General Yuzuru Chat

I have no idea how much he actually earns, but the amount of money he donates is outstanding, IMO. All royalties from his books. All the money from the parade were used to pay for the parade and the rest donated. All his money from winning the Olympics also donated. I guess this new amount might be from sales of the new book? Either way, it's amazing how much he gives away. (For the gift with the People's Award, I guess it would have been considered to ask to either ask for money and donate it or ask for some random gift and auction it ^_^; )

And then you remember how much he gives emotionally as well and how he pretty much dedicates himself to skating and to being "Yuzuru Hanyu", body and soul... how on Earth is he just 23 years old?!

And I'm not sure about Takashimaya and the photo exhibitions. I had the impression Takashimaya profits would also be donated, but that could just be information mixed up in my brain between the different events. I think profits from some of the photo exhibitions in Sendai at least are also donations (though most are free entrance and only few have goods for fans to buy).

I do tend to think he gets royalties from appearing in magazines, as well as his prize money. And from ice shows. (Also since athletes in Japan are technically employees of their main sponsors, I guess they might also get monthly salaries? Which I'm sure aren't much, but still.) It also helps that, AFAIR, ANA covers all his expenses for training in Canada (and probably generally most of his skating-related expenses), so he probably doesn't have to pay much to skate (as many others do). That alone makes things better for him, financially, I think. But I doubt he has as much money as he could have, given his popularity, if he were greedier.

57 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I do tend to think he gets royalties from appearing in magazines, as well as his prize money. And from ice shows. (Also since athletes in Japan are technically employees of their main sponsors, I guess they might also get monthly salaries? Which I'm sure aren't much, but still.) It also helps that, AFAIR, ANA covers all his expenses for training in Canada (and probably generally most of his skating-related expenses), so he probably doesn't have to pay much to skate (as many others do). That alone makes things better for him, financially, I think. But I doubt he has as much money as he could have, given his popularity, if he were greedier.

If this were a more popular sport, like football, he should be reaching C. Ronaldo and Messi levels for endorsement contracts.

Even though ANA covers all his expenses for training in canada, I imagine they don't cover other living expenses (ie his mother staying in Canada)?

5 minutes ago, Xen said:

If this were a more popular sport, like football, he should be reaching C. Ronaldo and Messi levels for endorsement contracts.

Even though ANA covers all his expenses for training in canada, I imagine they don't cover other living expenses (ie his mother staying in Canada)?

Good question. I'm not sure they'd be able to afford her always being with him if ANA didn't, though, to be honest... Maybe if she had an official function in his team - as his manager or so - then she'd be an ANA employee and her expenses would be covered, too. But no idea... Or maybe they don't cover her staying there, but if they cover his expenses, her staying there would be mostly just food and such... And maybe they do cover her traveling with him. In all truth, we have very little information and it's all speculation. My guess is overall they live comfortably, while still being able to afford some expensive stuff - like his clothes and earphones, especially the custom ones - but not really traditionally rich? So not sure they could afford the full expenses of his mother following him everywhere without help from ANA... (then again, ANA came in in pre-Olympic season only, I think? I always forget the timeline of that). It also depends on how expensive living in Canada is, because I have no idea. ^_^;

3 minutes ago, Sammie said:

I read somewhere that Yuna Kim net worth was almost 100 million usd from her endorsements and appearances. I wonder if Yuzu is even close to that?  :gla:

I never know: is net worth about how much they actually earn from stuff like that, or about potential to earn? I'm pretty sure Yuzu's potential is a lot higher than his actual earnings.

3 hours ago, moonkat said:

Where would Beijing 2022 go?

In a shirt pocket?

c466911d21454d90f9816f341ecf1a20.jpg

shirt by Antony Morato

I think simple design shirt would suit Yuzu the best. I'd love to see him in shirt & tie and braces just like the one he wore when he did 'sing sing sing' back in the junior days. :img_21: Yep I'm dreaming with my eyes open :dpooh:

With all his dedication to his hometown and ice rink, Sendai is well groomed to provide more Olympic champion in the future. :10636614:

I think he tends to donate earnings he received as Yuzuru Hanyu (the skater) since he wants to pay it forward for future generation skaters (hence earnings from competition, biography, JOC, etc) and (hopefully) save the incomes from his contracts and endorsements. 

And, IMHO he would not lose incomes when he retired. More time to do things + Hanyuconomy effect = More income than his current ones. :LOL: 

32 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I think simple design shirt would suit Yuzu the best. I'd love to see him in shirt & tie and braces just like the one he wore when he did 'sing sing sing' back in the junior days. :img_21: Yep I'm dreaming with my eyes open :dpooh:

Hmm...I want Yuzu to try out Hugo Boss:

Spoiler

Like this style:

hbeu50395218_001_10?$re_fullPageZoom$&ql

5 hours ago, kiches said:

I wish we could get a net-worth on him! He doesn't even do as many commercials and endorsements as he could, but the ones he has must be lucrative.

I'm also a bit curious if he gets a cut of all the photo exhibit merchandise, they must've sold a ton if you think about those lines.

Yeah that's what I am also curious about. I don't think he actually earns money from fan economy such as those pic exhibition and accessories products. I guess it is more likely that those fandom commercial industries get a huge profit from fans, but then what? Did those commercials just appreciate his image and fame and make money? 

19 minutes ago, Yukiko Sakae said:

Hi, everyone,

Now, I am posting after long time.

Today, I want to introduce a firework of  "Hope & Legacy" held last year. Very beautiful !!!

Coincidence! XD

We celebrate Independence Day (July 4th) in the US with fireworks but I didn't go so I just watched that one japanese event that did fireworks with seimei music from 2016 at home on my screen. I knew there was a more recent one with H&L too but didn't know if I could find it again.

Yay, thanks!

Hanyuconomy update via google translate (please correct me if I got it wrong): In Fujisaki (a department store in Sendai), sales for small accessories made from Sendaihira for the past 2-4 days (after Yuzu wore the hakama on TV) have already exceeded the amount of sales for the whole month of June.

ETA: Video!

2 hours ago, Anzi said:

Yeah that's what I am also curious about. I don't think he actually earns money from fan economy such as those pic exhibition and accessories products. I guess it is more likely that those fandom commercial industries get a huge profit from fans, but then what? Did those commercials just appreciate his image and fame and make money? 

I remember he purposely have local small business make those products so in this case it's his intention to let the small businesses make profit.