General Yuzuru Chat

7 hours ago, kiches said:

Actually I think the all-event tickets sold out in about 30 min and all single tickets sold out by the end of the day, with Saturday being the most popular date sold out.

I hesitated one day while waiting for a friend to make up his mind about whether or not he could go and by the next day I was able to get only the Thursday and Saturday tickets. Strangely, Friday tickets sold out first. That's why we weren't there when Yuzu skated his world record breaking short program on Friday. 

17 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

I hesitated one day while waiting for a friend to make up his mind about whether or not he could go and by the next day I was able to get only the Thursday and Saturday tickets. Strangely, Friday tickets sold out first. That's why we weren't there when Yuzu skated his world record breaking short program on Friday. 

Oh you all missed the WR :( . Now that I think of it, I think Friday may be the day they invite school kids to watch and that’s why there were fewer tickets available/higher demand. 

Is the People's Honor Award also awarded to groups as well? Cos his apparently seems to be in the individual category, which I thought was the only category for this award...

And given it seems a huge deal that he's the youngest (individual) recipient to date, does anyone have any idea how far apart is his age from that of the next youngest (individual) recipient? At the time they were awarded the recognition, that is.

I keep going back to look at the award. How many medals is the size of that thing, I wonder...?

What else is there? The National Treasure status? At this point, that may be the only big thing he doesn't yet have under his belt, lol. Tho I think that's only awarded to old artisans involved with upholding traditional Japanese legacies by practicing their trade for more than half a century or something...I have a couple of Japanese earthenware made by one of them.

9 hours ago, turquoiseblue said:

I've watched this video any number of times and I've failed to find any videos of him in earlier competition.  The camera work is obviously of an amateur and the quality is rather grainy.  One really feels one is in a time warp as the scores are announced.  This is the only video I've seen where Yuzu is skating to the old six-points system.  What I find most fascinating here, though, is Yuzu's complete earnestness.  He doesn't have the superior grace which later would become a hallmark of his skating personality, but he has that dead seriousness that we've all come to know and love.  One of the great moves he makes in this skate is a Bielmann towards the end and it's almost as perfect as the ones he routinely tosses off today.  The Bielmann is the first of his trademark moves and it's easy to see that superior flexibility that allows him to routinely do stuff other male skaters can only attempt to do or not even bother to try and which I'm sure have garnered Yuzu many points on both the TES and PCS sides of the board.

28 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Is the People's Honor Award also awarded to groups as well? Cos his apparently seems to be in the individual category, which I thought was the only category for this award...

And given it seems a huge deal that he's the youngest (individual) recipient to date, does anyone have my idea how far apart is his age from that of the next youngest (individual) recipient? At the time they were awarded the recognition, that is.

I keep going back to look at the award. How many medals is the size of that thing, I wonder...?

What else is there? The National Treasure status? At this point, that may be the only big thing he doesn't yet have under his belt, lol. Tho I think that's only awarded to old artisans involved with upholding traditional Japanese legacies...I have a couple of Japanese earthenware made by one of them.

What I've been able to gather about the award is that it's not an annual prize but is only given out when someone is deemed to deserve it.  First awarded in 1977 it's only been given out 26 times (25 to individuals, one time to a group). Basically it's an award given out for excellence in sports, the arts and similar areas.  It is not an award given for political or financial success.  I don't know who else has received it so I really can't say how much younger Yuzu is from other recipients but I have a feeling, like we see in the Nobel Prize for Literature, that it's given out for lifetime achievement rather than for any specific accomplishment, which means that Yuzu is already recognized as having a career worth celebrating.  Another factor that might have been involved, though, is his public identification with recovery after the earthquake.  I don't know Japanese culture to any great depth but I do sense from multiple sources that the fact he was actually skating on the ice when the earthquake occurred has become symbolic of how the earthquake interrupted a normal afternoon for the Japanese nation and how all routine stopped when the shaking finally finished.

46 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

And given it seems a huge deal that he's the youngest (individual) recipient to date, does anyone have any idea how far apart is his age from that of the next youngest (individual) recipient? At the time they were awarded the recognition, that is.

What else is there? The National Treasure status? At this point, that may be the only big thing he doesn't yet have under his belt, lol. Tho I think that's only awarded to old artisans involved with upholding traditional Japanese legacies by practicing their trade for more than half a century or something...I have a couple of Japanese earthenware made by one of them.

People's Honour Award (国民栄誉賞) was created in 1977 by prime minister Takeo Fukuda.

There's an English Wiki page.

The previous youngest recipient is Yasuhiro Yamashita (Judo competitor/1984 Los Angeles Olympic gold medalist) as the age of 27 at the time he's received the award.

I believe this award is largely decided by the prime minister at the time and he consults with the award committee of some sort to consider the suitability. I have seen several news or social posts regarding Yuzu's case that he is too young to receive or figure skater is not worthy of the award, etc. But I believe they have decided to give the award to Yuzu not just because he's achieved double OGM, also Yuzu's continual effort towards charity work for the disaster area was the major factor as well. 

The National Human Treasure you're referring is 人間国宝. This is not the official name but it is used to call the person who is recognised in the registered national/traditional art or skill. Art including performing art such as Noh, Kabuki, etc and skills/crafts such as Japanese sword-smith, textile, lacquer art, pottery, etc. So unless figure skating becomes Japanese traditional art or skill, a figure skater will not be considered for the award.

1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/国民栄誉賞

if I understand this correctly, then the next in line was 27 at the age he got the award (Japanese version has more data than the others, but you can switch to English for a translation)

1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Honestly, at this rate, if Yuzu wins any more stuff, they'll probably make him a UNESCO World Heritage site. 

27 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Honestly, at this rate, if Yuzu wins any more stuff, they'll probably make him a UNESCO World Heritage site. 

i was about to say at least then we may have to fight less aunty fans to see him if that's the case but then i imagined a line stretching around 5 blocks to go and oogle at him standing on a plinth and...nevermind. 

7 minutes ago, kaerb said:

i was about to say at least then we may have to fight less aunty fans to see him if that's the case but then i imagined a line stretching around 5 blocks to go and oogle at him standing on a plinth and...nevermind. 

Hey, I might be one of those aunty fans.. . comparable in age anyway...:pouty:

And oogling Yuzu on a plinth... isn't that kinda what the parade was all about? :peek: