General Yuzuru Chat

Not entirely related to what we were discussing here but I'm taking the freedom to link this interesting take from @kaerb about a certain kind of fan culture

It was interesting to me because I'd taken part in that kind of 'dragging' without even been aware and I asked myself why I do that,  why I find it funny and I even need that, all of this while never, not even for a moment, changing my appreciation for Yuzuru's personality, my love for his skating and my whole-hearted support for him. 

Do I believe Yuzu can do no wrong? No. He's a human being, albeit one that I'd classify very high in a rank of 'The best people I've ever known' and for me he is the best skater I've ever seen. 

Do I believe he should do whatever it pleases him without a care for what fans say? Heck, YES

And I believe he's wise enough to know that his fans can disagree with some of his choices but still love him.

And of course, he's free to change those fans' mind and prove them wrong. He's done that repeatedly. Heck, he might even enjoy the challenge...

Spoiler

He's done exactly that with many of us when last year he announced he was recycling all his programs. Back then, it was ok to voice one's disappointment or speculate whether it was a sound strategy or not. He still managed to make many of us, who weren't super happy at first, fall in love once again with all his 2.0 and 3.0.

And tbh (and you'll see if you go back yo that discussion) after Chopin reveal there was much more gloominess around, but through discussion among us we went past that. This is a place where fans can also express their doubts, their fears and even seek support and different opinions that may or may not change their views...and even some light-hearted jokes. After all irony is one of the most natural ways people use to defuse extreme anxiety or fear.)

and imo a fan forum isn't only a place of adoration, it's also a place where fans can discuss and worry and disagree while still feeling safe, because no matter what they think of this or that costume or a program or jump layout, they still share something big and substantial (like thinking that Yuzuru is a wonderful skater and a wonderful, if flawed, human being):tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

sorry if you all wanted to put the topic at rest and I have missed the hint :embSwan:

15 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

sorry if you all wanted to put the topic at rest and I have missed the hint :embSwan:

Isn't it amazing what we learn from forum everyday? Thank you for sharing this, it kinda give some perspective on how you deal with a fandom(?). 

One thing I like when joining in a discussion is to share thoughts and bantering in a friendly way, so these kinds of information is quite interesting.

:tumblr_inline_n0o1fjLfy91qid2nw:

4 minutes ago, Neenah said:

Do you guys see it?

9N0zInF.jpg

source: screen shot made by me

Hopefully this hasn't been shared before and I totally missed it because I am very proud of my discovery (yes, I need to get a life)

Perfection? What is there to see? 

9 minutes ago, Neenah said:

Do you guys see it?

9N0zInF.jpg

source: screen shot made by me

Hopefully this hasn't been shared before and I totally missed it because I am very proud of my discovery (yes, I need to get a life)

baby ballade lol

31 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Not entirely related to what we were discussing here but I'm taking the freedom to link this interesting take from @kaerb about a certain kind of fan culture

https://mobile.twitter.com/axelsandwich/status/1004577810567057409

It was interesting to me because I'd taken part in that kind of 'dragging' without even been aware and I questioned myself why I do that,  why I find it funny and I even need that, all of this while never, not even for a moment, changing my appreciation for Yuzuru's personality, my love for his skating and my whole-hearted support for him. 

Do I believe Yuzu can do no wrong? No. He's a human being, albeit one that I'd classify very high in a rank of 'The best people I've ever known' and for me he is the best skater I've ever seen. 

Do I believe he should do whatever it pleases him without a care for what fans say? Heck, YES

And I believe he's wise enough to know that his fans can disagree with some of his choices but still love him.

And of course, he's free to change those fans' mind and prove them wrong. He's done that repeatedly. Heck, he might even enjoy the challenge...

Reveal hidden contents

He's done exactly that with many of us when last year he announced he was recycling all his programs. Back then, it was ok to voice one's disappointment or speculate whether it was a sound strategy or not. He still managed to make many of us, who weren't super happy at first, fall in love once again with all his 2.0 and 3.0.

And tbh (and you'll see if you go back yo that discussion) after Chopin reveal there was much more gloominess around, but through discussion among us we went past that. This is a place where fans can also express their doubts, their fears and even seek support and different opinions that may or may not change their views...and even some light-hearted jokes. After all irony is one of the most natural ways people use to defuse extreme anxiety or fear.)

and imo a fan forum isn't only a place of adoration, it's also a place where fans can discuss and worry and disagree while still feeling safe, because no matter what they think of this or that costume or a program or jump layout, they still share something big and substantial (like thinking that Yuzuru is a wonderful skater and a wonderful, if flawed, human being):tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

I'm not sure if this is it, re dragging, but I think lots of fans feel the need to "humanize" their idol, not to treat him like a total god, knock them off the pedestal a little. That way we can go into full fawning/worship mode without feeling like total creeps. Hence the Dory, the boobskirt, the sea lettuce. 

26 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

I'm not sure if this is it, re dragging, but I think lots of fans feel the need to "humanize" their idol, not to treat him like a total god, knock them off the pedestal a little. That way we can go into full fawning/worship mode without feeling like total creeps. Hence the Dory, the boobskirt, the sea lettuce. 

Plus being someone's fan doesn't and shouldn't mean being completely blind to their faults. Wings of Words' costume was terrible, it's okay to say so! I didn't like the song either, so it wasn't a program I appreciated all that much, it happens.