General Yuzuru Chat

Here are some random thoughts about Yuzu receiving the Japanese greatest honors. At the very beginning when I heared about this breaking news, I had some concerns about all the pressure Yuzu would undertake for now and in future. And to be honest, I am glad and simultaneously sad for his reward. The reason is that, as his announcement explicitly says, being an ordinary is never what people expect from him. I personally do not hope the one I like and admire has to be an outstanding existence and whose life must meet some standards and expectations so people can look up to. I'd love to see my idol lives as a normal person whose private life would not be intervened by too much outside viewings.

I still hold this point.

But I come to realize that people who live with honors and responsibilities actually have their own agenda and mission, with all the courage and determination that makes themselves unbreakable. Even sometimes his insistence makes him trapped into hard situations and being vulnerable to others' judgement, those are the cost of being what he want to be and achiving what he pursues to achieve. Just think about my own experience and a full heart of passion and courage I gain in the pursuit of my own dream, I can totally understand that feeling of being proud of taking responsibility for yourself and others. And that feeling can actually empower you.

1 hour ago, getsurenka said:

I don't know that he is the first recipient ever to refuse the gift/souvenir that accompanies the award. 

I remembered when the news of him being considered for such an honorable award first came out, many people voiced their disagreement publically, some even on the TV, citing the reasons that he is still an active competitive skater, or that his accomplishments as figure skater are incomparable to those in baseball and other popular summer sports. While I worried about the potential backlash, however small, he might face (especially with how aware and sensitive he is to the negative voices), ultimately I am really happy that he chose to accept the award. Not only because he totally deserves the award and the acknowledgement of his accomplishments, but also because I saw how many people are happy and proud of him when the news first came out. When I saw the news of all the celebratory messages the people of Sendai put out publically, I know this achievement means so much to the ones who are still struggling and trying to recover from the tragedy. In that sense, the award belongs to him and by extension to the people of Sendai and Miyagi. A commentator said in news segment yesterday that he always felt that the award was used as a political tool in the past, but this time he was really glad that Yuzuru receives this award because he saw how rejoiceful the people of Sendai and Miyagi were at the news (rough summarization). I felt the same as well. 

Lastly, for him to decline the gift with the rationale of not wanting the gift because this achievement is of many people and not just him, is so Yuzu. I have heard traditionally in the past the gifts given all have the values over 1000000 yen. And with him turning it down without a bat of eye is a testament of his character. Many fans reactions I read during the ceremony, and I concur, had said that his actions and his words are a perfect comeback to all the disagreeing voices in the past.

Overall, congratulations Yuzuru!

I wasn't surprised he declined the gift - he has an uncanny (for someone so young) feel for the right touch in these things. After all, how many Olympians of any  sport have simply handed over their winnings - twice  - to those in need?  The gift of the hakama was different, that was made specifically for him (by a Living Treasure) and a oh so personal present from his beloved home town.

2 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Nope. That's Yoshiko Kobayashi, JSF director. They were talking about the lady sitting beside him during the People's Honor Award - JSF President Seiko Hashimoto.

Kobayashi is the one Stephane and Alex fought over right? 

32 minutes ago, TallyT said:

I wasn't surprised he declined the gift - he has an uncanny (for someone so young) feel for the right touch in these things. After all, how many Olympians of any  sport have simply handed over their winnings - twice  - to those in need?  The gift of the hakama was different, that was made specifically for him (by a Living Treasure) and a oh so personal present from his beloved home town.

It was funny, that there was a TV segment during the day of the ceremony that people guessed what would be the gift given to him. Many people (and the fans) had guessed that it would be something related to sendaihira due to their connections with Sendai and that it is very expensive thus appropriate for the occasion. Then turns out he was already wearing a hakama made out of sendaihira to the ceremony and declined the gift lol. Personally I really like how he wore a garment representative of Sendai, made by people of Sendai, to such an important event. (And it is lovely that Yoshio Koda-san himself took the initiative to make Yuzu such a meaningful gift for the important occasion.) No matter what was the motive behind the award, I think the results triumph it all.

4 hours ago, valkyrie said:

huh... it’s kind of upsetting that he apparently feels like he needs to be hyper aware of how he presents himself even in his private life to avoid negative commentary. i wish the focus was more on dismissing the people pointing fingers and causing talk than on yuzuru restraining/changing himself in any way.

I don't really think it's about worrying about what other people think, but more of wanting to live a honorable life for himself. To live above reproach, to aim for the very highest for himself. When people are watching and when they are not.  It will also inspire others to want to be their best at all times not just when others are watching.

9 hours ago, airi said:

That would be great :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw: I have CBC and Olympic Channel versions, and well, Kurt Browning is amusing (and a little bit annoying in large doses) and I really like australian lady commenting for OC, but I love rewatching my favourite competitions with different commentaries <3 

And Yuzu looked really royal today :D Now, I hope, he goes back to Toronto to get the programs done :tumblr_inline_n2pje2YFXq1qdlkyg:

Oh you have the record of Olympic Channel version? Can you upload please? Maybe just the last group is ok :pouty: