General Yuzuru Chat

This is what irks me most about Hersh' article: the way he phrases it suggests an inherent disrespect, like Yuzuru was just a footnote or little checkbox that Orser needed to check off.

It's so cleverly worded that I am convinced that he knows what he's doing. So, ironically he's a good writer but a scam of a journalist that kills the sport.

It's such a waste of potential talent and a shame to real journalism, the sport, and the athletes.

16 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

And after Nationals, some might stay home a bit longer (thinking of Yuzu, mostly, if he's really not that fired up anymore; wouldn't be the first time, either), so there'd be more time

Although, now that I think about it, Yuzuru hasn't won Nationals since 2015. He might want the title back. If you ask me, he's already put his mind to it c: 

1 hour ago, Yoa said:

It's not my tweet. But Phil basically likes to create drama and often quotes selectively. He is also a person who says one thing and later "suddenly" change his mind. Before Olympics he said that he will consider Yuzuru as GOAT if he wins his second title. Of course he was sure that injured Yuzuru will lose. But Yuzuru won and Hersh decided that Yuzu needs third Olympic title to be a GOAT... Or he tweeted that Brian told him that Yuzuru will continue until Beijing but it wasn't mentioned in the article. Also he was commenting (together with TSL) that Brian will never coach Jason because he isn't good enough for Brian... But now he is silent about it. I also remember that there were ice network articles with mistranslated (or worded in strange way) quotes from Yuzuru.

Thank you for the explanation. It's okay for people to change their minds or not see Yuzu as GOAT but to provoke or sensationalize by nitpicking statements or mistranslating or slanting the angle of a story :disdain:

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

Although, now that I think about it, Yuzuru hasn't won Nationals since 2015. He might want the title back. If you ask me, he's already put his mind to it c: 

Oh for sure. I just meant that after Nationals he might stay home longer than in the past two years, when he'd become more aware that training in Toronto was better than training alone in Sendai. He could maybe stay in Japan a week or two into January as well. But who knows, really. There's also the crazy option of Yuzu staying in Japan until Worlds, but even post-Olympics, that sounds scary. Yuzu training alone is still scary...

(Javi also has an ice show on Dec. 29th in Madrid, so his training will be weird anyway... I guess he could go to Toronto after Malaga, train until right before Madrid, go back for that, then go back to Toronto for a final spurt of training before Europeans... But I think his decision whether to try for Europeans or not will also depend on the rules and how they work.)

5 minutes ago, Msyloves said:

but to provoke or sensationalize by nitpicking statements or mistranslating or slanting the angle of a story :disdain:

We are not sure if that happened. Because Phil wrote a direct quote of Brian, and I think it is not easy to misquote that. 

6 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Oh for sure. I just meant that after Nationals he might stay home longer than in the past two years, when he'd become more aware that training in Toronto was better than training alone in Sendai. He could maybe stay in Japan a week or two into January as well. But who knows, really. There's also the crazy option of Yuzu staying in Japan until Worlds, but even post-Olympics, that sounds scary. Yuzu training alone is still scary...

I don't want that, bad things happen when Yuzu is left training in Japan by himself:slinkaway:

Guys, guys, I have a new word! OVERTHINKING, aka what Yuzu and we fanyus do all the time :headdesk2:

this thread wouldn't be >3600 pages otherwise:peekapooh:

It's easy to misinterpret everything. I still sometimes don't get why a lot of you take interpretation of facts and interactions we don't know anything about so seriously! Orser and Yuzu have a close relationship for years, and they learned how to communicate with each other. Orser is still the main coach in TCC, so he takes the decisions and the skaters never really had decisional power, although their feelings and opinions are taken into consideration, to preserve a healthy environment. 

But most of all, I don't think Yuzuru is the kind of person that would have any kind of problem, external or internal, with this sort of matter. He thrives off of challenges, he loves obstacles he can try to overcome, and I think Brain knows this. 

So, be calm! Everything's gonna be okay. Next season is gonna be amazing. 

26 minutes ago, Huiqi said:

We are not sure if that happened. Because Phil wrote a direct quote of Brian, and I think it is not easy to misquote that. 

I wasn't referring to the new article but the examples Yoa pointed out and looked up some on Twitter and Tumblr. I worked in PR and with lawyers before, I know how easy it is to do selective quoting to put out your own version of a story.

There's also the training partner aspect - if the plan back then was always for Javi and Yuzu to be training partners then yes, Javi being totally on board was vital to them both - had he been reluctant, it could have been extremely damaging to Yuzu as well, given how very young he was and what a huge change he was going into.

We don't know that any of the newbies are going to be Yuzu's training partner, and even if they do train together, it won't be anything like the same as working together to grow into champions.

While I dont like Phil and he did create drama sometime, I don't think Brian would give an interview to someone who can twist/misquote him again and again. Some of the words can change, or they can take out some quotes to fit their own narratives but the main things have to be there. I remember an article about Nathan go to Yale had a paragraph about Nathan's mom and Olys and they deleted it quickly. So If Brian found Phil misquote him, I think he would contact right away. This is online article, not print newspaper. I'm sure he check the article once it publish. 

But I could be wrong, given the state of FS journalism :slinkaway: I  also think we are over analyzing his words too much. 

I don't know if anyone else has posted about this but a thought just occurred to me about the shortening of the free skate duration.  That thirty-second reduction is almost certainly going to enable Yuzu to do things he hasn't been able to before now because of the limits his asthma puts on his stamina.  With thirty fewer seconds to push himself through it means that he doesn't have to worry nearly as much as previously about overextending himself.  True, his asthma will still be a consideration to take into account but I can't see anything but positives in the time reduction for him.  I realize, of course, that over the years Yuzu and Brian have adopted strategies to avoid repeats of those scenes we all remember from his early years of him almost prostrate on the ice after his skating.  Those scenes are long behind us but almost certainly programs since then were put together with the notion of making things such that Yuzu can finish on his feet and bowing to the audience.  Now things can be even easier when putting together his programs.

3 hours ago, LadyLou said:

Is Jedi Yuzu a thing or not? (re: FaOI 2018 OP costume)

1. Is Prince Yuzu a thing or not? (re: FaOI 2018 finale costume)
  2. is the hip roll a thing? (re: the attempt at a sexy move in Vertigo)
  3. do we call the sideways lunge pistol pose?
  4. do we ever use WL for White Legend?
  5. should we add the Ugly gloves? LOL I'm getting carried away:laughing:

Also, should we have something like "FS commentators, journalists &photographers, coaches and other significant people in Yuzu's life?" For example P.Hersh and Minoru Sano could go there, if we want (or even add some of the most common nicknames for other skaters? It would be only very marginally related but it could go under "general skatink lingo")

OMG Prince Yuzu yes

Hip roll yes please :rofl:

And yes to the commentators, photographers, journalists, coaches and other significant people!!! This particularly would help a newcomer understand many things that aren't easy to grasp. 

I would suggest some shows acronyms, too.

Is this OT? I'm not sure xD sorry if it is!! Tell me and I'll change thread.

Also YES to the "overthinking" (does anyone here like Tool? I am suddenly reminded of the song "Lateralus" by the state of this thread RN xD) which is what we are all doing regarding the article xD. I hope everything goes well with all the skaters at TCC. I am a bit worried about the amount of people and how they will distribute them and the training time and whatnot, but I try to think happy thoughts all the time xD.

12 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Well... back in 2015 Nobu & Miki talked about gold leaf ice cream... while stealing Yuzu's limelight :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Reveal hidden contents

I just saw this video and it reminded me of this. Is this what you mean?

Hmm.. That quote from Brian got me worried. The approach of thinking it should be okay if he didn't say anything has gotten a lot of relationships into trouble before. I'm not saying it's true in this case, but just not comfortable with that way of thinking about things. 

But anyway, don't mind me. Just a bit worried I guess. But I trust Yuzu. Whatever the situation he finds himself in, I'm sure he'll make it work (and will it to work lol).