General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Neenah said:

the quads,  required elements, and levels would kill the softness and beauty of the program.

I don't really agree. Quads and required elements didn't ruin H&L at all <3

I am not convinced Haru yo Koi will be his new FS though. But, if he has a similar, lyrical, soft FS, I'm all for it!! 

1 hour ago, Neenah said:

I hope it is not :noshake:  the quads,  required elements, and levels would kill the softness and beauty of the program. For me, the best thing about Haru yo koi and Notte stellata is the fact that it is mostly pure skating to the music with no care for BV or tricks and I would be very sad if this program is ruined by adding too many things to it to make it competitive.

Though I do want to see the reaction to the costume if he did wear it to completion (or something similar). There is a real potential for entertainment there :black-wings-smiley:

They couldn't pick on his skating blatantly as he's a two-time Olympics Champion, so they will pick on his costume choice? :animated-smileys-animals-047:

I doubt HYK will be his free, but it could very likely be his ex this season although I was personally hoping for a more upbeat ex since we had Notte Stellata last season. 

Plus I think Yuzu is going to stick with Shae and Jeff for his competitive programs. 

Regarding the young boy in the Seimei costume... I'm kind of in two minds about it. On the one hand, it's nice to see young skaters look up to Yuzu. But I think it's far better to take inspiration instead of doing a straight up copy, especially since costumes are very personal to skaters. 

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

I don't really agree. Quads and required elements didn't ruin H&L at all <3

I am not convinced Haru yo Koi will be his new FS though. But, if he has a similar, lyrical, soft FS, I'm all for it!! 

H&L was choreographed with these elements in mind so it works, while Haru yo Koi on the other hand does not have that in its design. It is a program that is made to respond to the music more than to certain requirements. It may work if they decided to change it but I would miss this free and unconstrained version a lot if that happened.

I also don't really think it would become the free but there is a good chance it may be his expedition.

To be honest, I also think that Shae-Lynn is better at integrating required elements into the choreography than most other choreographers so I would have been more optimistic if she was the choreographer because she definitely can produce something like H&L again.

4 hours ago, Kizuna said:

A bit random, but Yuzu did say that his rehab period would end before the last stop of FaOI, right? That means it should be about now. Yay! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

He's done really well with his rehab! Give him another week or two and I reckon his 4S will be back in full form. What I'm really curious about is what quad he'll train next, because it'll likely be the centrepiece for his new programs. 

I'm not sure if there will be enough time to stabilise 4A and I feel like Yuzu might still be traumatised by 4Lz although maybe that'll motivate him to get it back. He's got at least a few months left at his disposal so it's a matter of how much he can do in the time he has. My crazy guess is the return of 4Lo and maybe 4A.

1 hour ago, Neenah said:

H&L was choreographed with these elements in mind so it works, while Haru yo Koi on the other hand does not have that in its design. It is a program that is made to respond to the music more than to certain requirements. It may work if they decided to change it but I would miss this free and unconstrained version a lot if that happened.

I do believe that Yuzuru has the power to adapt any kind of very musical and artistical program in a competitive program though. I believe it's one of his biggest strenghts. Look at PW, look at Chopin or LGC. Especially in the Short Programs, Yuzuru has the absolute talent to highlight each and every musical note and climax through his body movements, hand movements and steps and spins, and also through spins and jumps. 

What I think would not work with Haru yo koi becoming a LP is the musical structure. It's too repetitive, too lyrically auto-fulfilling (I don't know how to explain it), there are no highs and lows and dramatic moments and energetic moments to insert within a LP. Hope and Legacy worked because it was two pieces of music, wisely put together to give nice dynamics, change of tempos and so on. 

So, in the end, Haru yo koi might be adaptable for a Short Program more than a Long Program, but I don't think it will be. I think it will stay an EX, and for the whole year, at best. If not, it will forever stay a skating gem in my heart. It's a continuously evolving masterpiece! 

7 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Random thought... what if Haru yo koi is actually an excerpt from his free skate?  He said that it was mostly done except for some adjustments for new rules.  At first, the time of the program made me think maybe it's the short but they would have to change the whole program to make it work with the elements.  I just watched it over and over and over and I can't believe that it's just a simple collaboration for the show... the program is more detailed and intricate than most skaters' competition programs.  His previous collaborations tended to be more generic in their choreography - in this one, every nuance of the music is highlighted.    I believe someone said you can do a single axel for the choreo sequence - to me, the part from the hydroblade through the ina bauer could be the choreo sequence, going right into that difficult spin entry, and the footwork into the (future quad) loop look like competitive choreography.

Probably his exhibition, but if it is his free skate, I get a giggle out of the idea of him wearing pink lingerie for competitions - he just needs to switch to tights to make it perfect.

Aside from what the others have said, a lot if not all of his skate is very focused on details and aesthetic aspect. Not only HYK but every ex is very lingering on music, too. Some may feel this ex is more intricate than that one but Yuzu puts his all into every one of them, so it's hard to say that's what makes it a potential FS. To say that is a bit dis-crediting to his other ex. 

And I do think Haru Yo Koi looks prettier in the center of the light with a nightly background rather than in a competition arena. So I'd love for it to be his ex for the season. To be fair, I think Yuzuru can turn any ex into his FS if he wants to.

re: how Haru yo koi would be as a free program

I tend to agree with @Neenah more

also, exactyl why I thought "noooo please" when someone (*cough*Max*cough*) said that maybe Notte Stellata could become Yuzuru's free program... Of course Yuzu is always free to prove me wrong, like he's repeatedly done:20111123175648e45:

plus Yuzuru seems to choose the music of his FS with some kind of layout already in mind, with him being so picky about how certain jumps fit where (like the 3F:P)... and 3Lo is probably not going to be his last jump and he would't put it late in a program like the choreographic elements would suggest if this program was meant as a potential FS... the program would need some serious changes to be made into a free program.

Also, I don't believe he would use his energy in a packed and stamina-wise already demanding free program to do more than the required jumps, so no, I don't think we'll see a delayed 1A in competition. There's just no point and it's not like it's as "easy" as a SE, probably it's not even as "easy" as a split jump, he's even slipped out of it sometimes, like in OWG Gala practice, and why would he insert one more risky element when instead he can keep his remaing energy for a last fast lv4 spin that brings him points... ok, he has his principles, but he's also a strategist...

now, if instead of a choreographic 1A he did a 3A as last jumping pass between hydroblade and IB... Maybe Haru yo koi isnt's a test for a free program but a test for a ChSq + last jump :winky: (tho in that case I think the panel would consider the ChSq to end before the jump, right? But it would still be so amazing...risky, but amazing):tumblr_inline_mm2wb3v3qq1qz4rgp:

the kids imitating costumes are cute imo, tho it's weird they would imitate costumes of a skater that isn't their fave :confused:(or maybe that kid agrees with us that Nathan's 'costumes' are hopeless LOL).

I find kinda cute when kids use similar music or choreo to that of their idols, it's some kind of genuine tribute and it's natural for kids to imitate what they think is cool (or maybe coaches want to make judges think along those lines and aim for cuteness bonus :laughing:).

IMO it's very different when a smol mushroom Zuzu copies Plushy's choreo and when instead a much older Vincent Zhou chooses as his senior debut a program with almost same music cuts of Yuzuru's iconic RJ1. Just like it's cute to see that little girl at the Mao Asada Trophy wear Mao's Rach costume and imitate her while I find more meh when for example Marin's ending pose in her senior debut FS looks like Mao's ending pose...

also, adding to people inspired by Yuzu's costume choices this is from quite an older skater and the program itself has nothing in common with RJ1 but I'd say the costume design is unmistakable :laughing: Tho I've seen this skater live a few months ago in an ice-show and idk, something did remind me of Yuzu... he did an IB that gave me a strong feeling of deja vu...it was before I found that video:knc_yuzu2:

13 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I've also come to terms today with the fact that I'm not actually a skating fan.  I like skating, but I was up last night, about to join in on the marathon when I realized that I was exhausted and sitting through all the non-Yuzu stuff just felt like a chore.  In the end, I just watched a bunch of Yuzu programs before bed and hoped I'd be able to depend on the kindness of Fanyus for the only parts that I honestly care about.

nothing wrong with that, but I can tell you that for example, a year ago watching whole 2017 FaOI felt like a chore much more than it feels to me watching whole FaOI 2018... it helps that now I know all the skaters and I've seen them repeatedly and I've come to like or appreciate many of them (for example, last season I was 'Rika who?' when she skated to her EX. Now I am 'Rika!!!!!'. Last season I had watched a couple of Aljona&Bruno programs but I was indifferent, then I watched Nebelhorn and suddenly fell in love...), so maybe you just need a bit more time :grin:

Tho ngl, the intensity of my liking Yuzuru's skating can't be compared... I have a soft spot for some skaters, I like some skaters' personality and some skaters' skating style and some skaters' programs but I rarely like all those things at once... and watching Yuzuru's programs still takes most of my 'watching skating time'.

And for other skaters I don't really go mad searching for the most HD of the HD videos or keep so many multiple versions of the same program, I usually go for the best and then bye, who cares for camerawork being better there, or for one video having this and that commentary or having a better shot of hands movements on a spin and so on...

I guess some skaters just click better with our personal taste :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Also (and Yuzuru aside) I've liked FaOI Kobe more than FaOI Makuhari, some of the collabs were really lovely (like Johnny's  and Nobu's)

ETA: wait, I'm Boobskirt now! :embSwan:

I miss the angry seaweed...it was gone in the blink of an eye.. gotta make this one rank pass in the blink of an eye too:P