General Yuzuru Chat

My World Cup experience so far just finding whatever scores and comments my friends posted in my SNS, so no comment either. :sipping:

Even though the comment is unfavorable, hope people can chill and let it go. Yuzu HAS won gold at Sochi and PC. I will only have problem with Kozuka 'doubting' Yuzu if it happened before the actual competition. 

1 minute ago, vanadiezz said:

Even though the comment is unfavorable, hope people can chill and let it go. Yuzu HAS won gold at Sochi and PC. I will only have problem with Kozuka 'doubting' Yuzu if it happened before the actual competition. 

From the little I saw it's not the doubt that's the issue it is the fact he compared something iffy to Yuzuru but it'll blow over. 

Honestly, I don't even have a problem with him doubting Yuzuru would win either of the golds, prior to or during the competition. He's entitled to his own opinions and there was a good case to be made that it was somewhat doubt-able, especially the 2018 one. He was in a bad state. I think listening to BESP commentators after he won the gold is a good representation of how many felt.

I mean as a fan, a part of me would have believed in his victory if he went out hopping on one foot so I'm not exactly unbiased here :68468287: but plenty of others thought it an impossibility. 

I also think Kozuka's comment wasn't ill-intended but I do think it was a bad analogy. I agree with Kiyozuka that it's not comparable. 

I find it funny that before Yuzu got injured, many people (Plushy, Max, fanyus) said that Yuzu doesn't need 4Lz, he can win with 4S and 4T only. But because we know Yuzu's character, we resigned ourselves that he will do 4Lz and 4Lo in PC. And then he got injured so he had no choice but to use only 4S and 4T. 

And then we have here Kozuka saying Yuzu opted for a safer strategy, like what Japan did in football. I'm not saying there's a problem with Japan's strategy, it's just that they were different circumstances. So yeah, not comparable at all. 

I saw some nasty comments about Kozuka and it's really hard to police them (thank you to the ones who tried) so please I hope we don't see some nasty ones here at least. 

11 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I'm not sure about others but I don't have a significant problem with that remark he made. Then again, I don't have a clear idea on what went down in the Japan vs Poland match and I have yet to see the full version of this program. But based simply on what the guy was saying, while his analogy isn't 100% on point, what he's saying doesn't strike me as fundamentally untrue, injury or no. And it didn't sound as though he was playing down what Hanyu did to me. On the contrary, he sounded kind of awed and subtly approving of said strategy. But I get  that not everyone may have heard the same.

I was more surprised by the lack of faith he admitted he had in Hanyu winning it again (he also admitted he didn't expect to him to take Sochi either) but then again, I probably shouldn't have been as he never struck me as one of the closer sempais, just one of those who watch from the sidelines more than having a lot of direct interactions with the guy himself. In fact, his revelation about Hanyu always having been very courteous to him says it all, as according to him, it sometimes gets to a point where it gets in the way of actual communication. So from that account, I surmise that Kozuka is more a sempai whom Hanyu respects but also maintains a respectful distance from. The interactions he described Hanyu as having with him sounds a far cry from the ones Hanyu has with the likes of, say, Oda and Mura, whom he seems to regard more as peers. Heck, his interactions with Miyamoto the choreographer is a lot closer.

It's nothing to really crucify the guy over, really, all things considering. But that's just me.

Also, one of the host dudes mentioned something about Hanyu having extremely passionate fans who may take offence at things like getting his name wrong (like mixing up Hanyu with Habu), and this seems to put some stock to this guy's observation. It seems oddly prescient of him somehow, although he probably probably didn't expect the backlash to be aimed at Kozuka.

Kiyozuka is pretty hilarious. xxD

Japan's team was booed and many were angry at them for the tactic they used in their game with Poland (check twitter if you want) and some people even said they should not advance because of it (I don't agree but that is how bad the reaction was), so the reaction to his words is actually understandable. Had he used the game against Belgium as example it would have been accepted better IMO even though Japan lost. In that game Japan put up a valiant fight against a strong team that everyone expected to win (it was for me the best game in in the world cup so far)

That being said, the fan should chill. There is no point in attacking Kozuka or anyone else, nothing will come out of it anyway and it is bad behavior no matter the reason

1 minute ago, Neenah said:

Japan's team was booed and many were angry at them for the tactic they used in their game with Poland (check twitter if you want) and some people even said they should not advance because of it (I don't agree but that is how bad the reaction was), so the reaction to his words is actually understandable. Had he used the game against Belgium as example it would have been accepted better IMO even though Japan lost. In that game Japan put up a valiant fight against a strong team that everyone expected to win (it was for me the best game in in the world cup so far)

That being said, the fan should chill. There is no point in attacking Kozuka or anyone else, nothing will come out of it anyway and it is bad behavior no matter the reason

Yeah, the strategy was valid but it does seem unsportsman-like. Really bad comparison to make imo. 

42 分, Yatagarasuさんが言いました:

Those who haven't been watching the World Cup (with us here too!) probably missed the Japan-Poland game where Japan played the last 15 minutes in such a way that even the manager ended up apologizing publicly at the end. It was a bit of a mess. Anyway Kozuka compared Yuzuru's PC tactics with those. 

Obviously one doesn't have anything to do with the other, and it's an unfortunate thing to use for comparing but Kozuka doesn't mean any harm, he's a nice lad, just a bit air-headed at times. It's unintentional but I'm glad Kiyozuka Shinya also said it's not comparable. 

22 分, Neenahさんが言いました:

Oh, so what the Japanese team did wasn't a good thing? Sure as heck disnt sound like it from the way Kozuka drew the comparison. Cos what he said about Hanyu's strategy made it sound like he feels it's an extremely sound and correct one (which it was). IiRc, what he said was, "He didn't go all out with difficult quads and just depended on what he knew he could win with." So that's what I thought the Japanese soccer team more or less also did to advance to the next round (albeit it seems like their strategy wasn't to win). Maybe that the criticism and realization of their error was how they were able to come back in the next match to score 2 goals against Belgium.

...either way, I guess he must have had an airheaded moment then, as @Yatagarasu put it, if the Japanese soccer team's attempt at it wasn't a well-received one. Maybe it's the fundamental idea he was trying to draw comparison to but failed to realize the huge difference in terms of situation and execution.

He was all positive and very honest in his input. Although seemingly not very close in terms of relationship, his observation of Hanyu from afar was a keen one. He said at the end that Hanyu's the sort that, when he gets something in his head, he'll just go ahead and execute it with very little hesitance, and sees it through to the very end. Like when everyone's happy with just being able to do one trick on a kendama, Hanyu would go beyond and learn whatever tricks he can. He also said that Hanyu is the kind that is able to achieve whatever he puts his mind to. I mean, I'm guessing Kozuka has finally allowed himself to believe that with Hanyu's win at PC.

38 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

From the little I saw it's not the doubt that's the issue it is the fact he compared something iffy to Yuzuru but it'll blow over. 

Honestly, I don't even have a problem with him doubting Yuzuru would win either of the golds, prior to or during the competition. He's entitled to his own opinions and there was a good case to be made that it was somewhat doubt-able, especially the 2018 one. He was in a bad state. I think listening to BESP commentators after he won the gold is a good representation of how many felt.

I mean as a fan, a part of me would have believed in his victory if he went out hopping on one foot so I'm not exactly unbiased here :68468287: but plenty of others thought it an impossibility. 

My issue with it not with the doubting one, but on speaking about it before the competition. Heck, even Brian had his doubt. But voicing the doubt before the event can have negative effect on mental health.

I would not have BESP uncles as examples on positive mental attitude either. It might be because of their British pessimistic nature, but I would be rich by now if I got a dollar for every of their "but he seems fragile..." comments during competitions. :rofl:

16 minutes ago, Erin said:

please I hope we don't see some nasty ones here at least. 

No worries.

Peeps can, and do disagree with him, but one can express that in a more polite way if needs be, which I'd say is more our thing :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

Plus honestly, while unfortunate, I am sure he didn't mean any harm. It'll be fine.

Off season and all. Especially this one, IDEK I keep waking up to things happening ... 

I feel like tomorrow, I'll be greeted with - Satoko and Keiji are a new pair or something. Because why not apparently :20111123175639e73:

Well, about the Japan vs Poland match, Japan basically walking in the last 10 mins, because if Poland had one more goal or Japan had one more yellow card, Japan wouldn't qualify. Poland had no chance to qualify so this was a deal between 2 team. There's alot of criticisms towards Japan because of poor sportmanship, alot of audience even booed after the match. 

As for Kozuka's comment, its a wrong and disrespecful comparision. No wonder I saw alot of japanese fans got angry this morning. And the fact that he said it on national TV could make alot of viewers misunderstand too. I'm not agree with people attack Kozuka but since I dont even know his SNS so I won't try to find and see what happened. I don't think he has anything against Yuzuru or any ill intention. People make mistake and say dumb thing. It happens. But I can say that, his words really ruin my day because it remind me of alot bad comments towards Yuzuru and his win at PC. 

@¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, it was definitely not a good thing. Internally, in Japan, there was a lot of condemnation. Somewhat of a controversial match. Here's a taste, even we wrote about it

so at that point, when you compare those two, it'd seem like he was saying Yuzuru also had very dodgy tactics and perhaps didn't deserve to win. 

It was a really unfortunate thing to say so many Japanese fans reacted. Brain blink for him. Happens.

9 分, Yatagarasuさんが言いました:

@¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, it was definitely not a good thing. Internally, in Japan, there was a lot of condemnation. Somewhat of a controversial match. Here's a taste, even we wrote about it

so at that point, when you compare those two, it'd seem like he was saying Yuzuru also had very dodgy tactics and perhaps didn't deserve to win. 

It was a really unfortunate thing to say so many Japanese fans reacted. Brain blink for him. Happens.

Thanks. Will check it out. All in all, I think his only error was mentioning that match because from what is described here, what he said later doesn't seem to gel too well with it as he wasn't wrong in saying Hanyu employed a tactic he knew he could win with, because he knew he could outscore everyone else in terms of GoE. This doesn't seem to be as parallel to the Jp vs Pl situation as his brain fart seemed to make it think it is so it sounded more to me like he was praising the Japan team's tactic, if anything. Lol. Oh well. Everyone makes mistakes. His remark, while unnecessary, wasn't so bad and it certainly wasn't meant to be  mean-spirited in nature.

I didn't think Kozuka meant any harm but the comparison was done just too casually and not really being thought through. I think Kozuka is courteous enough towards Yuzu but he is not really close to Yuzu to sympathise with his way of thinking so you cannot compare his view with the fans'.

I can see why some Japanese fans are angry with Kozuka's comment. Yuzu once said that it doesn't sit right with him for not giving everything he's got towards the performance and end up winning. He also said that there's no fun in leaving out something you can do it's because you don't need them for winning. What Yuzu did at PC wasn't leaving something out because he didn't need them in order to win. It was, as Yuzu himself said in an interview afterwards that he's done everything he possibly could within his condition at the time to win the 2nd gold medal. His condition being still nursing possibly the career ending injury but his desire to win at PC was so strong that he had to think through the cleverest strategy while he preserve the condition (meaning to minimise the further damage to his injury). As a result, Yuzu ditched the risky jumps and opted for the more stable jumps that are also less impact to the injury. 

How can you compare this with Japan team's strategy of doodling around the last 10 mins to secure their win? If you say two are the same in terms of it is called a strategy of 'choosing a safer path for winning' then you're missing a point. I believe Kozuka effectively said that Yuzu took an easier way to win and that is just far from the truth and I cannot blame if people think this as an insult. 

If Yuzu wasn't injured, we are sure that we'd see him perform the programs with more difficult layouts and probably had a new WR or two because that is the way Yuzu thinks and that is what he does.

Many Japanese see the way that Japan team won over Poland is a shameful win. We call it 潔くない = not a good sport. Knowing that, you can see why Japanese fans are angry with Kozuka's comment. But I don't think it's right to attack Kozuka either. It is just so careless on Kozuka's part for using Japan soccer team's win against Poland to compare with Yuzu's win. It was just stupid and nothing more. 

1 hour ago, Neenah said:

Just chiming in to agree, the Japan-Belgium game was really good in a good football and spirits all around kind of way, even if Japan lost. The best game of this tournament so far for me, too. And much more like Yuzu - even when there were competitors with superior BV (Belgium far out-gunned Japan there) and he was disadvantaged (because of his injury), he did what he could do beautifully, fought till the very end, and never compromised more than he absolutely had to. He gave it everything. 

Comparing Yuzu-s PC tactics to the game against Poland is not apt. He attacked.

Still, it's no big deal, our boy's got two Olympic gold medals. Silly comments vs two Olys golds with magnificent performances, hmmm.... 

7 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Just chiming in to agree, the Japan-Belgium game was really good in a good football and spirits all around kind of way, even if Japan lost. The best game of this tournament so far for me, too. And much more like Yuzu - even when there were competitors with superior BV (Belgium far out-gunned Japan there) and he was disadvantaged (because of his injury), he did what he could do beautifully, fought till the very end, and never compromised more than he absolutely had to. He gave it everything. 

When I log into twitter this morning and saw Yuzuru and Japan team in some tweets, I thought they were praised their fighting spirit becase I like the Japan-Belgium match too. Then I figured out what he actually said and I'm like " of all match why you had to choose that one ??????":facepalm: