his family also calls him Yu, but I have no idea about that; he doesn't look like a Yu to me so it seems weird lol) However, even people close to him pick up on the Yuzu-yuzu thing. For example, (some of) the guys in Pandalion, as well as people at Ice Rink Sendai, call him Yuzu-pon. Adding -pon to names isn't unusual and it's a cutsey suffix, but in Yuzu's case, it's obviously also a pun, and reference to yuzupon.

Thank you satellites for your insights on 'Yuzu'. I'll add them to our Glossary for clarification.:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

The puns with yuzu the fruit are funny tho. I wonder what role Brian had in that product, all eyes on yuzu indeed. A pity they'll probably won't sell it in Japan :biggrin:

confession: before Yuzu, I had never known about the yuzu. Sadly here it's very exotic. You can find many foods with lemon, lime, grapefruit, bergamot, chinotto, cedar and even pomelo, but no yuzu. So when I was in Milan for WC and I found a yuzu praline in a chocolaterie, I had to try it di LOL. I wouldn't have if not for this weird connection :laughing:

19 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Thank you satellites for your insights on 'Yuzu'. I'll add them to our Glossary for clarification.:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

The puns with yuzu the fruit are funny tho. I wonder what role Brian had in that product, all eyes on yuzu indeed. A pity they'll probably won't sell it in Japan :biggrin:

confession: before Yuzu, I had never known about the yuzu. Sadly here it's very exotic. You can find many foods with lemon, lime, grapefruit, bergamot, chinotto, cedar and even pomelo, but no yuzu. So when I was in Milan for WC and I found a yuzu praline in a chocolaterie, I had to try it di LOL. I wouldn't have if not for this weird connection :laughing:

There is a yuzu tea that my mom always gave me when I was sick and coughing:

RINV0fs.jpg

It's a good blend of sweet and citrusy. I never knew it was Yuzu tea, though, until I tried some Yuzu candy because of Yuzu. (Actually, I drank this when I was in Korea for Pyeongchang and very very sick :14066882:) It tastes good, although I mentally associate it with being sick now :10640793:

I don't remember what was the first yuzu-flavored thing I tried, but I think it was during my first trip to Japan and before I became a Yuzu fan. I loved it instantly, so coming to love both Yuzu and yuzu was more of a happy coincidence for me lol Last year on the day I went home after the NHK experience, I had yuzu-pan and it was pretty good! Also, the warm yuzu drinks in the winter in vending machines in Japan are awesome!